Do universities consider applications even if predicted grades are lower?

Watch
nisaa_
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi Guys,

I am applying for computer science at Bath (AAA-reduced offer), Leeds, (AAA), KCL (A*A*A), Exeter (AAB-ABB) and Royal Holloway (AAB-ABB).

I am having second thoughts on applying to these unis because I don't know if it is worth to since I'm predicted AAB with a B in maths and an A in computer science and psychology.

Any help would be appreciated.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Do you know what the two different grade sets from both RHUL and Exeter are based on - ie. do particular A level subjects widening-participation criteria etc determine which you would get ...?
Jonathanツ
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I would assume the reason why they are so high is because the demand for the courses are so high
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nisaa_)
Hi Guys,

I am applying for computer science at Bath (AAA-reduced offer), Leeds, (AAA), KCL (A*A*A), Exeter (AAB-ABB) and Royal Holloway (AAB-ABB).

I am having second thoughts on applying to these unis because I don't know if it is worth to since I'm predicted AAB with a B in maths and an A in computer science and psychology.

Hi nisaa_ 👋,

Firstly well done on being predicted these grades, this result would be amazing! Secondly, I cannot speak specifically for these universities so this advice will be general.

As I am sure you know, when applying to university you submit a personal statement and will more than likely have an interview as well as them seeing the predicted grades you have. Universities do read all applications that are submitted to them so you would be considered, however your chances of being accepted onto these courses would be lower because of your predicted grades not matching their requirements.
This is not something to dwell on though as some universities will offer students unconditional offers, which generally happens if you impress them with your personal statement and they want you as a student regardless of the grades you achieve.
If one of the universities you are particularly interested in has higher grades than the predicted ones you have, there is nothing wrong with applying and seeing what happens.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Shelby - UoP Rep 😃
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
will more than likely have an interview as well
Not unless they are apply for Oxford or Cambridge or a healthcare/teaching/social work degree.
Other Universities no longer routinely interview - and certainly not for Computer Science.
Last edited by McGinger; 1 week ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Unis that use predictions do look at candidates predicted below, but usually only a grade or two. Your choices are sensible with the exception of KCL which is a stretch too far.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
They might do if the rest of your application is really good nothing wrong with a few aspirational applications but do do just do them make sure you also apply to places you have a good chance to get into that you actually like.
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nisaa_)
Hi Guys,

Ring up those universities on Monday and ask if you’d be considered willing those predictions or if the predictions would mean you would be rejected without any further consideration.

Then adjust/adapt your choices if they’re not encouraging on the phone.

Every university will have different priorities, criteria and selection rules. If you’re not sure then check with them directly FIRST. They won’t encourage you to apply if there’s no chance of an offer (that’s just creating pointless work for themselves!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (74)
13.31%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.62%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
25.54%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
7.91%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (269)
48.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise