Brutus' Post-Operative Wellbeing Blog

Watch this thread
BrutusofBritain
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Why?
P.S I'm going to talk about my injury & operation in the first spoiler. Nothing graphic, but if that's not your jam skip over it.
Spoiler:
Show
A couple of years ago I tore the cartilage in my hip joint. Cartilage doesn't heal itself sadly and due to a combination of me initially not seeking help for it and then our friend coronavirus I had to wait until November for my hip arthroscopy to fix it. This was keyhole surgery where they stitched the tear back together again. I'm finally at the point where my three scars are healed enough that I can swim!

It's now been two months since I was fixed and I am on my road to recovery :badger:
However, I am also in my final semester of my undergrad :eek3:

What with coronavirus and this injury and university, my mental health has not been at its best the past little while either, so hopefully 2022 will be me getting everything back together again.

My Goals
  1. Be fit enough to do some hillwalking over the Summer (I was told I should be recovered enough to do some proper sport by May)
  2. Do my physio exercises like I'm supposed to
  3. Avoid injuring myself again by doing too much too soon
  4. Allow myself the time to relax (I have a cross stitch to finish and have just started Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings)
  5. Get a 2:1 despite it all

Thoughts & Feelings

Feeling good! :h:
Spoiler:
Show

I have just stopped using my crutches and have started trying to go for walks as close to daily as possible. I intend to use a walking pole when it gets icy just for a bit of support.

I have physio again after xmas on Monday and I'm hoping she'll give me some good exercise to do (bought my gym membership today with high hopes).

Slightly worried! :sigh:
Spoiler:
Show

In Semester 1 I thought I was going to have no issues before the operation but that turned out to not be true. Sitting in classes turned out to be the worst thing for my pain. So, I have some concerns about when I go back to classes and whether I'll be back to being in pain.

I also have concerns about my uni work - I missed a lot last semester and worry that my grades are not going to recover like I hope they will.
Last edited by BrutusofBritain; 4 months ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
glad that you are on the mend !

good luck for 2022
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Following! Good luck with these and tag me in with updates
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Physio Update 1

I had my next physio appointment today, which did not go exactly as planned. I had hoped, as I said in my first post, that I would get to start doing some more exercise. But, I’ve had back pain for a little while so now I have to get that sorted before progressing any further with my hip.
I had acupuncture for the first time though so that was something. :fight:

I’m feeling increasingly concerned about the start of classes again but I’m trying to stay positive. I had really hoped that I would be told today that I could swim or go and do some light static bike or something. But I will have to wait another day for that.

Now that I've had my physio... My January Goals

1. Take care of myself through the start of the semester
2. Keep my screen time reduced (more screen time = worse mental health)
3. Do my physio every day so that I have better news next time
4. Keep doing daily walks

Tag List:
BurstingBubbles
Last edited by BrutusofBritain; 3 months ago
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Weekly Update 1
Name:  16 Jan Stats.PNG
Views: 37
Size:  72.5 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show

This week has been a generally okay week. It's not been revolutionary in terms of progress but nothing especially bad has happened. The worst it got was on Wednesday when I was very worried that my back had gone back to its worst, but it was brief.

One of the things that I think will be useful for me to track is how long I spend studying each day, not just because of being in final year and needing to do that, but also because sitting down for long periods of time triggers the back pain, so I can see if they correlate. I do think that the way I sit on my sofa probably contributes to the back pain being on one side more than the other, but sitting at a desk is still a bit tricky.

Next week I really need to actually do my physio every day - the pain on Tuesday and Wednesday somewhat killed my motivation to do it properly this week.
:bricks:

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show

I'd say Monday was at its worst (after physio). That's why I decided to try and record screentime, but honestly I don't think it's overly useful because I can't track it on my laptop, and as much as I don't go on my phone, I use my laptop to distract me instead. :angry:

After Monday I got a hold of myself and was doing pretty well with focusing instead of distracting myself and feeling miserable. It's just those blips in physical health / recovery that always set me off worrying about never fully recovering, or making something else wrong with me that's going to take more time to heal. :dontknow:

Relaxing Things Achieved
Spoiler:
Show

I met up with friends on two occasions.

I read The Way of Kings.

Status of January Goals

1. Take care of myself through the start of the semester - I think I'm as prepared for the start of the semester as I can be.
2. Keep my screen time reduced - Prompted by me feeling bad on Monday, this has been much better.
3. Do my physio every day so that I have better news next time - Abject failure on this one, so I have to be motivated to do better next week.
4. Keep doing daily walks - Not quite daily but still getting out more than I used to. The amount I walk will massively increase next week when uni starts.

Lookahead for Next Week
Spoiler:
Show

I am slightly nervous about going back to classes next week purely because of having to sit down so much. Covid restrictions have decreased which means that all my classes are in person and I'm in completely different rooms to last semester - so I don't know what they're going to be like.

I hope I feel motivated enough to walk in the times I planned so that I keep moving between classes that should (hopefully?) make me feel better.:stickyman:

Risks for Next Week

1. Having to carry a heavy bag - I need to take as little as possible to class
2. Tiredness - I am trying not to be overambitious and give myself breaks, but I am liable to just not coping at all when I'm tired

Tag List:
BurstingBubbles
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BrutusofBritain)
Weekly Update 1
Name:  16 Jan Stats.PNG
Views: 37
Size:  72.5 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show

This week has been a generally okay week. It's not been revolutionary in terms of progress but nothing especially bad has happened. The worst it got was on Wednesday when I was very worried that my back had gone back to its worst, but it was brief.

One of the things that I think will be useful for me to track is how long I spend studying each day, not just because of being in final year and needing to do that, but also because sitting down for long periods of time triggers the back pain, so I can see if they correlate. I do think that the way I sit on my sofa probably contributes to the back pain being on one side more than the other, but sitting at a desk is still a bit tricky.

Next week I really need to actually do my physio every day - the pain on Tuesday and Wednesday somewhat killed my motivation to do it properly this week.
:bricks:

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show

I'd say Monday was at its worst (after physio). That's why I decided to try and record screentime, but honestly I don't think it's overly useful because I can't track it on my laptop, and as much as I don't go on my phone, I use my laptop to distract me instead. :angry:

After Monday I got a hold of myself and was doing pretty well with focusing instead of distracting myself and feeling miserable. It's just those blips in physical health / recovery that always set me off worrying about never fully recovering, or making something else wrong with me that's going to take more time to heal. :dontknow:

Relaxing Things Achieved
Spoiler:
Show

I met up with friends on two occasions.

I read The Way of Kings.

Status of January Goals

1. Take care of myself through the start of the semester - I think I'm as prepared for the start of the semester as I can be.
2. Keep my screen time reduced - Prompted by me feeling bad on Monday, this has been much better.
3. Do my physio every day so that I have better news next time - Abject failure on this one, so I have to be motivated to do better next week.
4. Keep doing daily walks - Not quite daily but still getting out more than I used to. The amount I walk will massively increase next week when uni starts.

Lookahead for Next Week
Spoiler:
Show

I am slightly nervous about going back to classes next week purely because of having to sit down so much. Covid restrictions have decreased which means that all my classes are in person and I'm in completely different rooms to last semester - so I don't know what they're going to be like.

I hope I feel motivated enough to walk in the times I planned so that I keep moving between classes that should (hopefully?) make me feel better.:stickyman:

Risks for Next Week

1. Having to carry a heavy bag - I need to take as little as possible to class
2. Tiredness - I am trying not to be overambitious and give myself breaks, but I am liable to just not coping at all when I'm tired

Tag List:
BurstingBubbles
Great update - best of luck with your goals for next week. Tag me into your next update please
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Weekly Update 2

Name:  23 Jan Stats.PNG
Views: 27
Size:  43.6 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show
This week has had its ups and downs. I don't really have much more to say about it than that. Not as bad as I could've worried about, but not as good as it could have been either. Using my crutch again to go to my classes, if for no other reason than to remind all of my lecturers that time has not magically healed me yet. I don't know if it's the increased activity or because of using the crutch again that means my walking is slightly limping / lopsided again now.

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show
I had a big crash day on Friday in which I just felt truly miserable all day and couldn't really do anything. I am not exactly sure what caused it - several things happened on Thursday both good and bad, but I don't feel like anything directly triggered it. The impact of it has lingered through the weekend too, as I ended up with more to do at the weekend than I had planned because I didn't do anything on Friday.

Relaxing Things Achieved
Spoiler:
Show
Read Warbreaker & Part 1 of Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

I was social with people on my courses because I can actually see them in person again

Status of January Goals

1. Take care of myself through the start of the semester - I am trying.
2. Keep my screen time reduced - Reduced again this week, but I do feel like I had my moments where I was just going round and round the social media and news I look at on my laptop, which is no better
3. Do my physio every day so that I have better news next time - Have not done this at all. Feeling demoralised by the whole 'heal my back before making hip progress' thing so I'm just not doing the physio
4. Keep doing daily walks - Going well, but seeming to be more tiring this week?

Risks from Last Week
Spoiler:
Show
1. I don't think I will have any issues with a heavy bag - none of my classes require many books and they're all fairly spaced out
2. Tiredness is still a lingering concern, but this first week went much better than I had been concerned it might. I need to get back into a sleep schedule though because I lost that this week.

Lookahead to Next Week
Spoiler:
Show
I am thinking of trying to get out and do a morning walk next Friday to see if that makes me feel better. Since it is a day without uni I also need to work on getting up that day. I already have an important commitment that day, so I want to avoid crashing next Friday.

I also think that it is time for me to reduce my working hours. I had been resisting doing that for the time being because I enjoy my work, and the money. But I think realistically I just need a few more hours of time per week for my studying. I'll have to discuss this with my boss on Monday.

I will be able to attend all my classes next week, so I will see how that is.

Risks for Next Week

1. I forgot to get something approved last semester so now I need to do that, but the lecturer I have to get it approved off is renown for being awkward about these things so I'm a bit stressed about that
2. It is very important that I am still in a fit state for my event on Friday
3. I have not been doing my physio, so I do not know what progress I can make at my next appointment

Tag List:
BurstingBubbles
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Physio Update 2

Good News! :blow:
I have been told that I can finally do some gentle sport. Some swimming, some static bike and some AMT. I am very excited about this!
:party:

I have been set a few more physio exercises, but otherwise need to continue with the one that I was (not) doing already.

I will go for my first swim maybe this weekend. Fingers crossed it all goes well and I can continue feeling positive about my recovery.
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Weekly Update 3
Name:  30 Jan Stats.PNG
Views: 32
Size:  41.6 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show
I hurt my lower back a bit again on Friday but it seems to have cleared up now. I haven't had the chance to try any exercise yet which is frustrating, but I should find time this week - my swimming membership unfreezes for February. Nothing overwhelmingly notable either positively or negatively this week since going to the physio. Planning on not using my crutches for uni this coming week, but will see how the weather is on Mon.

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show
I kept myself in high spirits all week ahead of my commitment on Friday, but then have had a bad weekend. Partially because the storm woke me up very early on Saturday and I couldn't get back to sleep, which ruined my sleep schedule and desire to do anything that day. I had hoped to pick myself back up today but it hasn't really happened. The issue is also the fact that the longer I feel bad for, the less studying I do and then the more stressed I feel about what I have to do. I will also find out the result of a job application next week and that is lingering in the back of my mind

Relaxing Things Achieved

Spoiler:
Show
Read the Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson & played some video games

Need to focus on doing some other relaxing things too

Status of January Goals

1. Take care of myself through the start of the semester - I am getting there, and I would say that the start of the semester is over. I have managed to keep myself going well during the days with classes and work, but I need to work on the days without that
2. Keep my screen time reduced -While the phone screentime is statistically less, I've definitely spent too much time scrolling stuff on my laptop. Part of it is anxiety around getting this job application result - even though I know it likely won't come until late next week
3. Do my physio every day so that I have better news next time -
4. Keep doing daily walks - This has died a death this week, so I need to focus on getting out and about next week - especially the days where I don't just naturally end up outside. I've got off or on the bus early or late a few times on those days so I walk further

Risks from Last Week

Spoiler:
Show
1. The lecturer was actually really nice to me which surprised me. I was very nervous about the meeting but it ended up fine.
2. I did keep myself going well until after the event, so that did go well
3. I think my walks have helped me despite me doing no physio. I do need to do it though

Lookahead to Next Week

Spoiler:
Show
I know that I am going to have low lying anxiety all next week about this job, so I will just have to put that out of my mind as much as possible.

I have multiple assessments that I need to complete before w/c 7th Feb, but I also don't want to reduce the quality of the things I prepare for tutorials (I get engagement marks in most classes). I will definitely need to study more this week - I had not realised I had done so little this week.

Risks for Next Week
1. Anxiety about this job outcome :afraid:
2. Finding time to try out some exercise :scuba:

Tag List:
BurstingBubbles
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Weekly Update 3
Name:  30 Jan Stats.PNG
Views: 32
Size:  41.6 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show
I hurt my lower back a bit again on Friday but it seems to have cleared up now. I haven't had the chance to try any exercise yet which is frustrating, but I should find time this week - my swimming membership unfreezes for February. Nothing overwhelmingly notable either positively or negatively this week since going to the physio. Planning on not using my crutches for uni this coming week, but will see how the weather is on Mon.

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show
I kept myself in high spirits all week ahead of my commitment on Friday, but then have had a bad weekend. Partially because the storm woke me up very early on Saturday and I couldn't get back to sleep, which ruined my sleep schedule and desire to do anything that day. I had hoped to pick myself back up today but it hasn't really happened. The issue is also the fact that the longer I feel bad for, the less studying I do and then the more stressed I feel about what I have to do. I will also find out the result of a job application next week and that is lingering in the back of my mind

Relaxing Things Achieved

Spoiler:
Show
Read the Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson & played some video games

Need to focus on doing some other relaxing things too

Status of January Goals

1. Take care of myself through the start of the semester - I am getting there, and I would say that the start of the semester is over. I have managed to keep myself going well during the days with classes and work, but I need to work on the days without that
2. Keep my screen time reduced - While the phone screentime is statistically less, I've definitely spent too much time scrolling stuff on my laptop. Part of it is anxiety around getting this job application result - even though I know it likely won't come until late next week
3. Do my physio every day so that I have better news next time -
4. Keep doing daily walks - This has died a death this week, so I need to focus on getting out and about next week - especially the days where I don't just naturally end up outside. I've got off or on the bus early or late a few times on those days so I walk further

Risks from Last Week

Spoiler:
Show
1. The lecturer was actually really nice to me which surprised me. I was very nervous about the meeting but it ended up fine.
2. I did keep myself going well until after the event, so that did go well
3. I think my walks have helped me despite me doing no physio. I do need to do it though

Lookahead to Next Week

Spoiler:
Show
I know that I am going to have low lying anxiety all next week about this job, so I will just have to put that out of my mind as much as possible.

I have multiple assessments that I need to complete before w/c 7th Feb, but I also don't want to reduce the quality of the things I prepare for tutorials (I get engagement marks in most classes). I will definitely need to study more this week - I had not realised I had done so little this week.

Risks for Next Week
1. Anxiety about this job outcome :afraid:
2. Finding time to try out some exercise :scuba:

Tag List:
BurstingBubbles
Glad to read the positives like you've kept yourself going! I hope things with physio and daily walks improve - good luck with it
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Glad to read the positives like you've kept yourself going! I hope things with physio and daily walks improve - good luck with it
Thanks!

I actually got offered the job today so that's that worry out of the way for this week! Now I just need to get a 2:1 :groovy:
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks!

I actually got offered the job today so that's that worry out of the way for this week! Now I just need to get a 2:1 :groovy:
Congratulations that's amazing :woo: you can do it :dumbells:
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Weekly Update 4
Name:  6 Feb Stats.PNG
Views: 13
Size:  48.5 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show
My back has continued to be a bit sore this past week, but it's kind of normal at this point.

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show
I had my moments on Fri - Sat where I did not focus as much as I should have done, but I generally avoided crashing as dramatically as I have done previous weeks. I was very distracted Mon - Weds by my job offer and thinking about that. Since Sunday I feel more focused.

Relaxing Things Achieved
Spoiler:
Show
I have mostly played video games this week to relax. I have gone back to Horizon Zero Dawn ahead of Horizon Forbidden West's release.

I met up with friends on Friday evening and have more meetings planned.

Risks from Last Week
Spoiler:
Show
1. I found out that I got the job immediately on Monday so I did not have to spend any time worrying about it. Though the news did distract me for a few days.

2. I slotted in some time to go to the gym, which I will try again sometime soon. I have not made it to the pool yet.

Lookahead to Next Week
Spoiler:
Show
I have some deadlines to get done and would like to try and get to the pool but otherwise I think it's all looking good for next (this) week

Risks for Next Week

1. I have an extra commitment that I have been neglecting these past few weeks that is starting to catch up with me

Tag List:
BurstingBubbles
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
January - February Handover

Evaluation of January Goals:
1. Take care of myself through the start of the semester - I think I did the best job I could with this
2. Keep my screen time reduced (more screen time = worse mental health) - I mostly did this. I have proved that I can live without the internet on my phone. I still need to work on it for my laptop though.
3. Do my physio every day so that I have better news next time - I have not done this at all
4. Keep doing daily walks - While I do not walk every day, I have got into the habit of walking a bit more to or from the bus

February Goals & Reasoning
1. Finish half of my cross stitch - while I have relaxed through reading, I feel like it is not the most useful way for me to relax, because if I am reading a good fiction book, I will get distracted by it. It would be best for me to get back to my cross stitch this month.
2. Do physio at least twice a week - I figure that setting a smaller goal for myself will make it more achievable to complete. Because a month in which I complete 8 days of physio will be better than the month I did none.
3. Swim at least four times this month - It is frustrating to have to pre-book sessions still (and be fined if you don't turn up / cancel within a few hours of it!) Considering my current health situation, this is a bit of a pain. But I think I should be able to get in four sessions.
4. Complete a draft of my dissertation by the end of the month - This one may look a bit more studying-oriented than wellbeing, but I need to get this together by the end of the month otherwise I am going to overload myself at the end of the semester.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

1. Take care of myself through the start of the semester - I think I did the best job I could with this
2. Keep my screen time reduced (more screen time = worse mental health) - I mostly did this. I have proved that I can live without the internet on my phone. I still need to work on it for my laptop though.
3. Do my physio every day so that I have better news next time - I have not done this at all
4. Keep doing daily walks - While I do not walk every day, I have got into the habit of walking a bit more to or from the bus

1. Finish half of my cross stitch - while I have relaxed through reading, I feel like it is not the most useful way for me to relax, because if I am reading a good fiction book, I will get distracted by it. It would be best for me to get back to my cross stitch this month.
2. Do physio at least twice a week - I figure that setting a smaller goal for myself will make it more achievable to complete. Because a month in which I complete 8 days of physio will be better than the month I did none.
3. Swim at least four times this month - It is frustrating to have to pre-book sessions still (and be fined if you don't turn up / cancel within a few hours of it!) Considering my current health situation, this is a bit of a pain. But I think I should be able to get in four sessions.
4. Complete a draft of my dissertation by the end of the month - This one may look a bit more studying-oriented than wellbeing, but I need to get this together by the end of the month otherwise I am going to overload myself at the end of the semester.
Great update, really honest but with positives as well as things to work on
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Weekly Update 5
Name:  13 Feb Stats.PNG
Views: 12
Size:  42.9 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show
"What happened to you this week?" You may be wondering, looking at my nice box of stats that show hours and hours more screentime and nothing else. Well, attending university in person finally caught up with me and I got covid. I tested positive on Tuesday (my nice long walk was my trip to and from the testing centre) and I have been suffering since. It has mostly gone away now - just some cold-like symptoms left - but it really screwed me over for a few days. I really thought when I first tested positive that I was going to just have a few days where I could get some studying done with a slight cough, but no.

The impact on my hip has been fairly minimal. I thought it would be worse when I had a fever because I curled myself up a lot to try and keep warm which is still borderline not something I should really be doing. I'm mostly just frustrated since I have obviously been unable to continue my recovery - just at the point that I was allowed to return to the gym!

I know I will need to take it slowly into next week though. I still feel very fatigued by it all.

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show
Unsurprisingly, this week has been terrible for my mental health. For better or for worse (definitely for worse) I am one of those people that hates being ill to the extent that they will reinjure themselves or perpetuate illness because they just won't stop and listen to their body. I have rested this week, but the whole experience has taken its toll. I hate feeling so helpless, especially when I had just got to the point of not feeling as physically vulnerable by being off my crutches.

The increased screentime has definitely been bad for me too. Time spent on social media and news websites this week because I had nothing else to do didn't do anything to alleviate my sense of doom and gloom. I desperately need to keep myself busy to stop myself thinking too much.

Relaxing Things Achieved
Spoiler:
Show
Don't feel like anything has relaxed me much this week. I played through Horizon Zero Dawn again ahead of Forbidden West on Friday.

Part 2 of Words of Radiance arrived so I read that today. Now I have to decide whether I read Edgedancer or not. Only had one chapter with the character that one is about and they seem a bit annoying. Will probably give it a miss and just read an online summary.

Status of February Goals

Not had the chance to do anything for any of them!

Last Week's Risks
Spoiler:
Show
I did a small bit with that commitment but not much. Didn't have the chance to attend the meeting I should have because of being ill. I am helping select people for some roles and have a few applications to read through, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do or how I'm supposed to go about that, so I will have to seek out some help from somewhere for that. I was supposed to be travelling soon relating to this commitment too, but I have now made the decision that it is too much for me to do that right now and will tell them tomorrow that I no longer intend to do this. I think this commitment will remain a low-lying worry for the time being. It won't take much to get it sorted, but it's just that one thing too much at the moment.

Next Week's Risks
Spoiler:
Show
Most things? I am not feeling clear headed enough right now to be able to pinpoint specifics.

Lookahead
Spoiler:
Show
I have an assessment due in on Tuesday that I haven't started yet. It is supposed to be really difficult and I was supposed to do it this weekend. I'm going to have to do it tomorrow and Tuesday and just do it the best I can.

There are strikes next week, so I don't believe I have any classes (apart from ones I am going to miss for covid reasons tomorrow). I am hoping this gives me the space I need to recover myself. However, I hope it doesn't give me too much space that I just stay a bit miserable. I should try going and studying in places around the uni anyway, but I'll need to choose to do so carefully so that I don't try and be there for too long. I need to find the equilibrium between going out long enough to cheer me up but not for too long that I'm in pain. Maybe I can go out and organise it around going to the gym - but I don't want to try and go back to that too soon after having covid.

Lots to consider about the best route forward.

Tags
BurstingBubbles
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Weekly Update 6
Name:  20 Feb Stats.PNG
Views: 12
Size:  47.2 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show
I was still feeling ill due to covid (and testing positive, sadly) at the start of this week, up until Friday. I didn't test yesterday but was finally negative today. If I get another negative test tomorrow, I may try and visit the gym at some point next week. My hip itself has been fine, coughing and sneezing causes me pain but otherwise there's not really anything to report because I haven't really been able to continue with my recovery.

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show
Bad bad bad. I feel terrible that I haven't studied more this weekend but it's been very difficult to get back into studying after this prolonged break. I felt better briefly when I received the result of my special circumstances for a course from last semester which has meant that (I think - I'm not 100% on the calculations) I should now be able to get a 2:1 even if I completely mess up one or two courses. Unfortunately that realisation was promptly followed by me just feeling depressed about how I had expected to enjoy uni and study hard and all that but instead I'm just waiting for it to be over and done with. I need to get out and about much more next week so I start to clear my head and get back into the swing of things. Since it's reading week, I won't have any reason to go to uni, but I should try and get on some walks by me anyway.

Relaxing Things Achieved
Spoiler:
Show
Horizon Forbidden West came out - Yay! However it is a huuge game and I'm now having to figure out the line between relaxing with it and doing it far too much. I think I need to take the approach that it will likely last me until the end of my degree in its entirety. It is also causing some issues because I normally study on the sofa which is now practically out of bounds from others playing the game and me not wanting spoilers. I am trying to negotiate a better way around this for next week.

Otherwise I did much more sleeping this week than I did last week. Good for getting better but really should have done so before

Status of February Goals

Again, none with any progress. I will try and work on 1, 2 & 4 next week, but swimming may be off the cards until I'm confident I am well enough.

Last Week's Risks
Spoiler:
Show
I didn't state any specific concerns from last week, but realistically I was worried about the assessment. I managed to get an extension to this Tuesday (22nd) and have finally started it.

As for studying on campus, I was unable to leave my isolation early like I had expected I would because of positive lfts all week.

Next Week's Risks
Spoiler:
Show
1. Not having time to priorise my dissertation sufficiently next week
2. Not finishing my translation assessment quickly enough to start my next one with sufficient time (I think it's going to take a long time)
3. Just generally not having the time or motivation to do things
4. I think I've got quite anxious now when the start of the semester had been going pretty well

Lookahead
Spoiler:
Show
Reading week. I possibly have my first shift back at in-person work post-op next week too, though my manager hasn't confirmed this. I'm hoping to just study my little heart out though I can't say I have high hopes right now.

Tags
BurstingBubbles
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
An Update

Not had a good few days. Have got ill again for a few days and missed more classes (sadly none of my lecturers were striking this week). Need to do a physio update, weekly update and monthly update in theory. Will probably do a monthly one at some point and just miss the other stuff out.

Here's what I had prepared for my 'Mental Health' section:
Spoiler:
Show
I am still feeling a level of enduring sadness about the weeks ahead in which I'll get through the vast majority of the rest of my assessments at uni. I wonder whether it would be any different for me if I didn't work part-time, or if there were other things in my life that I just didn't do that meant I could dedicate all my time to studying. But I don't know whether it would really change much - ultimately I would just have more time in which to do my assessments.
I had hoped that university would be different and that it would finally be the time in which I could study the subjects that I enjoy and find out more about them. Instead, it has ended up just the same as school - even though I have taken courses at University about topics that really interest me and I would be passionate about learning more about, all that I can find the time and energy to dedicate myself to is each assessment as it comes.
In the coming weeks, I have one or more assessments each week. And each week, I will be working on whatever is next due and completing that to the best of my ability. But that isn't learning. I hardly feel like I've learnt anything at University, or at least not from my degree. I have just kept some facts in my head long enough to regurgitate them onto a page for my next essay, if they've even gone into my head at all. It just feels like its all been immensely pointless from an educational standpoint. Yes, I'll hopefully get my 2:1 and walk into my nice graduate job because I've gone through these 4 years, but realistically it doesn't prove anything about me. All the positive experiences of uni, both from a personal and career development perspective, aside from that certificate at the end, have been the jobs I've had, the places I've visited and the experience of being independent. Not one drop of what I'll remember fondly comes from the studying I was supposed to do here.
Did I choose the wrong degree? Would it be different if I'd studied something else? Is it all down to the combined impact of covid and strikes? I don't know, but I will be glad for it to all be over and done with.

I know it would probably all be going much better if I was just less physically ill/broken this year. And the frustration with that feeds into poor mental health which then (likely) feeds into more poor physical health.

I just want uni to be over and done with so I can actually spare the time to take care of myself. I'll hopefully work full time in June & July - meaning I have evenings and weekends to actually do stuff and then I'll have August entirely to myself.

I just have to keep going until then :banghead:

BurstingBubbles
BrutusofBritain
Rep:

Ah the blissful ignorance I had when I made this post. Little did I know that I already had covid and would test positive the next day!

I have decided to keep the majority of my February goals, since I haven't done any of them, with a few tweaks.

1. Finish half of my cross stitch - Same logic as last month, but this time I'll actually do it.
2. Do physio at least twice a week - I am keeping this the same, though I will note that my physio now involves going to the gym. I am hoping to get these sessions in on a Tuesday and a Friday.
3. Swim at least four times this month - My residual cough has mostly gone now, so I feel like I will be able to get into the pool when I want to. Possibly at the weekend? My big issue with swimming is how much time it takes up to go there and change etc when I can spend barely any time in the water.
4. Just stay on top of my assignments - I have scheduled my assignments and applied my extensions where it makes sense to try and spread them out a bit. I can't afford to use any other extensions now as all the deadlines will just end up on top of one another, so I need to keep up with it.
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
Weekly Update 7
Name:  6 March Stats.PNG
Views: 9
Size:  48.1 KB

Physical Health
Spoiler:
Show
After a very bad start to the week with illness again, my physical health has continued to improve and I was happy to do a long walk on Saturday. Obviously, I am very unfit. But I think that was the limit of my struggles rather than anything specific to having had covid / my hip. I am looking forward to trying out my exercises using the gym in the coming week, though I am going to have to try and not feel too self conscious. I need to use some of the weights machines and I have not tended to use them in the past.

Mental Health
Spoiler:
Show
I have a terrible week for being very up and down with how I am feeling (well, probably going on a month of that at this point), but I am hoping I have mostly come out the other side of that now. I am feeling fairly positive about everything going forward and while this evening (Monday) I am spending some time writing this, I do plan to do some studying, which will be the first time in a little while that I've felt enough energy to study on a Monday evening.

My big issue with my table for this past week is the screentime. I didn't think I'd spent that much on my phone - for sure more than I had been previously, but not that much more. I've now disabled Chrome again because that just eats into my time so much.

Relaxing Things Achieved
Spoiler:
Show
My Saturday walk was nice and relaxing. I need to get outside more again and to more interesting places ideally.

I've read Oathbringer and I think I've come to a good stopping point with reading for the time being. I think I'll probably put that on hold until this month is over at least.

Status of March Goals

Again again, none with any progress but watch this space.

Next Week's Risks
Spoiler:
Show
1. Getting too bogged down in the perfection of my assignment again
2. Getting overwhelmed by the different things I need to do
3. Getting overly tired by my gym and swimming trips this week

Lookahead
Spoiler:
Show
I have an assessment due on Friday that I've been having perfectionism issues with. I am not used to having assignments where I could feasibly 'get it all right' so I have been getting overly fixated on each individual component in unproductive ways. I am hoping I am past that now, but I will be interested to see what mark I get once I've finished it. Of the ten parts I've just got part 10 that I haven't really figured out yet, but so long as I do figure that out, I think I could do pretty well on it.

Once I have done that I have a whole class debate next week that I need to prepare for as I missed the individual group one I was supposed to participate in last week, so this is my only chance to actually do well to get a good grade for that component of that course.

After that, I have to start my next assignment - which I am looking forward to because it's heavily research based so I literally just have to find stuff, write it down and hand it in. Whoever finds the most gets the highest grade.

Tags
BurstingBubbles
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (87)
19.42%
The paper was reasonable (171)
38.17%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
26.56%
It was TERRIBLE (71)
15.85%

Watched Threads