The Student Room Group

BTEC Applied psychology

I missed years of education due to mental health and so the only subjects I'm permitted to do at sixth form are film studies, applied psychology and criminology.

Are there any decent universities that'd accept this qualification alongside an english A level?

I've looked on The University of Sheffield's website and it isn't mentioned.
What subject at Uni?
And is the BTEC worth 1 or 2 A levels?
Different unis will accept BTec qualifications for different courses. Firstsly, choose what you want to study at uni and then start looking at unis you are keen on to see if they will accept the qualifications you will be getting. Criminology is a great course to do at degree level and so is psychology so you have plenty of options.
Original post by Lauren 28119
I missed years of education due to mental health and so the only subjects I'm permitted to do at sixth form are film studies, applied psychology and criminology.

Are there any decent universities that'd accept this qualification alongside an english A level?

I've looked on The University of Sheffield's website and it isn't mentioned.

Look seriously before deciding on Criminology. Often it is the WJEC level 3 rather than a BTEC which many universities dont accept. @McGinger comments on this please. As far as I am aware the BTEC in Applied Psychology is accepted in most universities but you will need to have the one which is equivalent to 2 or 3 A levels as universities look for the equivalent of 3 A levels ie A 2 A level BTEC plus an A level.
As above, WJEC Criminoloy is a waste of time. Its a weird Welsh exam board diploma that is mostly True Crime nonsense with very little social science theory and is not even a BTEC - as a result some Unis will not accept it. Really - dont do it.
Original post by swanseajack1
Look seriously before deciding on Criminology. Often it is the WJEC level 3 rather than a BTEC which many universities dont accept. @McGinger comments on this please. As far as I am aware the BTEC in Applied Psychology is accepted in most universities but you will need to have the one which is equivalent to 2 or 3 A levels as universities look for the equivalent of 3 A levels ie A 2 A level BTEC plus an A level.

I've been doing WJEC criminology, Applied psychology and film studies since September. I'm 18 in February so perhaps the only alternative is doing an English Literature A level or a english lit and language combined A level alongside a access to higher education course.

If you have any other ideas, I'm very open to suggestions
I've been doing WJEC criminology, Applied psychology and film studies since September. I'm 18 in February so perhaps the only alternative is doing an English Literature A level or a english lit and language combined A level alongside a access to higher education course.

If you have any other ideas, I'm very open to suggestions

Depends what university you are applying for and what subject. Many wont accept your criminology. I know Bristol, Birmingham and UCL wont but there are likely to be many others. You need to check with the universities that you are interested in. An access to higher education course would appear to be your better option as most accept these. Usually you have to be 19 before commencing these. Check it out with your college.

The other issue is that most universities have a GCSE requirement. This is typically 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English Language and Maths. I have come across a few universities that have foregone the Maths requirement for some humanities courses but it is rare. Again you need to check that out.

Usually an access course does not need an A level course alongside it but it it does generally need to be in an appropriate subject to the course you intend studying eg humanities for say sociology, history etc or applied science for things like forensics.

Given your current options you would best contact universities you are interested in for their advice before deciding on your next course of action. Give then a telephone call on Monday.
Original post by swanseajack1
Depends what university you are applying for and what subject. Many wont accept your criminology. I know Bristol, Birmingham and UCL wont but there are likely to be many others. You need to check with the universities that you are interested in. An access to higher education course would appear to be your better option as most accept these. Usually you have to be 19 before commencing these. Check it out with your college.

The other issue is that most universities have a GCSE requirement. This is typically 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English Language and Maths. I have come across a few universities that have foregone the Maths requirement for some humanities courses but it is rare. Again you need to check that out.

Usually an access course does not need an A level course alongside it but it it does generally need to be in an appropriate subject to the course you intend studying eg humanities for say sociology, history etc or applied science for things like forensics.

Given your current options you would best contact universities you are interested in for their advice before deciding on your next course of action. Give then a telephone call on Monday.

I have GCSEs in english, maths, science and two BTECs in music and health and social care. I only sat mocks once after going AWOL from school for 2 years. This was in COVID 2020 times. My college doesn't offer HE courses for humanities as I'm not in the best area for higher education. The grade boundries for university should be reduced by up to 2 grades due to this. I will give Sheffield University and others a call.

Could I complete an unrelated level 3 qualification (the only one available is animal care level 3) alongside an english A level to do an english degree?
Thanks for the advice
(edited 2 years ago)
I have GCSEs in english, maths, science and two BTECs in music and health and social care. I only sat mocks once after going AWOL from school for 2 years. This was in COVID 2020 times. My college doesn't offer HE courses for humanities as I'm not in the best area for higher education. The grade boundries for university should be reduced by up to 2 grades due to this. I will give Sheffield University and others a call.

Could I complete an unrelated level 3 qualification (the only one available is animal care level 3) alongside an english A level to do an english degree?
Thanks for the advice

You really need to check things out with the universities you are interested in going to. Will they accept your BTECS which I assume level 2. I dont know and only they can tell you. Some might accept you without 5 GCSEs. Only they can answer that. Universities usually require the equivalent of 3 A levels and what they will accept will your qualifications only they can answer. What level will the BTEC be. Will it be a diploma, subsudiary diploma or extended diploma. You need to get eveything together and ask the university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending