BSc is 2.2 but MSc is with distinction. Put both in my PhD application?

Watch
lollipop_satan
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Basically I have a 2.2 BSc but for my MSc got the best grade. Should I put both in my Ph.D application (STEM field)? I feel so embarassed by my BSc score that I just want to omit it but am proud of receiving the degree itself.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lollipop_satan)
Basically I have a 2.2 BSc but for my MSc got the best grade. Should I put both in my Ph.D application (STEM field)? I feel so embarassed by my BSc score that I just want to omit it but am proud of receiving the degree itself.
Yea, they’ll expect to see both, just make the MSc the more prominent qualification, i.e. above the BSc on your resume.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
They'll ask if you miss the BSc out, and then it highlights your embarrassment. Own it and explain it when asked.
lollipop_satan
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
Yea, they’ll expect to see both, just make the MSc the more prominent qualification, i.e. above the BSc on your resume.
Alright thank you! They did ask to put the more recent qualification first so thank goodness.
lollipop_satan
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
They'll ask if you miss the BSc out, and then it highlights your embarrassment. Own it and explain it when asked.
Oh yikes alright then, thank you! Definitely have a few good reasons for it.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
As others have said, you can't leave it out, as you'd then have to explain the gap in your CV anyway.
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Hey lollipop_satan!

OMFG! I completely understand what you mean and how you are feeling! I felt the exact same way when I was applying for my PhD. I definitely agree with what everyone has said that you shouldn't leave it out of your application.

I want you to picture it this way. A BSc is like making a plain cake. You have all these different ingredients; flour, eggs, essence etc etc (lol). Those ingredients are the basic things you should know within your programme. BUT HOLD UP! We wanna add a little razzle dazzle to our cake and you upgrade that plain cake to a nice red velvet cake. It has in all of the previous ingredients but you're adding more ingredients; the red food colouring and cocoa powder. In this case, the upgrade is the MSc which in the end, you perfected that cake and received a Distinction. (I really hope you understood the analogy here LOL).

I know it may seem embarrassing but use it to your advantage. Reflect on how you have enhanced your knowledge and experience in the STEM Field and how it has enhanced your overall personal development. I wish you the best! YOU GOT THIS!

- Dennis (PhD student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.41%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.69%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (139)
26.13%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.27%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (256)
48.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.38%

Watched Threads