My Dad keeps bugging me about revision

Watch
ds.15s
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 weeks ago
How do i explain to my dad that the amount of work hes trying to make me do is way too much. He wants me to do 6 hours on Saturday and 6 hours on sunday and cant stop talking about how close exams are and it just makes me want to revise less because of unnecesary pressure. Im not doing the best i can right now im averaging 5-6s across my grades but hes not helping

hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Is he Asian?
ds.15s
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Is he Asian?
Lmao no. Hes african. His expectations are just so high but doesnt realise how hard hes working me. I sat with him doing Chemistry work for 2 hours straight and its just so hard to deal with
Advertisement
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ds.15s)
Lmao no. Hes african. His expectations are just so high but doesnt realise how hard hes working me. I sat with him doing Chemistry work for 2 hours straight and its just so hard to deal with
Grades are important but mental health and not burning out should be more important than that. You could ask him to lower your workload if your grade improves for your next mocks for example.
aliaa03
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
tell him that revising for longer hours is less effective and ur not retaining it so you should split it up / revise less
Advertisement
starxdust
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Is he Asian?
lol i love how this is the first thing you ask
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by starxdust)
lol i love how this is the first thing you ask
All I'll say is that I have experience.
Advertisement
wifd149
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
PRSOM!
starxdust
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
asian parents are hard to deal with. i hope yours werent too bad
Advertisement
wifd149
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by starxdust)
asian parents are hard to deal with. i hope yours werent too bad
… speechless.
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
:awesome: and I have experience with African parents
Are they actually looking over your shoulder for the whole of the six hours?
I personally would take that time, use it to make revision material, especially if it's forced time as I may as well do something productive even if it isn't proper hardcore revision (and they take away screens, which is harder with school work being online)

If it gets to the point where you really can't take it, have a conversation DO NOT shout at all, that will just worsen the situation to no end, he might assume that GCSEs and the UK education system is similar to ones in Africa, maybe tell him the difference and explain/justify why you cannot be revising for 6 hours

Advertisement
starxdust
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by wifd149)
… speechless.
oh
Flk10
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It’s tough- but it sounds like your dad does have your best interests at heart. There’s only a few months until exams so tbh I would say 6 hours of study a day at weekends is reasonable over these few weeks (with more on school nights).

It won’t feel like it at the moment but you will thank yourself and your dad in the future.
Last edited by Flk10; 1 week ago
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (36)
21.95%
Note taking apps (5)
3.05%
Flashcards (29)
17.68%
Revision guides (5)
3.05%
Past papers (83)
50.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.66%

Watched Threads