Cox Model and SMR

Watch this thread
EmmaC_
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Is it necessary to have both hazard ratios and survival ratios in the same piece of research? I am confused because I am trying to identify whether this research I am looking at who have done both is necessary.
For the survival rate (SMR): they looked at the incidence of each variable in the diseased part of the cohort
For the hazard ratio (from Cox proportional hazards model) (HR): they looked at the effect of the variables on the disease
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by EmmaC_)
Is it necessary to have both hazard ratios and survival ratios in the same piece of research? I am confused because I am trying to identify whether this research I am looking at who have done both is necessary.
For the survival rate (SMR): they looked at the incidence of each variable in the diseased part of the cohort
For the hazard ratio (from Cox proportional hazards model) (HR): they looked at the effect of the variables on the disease
It's not entirely clear what you're asking here; perhaps a link to the piece of research you're talking about would help. But it's quite standard to present both hazard ratios and standardized mortality rates in the same piece of research - after all, they give you slightly different views on the effects concerned. The hazard ratio tells you the relative rate of events for two different sets of covariate values; the SMR turns that into an estimate of the relative number of deaths in the two arms. All depends on what you want to communicate from your research.

So, no, it is not "necessary" to present both (I frequently don't), but you may wish to if the two methods are both informative.
Last edited by Gregorius; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
23.53%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (11)
32.35%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
8.82%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
17.65%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
5.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads