Are prelims harder than the actual sqa exams?

Watch
georgiasanders
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
so long story short, i take 5 highers (english, math, human bio, history and chemistry)

I never sat official sqa exams last year due to covid and what i’m wondering is, are the prelims harder?

i didn’t do terrible in the prelims however definitely not straight As which really disappointed me. The higher maths prelim was absolutely brutal and it’s really making me nervous
Last edited by georgiasanders; 2 weeks ago
Hm?
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
There’s no need to worry too much, I’m doing higher and it was always pointed out to us (since nat 5) that prelims will be harder than the main exam as a means to force people to study. My school says it acts like a shock to people who would do well but haven’t put in the effort and gets them to try a bit more. My brother is a couple years older and he got I think a C in his English prelim one of the lower in the year and ended up with an A in the final. A friend of mines older brother also used to bunk school all year and do the prelims and barely pass only to get straight As in the finals.

Really don’t stress too much about what you’ve gotten in the prelims but rather use it as a means of encouragement and analysis to see what you can improve on. 9/10 times there will be nowhere near as hard questions when you sit the main exam. I think with covid they’re putting that extra pressure making prelims that bit harder than they were as well but in finals they want people to pass so they’ll make them easier than normal but still realistic (my theory hahah).

You’ll be fine
georgiasanders
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
thank you! this made me feel better lol. due to covid we never sat nat5 prelims so these were our first ever prelims, but i’ve heard similair stories from lots of people in the year above and just hoping the exams go well.

good luck for your prelims!
Voaly
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Hello there, was your Higher Maths prelim a pegasys paper by any chance?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.01%
October 2021 (196)
45.79%
November 2021 (44)
10.28%
December 2021 (57)
13.32%
January 2021 (47)
10.98%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (40)
9.35%