The Student Room Group

Are the a-levels okay?

For medicine: Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology(which I plan to drop in yr 13). I was considering maths but I had a hit and miss experience with, sometimes I'm great but there are other times where I absolutely hate it. Apart from the sciences, my other favourite subject is history and I do well in it. I've never done psychology before but it clearly links to medicine and I know some people who chose bio, chem and psych for their choices. I thought history would broaden my studies a bit as it's an essay subject and leaves more door open for the future.
Original post by Anonymous
For medicine: Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology(which I plan to drop in yr 13). I was considering maths but I had a hit and miss experience with, sometimes I'm great but there are other times where I absolutely hate it. Apart from the sciences, my other favourite subject is history and I do well in it. I've never done psychology before but it clearly links to medicine and I know some people who chose bio, chem and psych for their choices. I thought history would broaden my studies a bit as it's an essay subject and leaves more door open for the future.

Hi there.
Doing 4 A Levels won't make your application more competitive than those with 3 A levels. I recommend only doing 3, even though you say you're going to drop one, so you can maximize your chances of achieving those A/A* grades which are needed for medicine. This is because A levels require more commitment and effort than GCSEs.

Biology and Chemistry A level combination enables you to apply to the vast majority/ all medical schools based solely on your A level options and the 3rd A level can be a subject of your choice.

Best wishes.
Reply 2
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.
Doing 4 A Levels won't make your application more competitive than those with 3 A levels. I recommend only doing 3, even though you say you're going to drop one, so you can maximize your chances of achieving those A/A* grades which are needed for medicine. This is because A levels require more commitment and effort than GCSEs.

Biology and Chemistry A level combination enables you to apply to the vast majority/ all medical schools based solely on your A level options and the 3rd A level can be a subject of your choice.

Best wishes.

The sixth form I'm going to requires us to do 4 at AS and 3 to full A-level.

surely they cant force you - have u asked them to only do 3, maybe ur parents to ask. one less as level makes a big difference and it'll make it easier for u to go those 3 A's

Oh right. Your combination is completely fine then. Perhaps focus more on your main 3 subjects, particularly bio and chem, however as AS Level grades aren't used as part of the medicine application process.

Best wishes.
Reply 5
surely they cant force you - have u asked them to only do 3, maybe ur parents to ask. one less as level makes a big difference and it'll make it easier for u to go those 3 A's

I want to do that though. I've specifically applied to sixth forms that do that. Remember, I'm not doing 4 A-levels, I wouldn't do that ever. I'm doing 4 at yr 12 and dropping one, meaning that by the end of yr 13, I'll have achieved only 3 A-levels.
I want to do that though. I've specifically applied to sixth forms that do that. Remember, I'm not doing 4 A-levels, I wouldn't do that ever. I'm doing 4 at yr 12 and dropping one, meaning that by the end of yr 13, I'll have achieved only 3 A-levels.

I think anonymous 2 understands that and they were just giving their own advice. Ultimately it's your choice but doing only 3 AS Levels which you will continue at A level is more sensible - particularly for medicine.

I think most others would advise the same but we can only advise and not force you to do anything.

Best wishes regardless :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TriplexA
I think anonymous 2 understands that and they were just giving their own advice. Ultimately it's your choice but doing only 3 AS Levels which you will continue at A level is more sensible - particularly for medicine.

Sorry if that came across as too harsh, I guess I went overboard with the underlining and bold letters:colondollar:
Just out of curiosity, what subject do you do(or did when you were doing A-levels)?
Sorry if that came across as too harsh, I guess I went overboard with the underlining and bold letters:colondollar:
Just out of curiosity, what subject do you do(or did when you were doing A-levels)?

It did seem harsh - I won't lie but you've apologised so hopefully anonymous 2 did not take that personally...

I did Biology and Chemistry and then French. My college didn't offer AS Levels.
Reply 9
I did 4 A levels and my school required us to start with 4 too. The great thing about doing 4 is that if you do well in the 4th and get a high predicted grade it would strengthen your overall application - this helped me apply to Cambridge and get as far as the interview! I suggest picking something you genuinely enjoy and if you end up getting a high predicted grade you can keep it if not just drop it in Year 13! I don't see too much harm in this as it gives you a choice even if you only want to do three; I know a lot of people that managed 4 A levels (me lol) and some even doing 5 in my year!

Good luck! :h:

Those subjects are fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending