The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Uni of Bath VS Uni of Nottingham

I have applied to both Universities for BSc Management with placement year for 2022, and i want to find out which one is better and which one i should consider as my firm choice.
Any comments on the overall experience/placement opportunities/social life/living costs/accomodation/facilities will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance:smile:
Bath is probably a more expensive city than Nottingham, and the campus is mostly concrete whereas Notts is older and more attractive.

However, this isnt the only thing to consider when choosing a Uni for your Firm choice - the course content, work experience opportunities etc will make the biggest difference to your student-experience and the usefulness of the degree. Read all of this - the 'piece of paper' exercise at the end is very useful - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hi,
I am a second year at Nottingham University so I am biased, but I think its a great uni and city! I find it's the perfect balance between city and open spaces. Livings costs I would say are quite standard and all the accommodation is very well kept.
Let me know if you want to know anything specific or if I can help with anything else!
As a city, Bath is much much nicer than Nottingham.

Bath seems safe and clean at almost all times - Nottingham kind of turns a bit Wild West after 5pm.

People like different things, Nottingham is bigger and the uni is more varied. The sports facilities are outstanding - prob second only to Lufbra and some of the best in the country. I'd just rather live in Bath - but having said that the town does come across as a full of rich aging hipsters.
Original post by Anonymous
I have applied to both Universities for BSc Management with placement year for 2022, and i want to find out which one is better and which one i should consider as my firm choice.
Any comments on the overall experience/placement opportunities/social life/living costs/accomodation/facilities will be much appreciated.

I’d suggest Nottingham. Bigger and more active with good prospects.

Depends what you want, academically & prospects wise their isn’t a lot in it.

The bigger differences are the cities, area of the country & cost of living. Id think the campuses & facilities might be quite similar. I suspect Nottingham has a larger one but I think both have a lot of greenery around the university facilities.

I went to Nottingham, I wouldn’t of considered Bath personally, I wanted to go somewhere with more nightlife, bars, clubs, pubs... it’ll certainly be cheaper in the midlands as well.

Hi,

Great to hear you have applied to Bath! I am a final year Business student and would be happy to help with your question.

I have loved my time at Bath so far and will definitely be sad to leave! In terms of overall experience I'd rank Bath very highly. The city is beautiful and there is so much to do/see. There's lot of amazing historical landmarks (including the Roman Baths, The Royal Crescent and Bath Abbey), pretty parks (which are especially nice in the summer), as well as so many restaurants, bars, bowling, mini golf, the cinema etc etc.- you'll never be stuck for something to do.

The social life in Bath is also something I've really enjoyed. The university has so many different sports clubs and societies (check these out here), as well as an amazing student run Student Union which hosts loads of fun nights such as cocktail night, quiz nights and bingo- so you'll always be able to meet and go out with people who like the same things you do! Other facilities on campus include a mini supermarket on site, a fantastic gym and other sport facilities (including tennis courts, squash courts, an Olympic size swimming pool and a running track), a University Medical centre and a 24-hour library and security team.

The placement opportunities at Bath are great. The University of Bath has lots of fantastic connections with different companies including companies like L'Oreal and Kraft Heinz. We also have a fantastic placements team which are there to help everyone with their applications and CVs, they really go above and beyond for getting everyone a placement that is right for them.

In terms of living costs and accommodation these definitely vary depending on where you stay. In first year the different accommodations can be found here- which should give you an idea on what to expect. I stayed in Eastwood in my first year which I really enjoyed as there was 13 of us and we all got along really well! For second year onwards there is an area called 'Oldfield Park' where quite a lot of students tend to live as it isn't too expensive. My rent is about £550 a month which is pretty average for Bath. Oldfield Park is also only a 15 minute walk to the city centre too so it is an ideal location. If you were to live closer to the city centre then living costs would be a bit more expensive.

I hope this helps- I'd be more than happy to answer any more questions you may have about the course or Bath in general!

Best of luck,
Kayley
Final Year Business Student
Where did you end up - Uni of Bath or Un of Nottingham?

Hi there, I am a second-year student at the university of Bath.

Both universities have their merits so I am sure either would be a great choice. However, I have absolutely loved my time at bath and would recommend it to anyone thinking of applying. Bath is a beautiful city, very safe and everything you need within walking distance. It has a myriad of things to do in the day such as the cinema, axe-throwing, escape room etc., plus a decent night life and if you’re looking for more excitement, Bristol is only ten minutes on the train.
The university itself is amazing. Everything is on one campus, so you don’t have to worry about travelling around for lectures, Bath offers an incredible amount of student support from academic to financial to mental well-being, and it is ranked in the top five for your management course. Furthermore, bath has an excellent placement reputation and majority of its students all take a placement year since bath has a whole bunch of connections to companies for a lot of courses. First year accommodation is guaranteed and mostly on campus, more can be found out here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/professional-services/student-accommodation/

Bath also has incredible societies (from arts, music, cultural, dance) and sports facilities including an Olympic swimming pool, football pitches, tennis courts etc. Furthermore it has 24 hour security and library access for extra safety and support for its students.
I hope this helped inform your decision!

- Sophie (Uni of Bath rep)

Quick Reply

Latest