How can i improve on Core subjects

Watch
ds.15s
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
In my Maths mocks i got a 6. In my Science mock i luckily a 4 and nearly got a 3. How do i improve this i dont have any decent revision methods just somehow manage to do ok in maths

SparklePanda009
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Is there a specific subject (bio, chem, physics) you particularly struggle with?

Try to do revision posters and lots of exam questions before tests so you are familiar with the style of questions. Maybe do some flashcards. Look into using revision methods like the Pomodoro, which is basically where you do 25 minutes of work then have a five minute break, and repeat this four times (so, after four blocks of twenty five) then take a 30/25 min break. Maybe also put on study music (you can find lots on YouTube). Do you think yourself to be lacking knowledge or answering technique?

For me, questions are best. You could be ok in theory, but not know how to answer/what to write down or won't know how to flexible and apply your knowledge to questions.
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ds.15s)
In my Maths mocks i got a 6. In my Science mock i luckily a 4 and nearly got a 3. How do i improve this i dont have any decent revision methods just somehow manage to do ok in maths
Hi there.

For science I recommend you know all the formulas/equations and are able to use them comfortably alongside unit conversions. It's also important that you are comfortable on the content so that you can do as many past papers as possible for practice and to improve your exam technique. Free science lessons on Youtube provide great explanations for GCSE science concepts ( mainly chem/physics)/

Best wishes.
Advertisement
ds.15s
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SparklePanda009)
Is there a specific subject (bio, chem, physics) you particularly struggle with?

Try to do revision posters and lots of exam questions before tests so you are familiar with the style of questions. Maybe do some flashcards. Look into using revision methods like the Pomodoro, which is basically where you do 25 minutes of work then have a five minute break, and repeat this four times (so, after four blocks of twenty five) then take a 30/25 min break. Maybe also put on study music (you can find lots on YouTube). Do you think yourself to be lacking knowledge or answering technique?

For me, questions are best. You could be ok in theory, but not know how to answer/what to write down or won't know how to flexible and apply your knowledge to questions.
Physics i definitely struggle with the most. I sit at the back of my classroom and my teacher decided to shout to me that my physics test result was dreadful which didnt help, and then laughed at me for no reason.Chemistry and Biology I'm slowly improving though. I think its how its mostly poor answering technique. I think my knowledge is ok and im able to answer the questions on an OCR paper but i answer them poorly which makes me lose marks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (36)
21.95%
Note taking apps (5)
3.05%
Flashcards (29)
17.68%
Revision guides (5)
3.05%
Past papers (83)
50.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.66%

Watched Threads