Has anyone been to a state high school and been accepted into a grammar sixth form?

Watch this thread
Sazzysz7
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,
I am currently working towards my GCSE’s and go to a state high school which is right near my house. I really want to go to a grammar sixth form and want to know tips on how to get in. Also, if anyone was from a state high school and has been accepted into a grammar sixth form then please leave a comment below on your experience/tips and just how you did it!

I know some really good grammar schools (e.g MGS/MGGS/WGS) right on my street! If any of you have been through the state high school to grammar sixth form process please comment below your story etc!

+ any more tips etc would be highly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance
anonymus333
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 but my cousin went from a state school to a grammar 6th form and he really thrived in that challenging environment. He was given a conditional offer in November when he applied and did the interview, however I am unable to do that because my maths grade is 2 grades lower and so is my science, but I hope to enrol on results day with my actual GCSE results. Have you got an offer or are you going to enrol on results day like me? Also which 6th forms are u thinking
hannahbbk134
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Me it’s hell in here 😭 jk but no fr I actually hate it just go to a good sixth form and do not be deceived by the title grammar, my state secondary school’a sixth form has better teaching quality and provides far more support than my horrible grammar sixth form which I hate.

I left to enter a more challenging environment, thankfully more people are normal here (although there are some really stuck up people that act like going to a grammar school is life’s biggest achievement...). Also going to a grammar school because it’s selective bars you from certain opportunities e.g some foundation year courses and some other stuff can’t remember but yeah, if you’re not into that then don’t worry about it.

The most important thing is TEACHING QUALITY not if it’s selective or not, because grammar sixth forms have pretty much the same entry requirements as others. Please do not make the same mistake I did 😭

Edit - Also to fully answer your q: just work hard to Atleast get like 45 points at gcse, it’s pretty much the same as any normal sixth form, but I’m my case there’s a lot less freedom like we’re in school 8:30-3:20 most days whereas other sixth form students may get to finish at like 11 which we never do, but that depends entirely on the school so take that with a grain of salt. I found it challenging at first cause I thought I was so dumb compared to everyone else, but it’s literally so normal once you finish like term 1 you see most people are in the same boat as you.

Good luck !!
Last edited by hannahbbk134; 4 months ago
Sazzysz7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by imaanali15)
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 but my cousin went from a state school to a grammar 6th form and he really thrived in that challenging environment. He was given a conditional offer in November when he applied and did the interview, however I am unable to do that because my maths grade is 2 grades lower and so is my science, but I hope to enrol on results day with my actual GCSE results. Have you got an offer or are you going to enrol on results day like me? Also which 6th forms are u thinking
Hi, I’m currently in year 10. Where are you from? I’m from Manchester so I’m probably thinking to apply to MGGS/WGS(and I’m thinking about the rest!). Which sixth form might you apply to? Did you cousin get an conditional offer based on his predicted grades? Also, what questions etc did he get asked in his interview? Don’t worry if your grades are lower, try your best to beat your predicted grades!!!
anonymus333
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sazzysz7)
Hi, I’m currently in year 10. Where are you from? I’m from Manchester so I’m probably thinking to apply to MGGS/WGS(and I’m thinking about the rest!). Which sixth form might you apply to? Did you cousin get an conditional offer based on his predicted grades? Also, what questions etc did he get asked in his interview? Don’t worry if your grades are lower, try your best to beat your predicted grades!!!
My cousin applied for bio, chem and maths and further maths and I remember he was given a newspaper article about covid vaccines and he was asked to talk about it and then asked academic questions based around his subjects, such as they gave him some maths questions to solve under a timer. I am applying for humanity based subjects and I'm from Birmingham so Camp Hill Grammar is where I'm aiming for. Yes, I am achieving brilliant results now and working towards straight grade 9's hopefully, good luck to you
Last edited by imaanali15; 4 months ago
Parinoor
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
ik someone who goes to a grammar 6th form from a state and got 8 9's - which i think is key

another good thing todo is visit their open days and talk with the students in how they got there ... may be useful if they share the tips or what to do!
Sazzysz7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thank you so much for your reply!!! It really means a lot to me 🤗 Also, if you have any more general tips or study tips, please let me know!!!

Thank you once again!! 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads