(HELP) Losing passion for my degree, dont know what to do

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Im in 2nd year of uni and I feel like im going the a crisis. im in the middle of exam season and I had a conversation with a tutor at my university that made me realise something. I had wanted to pursue more creative work prior to me starting uni.

I had done media as an a level and genuinely enjoyed it! but back then I didnt feel like I was ready (I had very low confidence and no sense of proper direction) so I decided id do law as it was also something I found interesting especially the sociological aspects of the course... or so I assumed. I later found out that there are barely any of those aspects in the course aswell like only small mentions of things.
It has also been a rough 2 years,2020/21 have taught me so much about myself however. One of the main reason I had pick the course was so that I could help others but also discuss issues in law that discuss society as a whole, but I feel as though it lacks this self awareness. Now im trying to make the most of my twenties and take more control as an individual.
I feel like I was people pleasing also.... because when I do find the course interesting I excel but this semester and last years semester haven't panned out for me academically at all.

I currently have deadlines that getting very close as the days go by and I honestly cant be bothered. I also feel like im in constant competition with other 20 year olds. idc I feel like I could be doing so much more, like really honing in on my hobbies like music, painting , drawing etc. ive just been letting life pass me by
skyangelbro
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
mate, you will live at least decades after uni. This may sound harsh... but its only 1-2 years to go... you just need to find a will and finish it. Grad jobs pay way more.

I won't baby sit you! no one would.

Its simple
Degree = better pay
No Degree = Bad pay

The purpose of Uni is to find yourself! I almost finished doing Chem, and moving to work into finance.

Submit reply
Zain k
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I'd agree with above. Get the degree done and obtained. You'll get good transferable skills from it.

I did a degree and masters related to science and laboratory work and I'm losing passion in the career I studied for as there's little trainee vacancies coming up and no luck getting interviews. I'm also looking at going into finance to after doing work experience in an estate agent and mortgage broker before I got my apprenticeship as a healthcare support worker in my local hospital.

At one point I started applying for trainee mortgage advisor jobs and I got interviews from that which I'm sure is mostly thanks to my science qualifications. Had no interviews for medical laboratory assistant roles and trainee biomed scientist roles.
Last edited by Zain k; 1 week ago
skyangelbro
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Zain k)
I'd agree with above. Get the degree done and obtained. You'll get good transferable skills from it.

I did a degree and masters related to science and laboratory work and I'm losing passion in the career I studied for as there's little trainee vacancies coming up and no luck getting interviews. I'm also looking at going into finance to after doing work experience in an estate agent and mortgage broker before I got my apprenticeship as a healthcare support worker in my local hospital.

At one point I started applying for trainee mortgage advisor jobs and I got interviews from that which I'm sure is mostly thanks to my science qualifications. Had no interviews for medical laboratory assistant roles and trainee biomed scientist roles.
I went through a sim situation to yours! feel free to pm))) I will reply tmr
We can even call each other! I will talk to you about it in detail))) hopefully I can give you the motivation.
Zain k
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by skyangelbro)
I went through a sim situation to yours! feel free to pm))) I will reply tmr
We can even call each other! I will talk to you about it in detail))) hopefully I can give you the motivation.
Your free to message. It's sad though. My hygienist did biomed and worked as a lab assistant for 2 years after leaving that then doing other stuff for a bit before going to become a hygienist. Even she said most of her biomed class went into finance.

There are jobs out there for our degree but the main ones are biomedical scientist or apply to get into medicine which aren't easy
Last edited by Zain k; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (137)
25.9%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.32%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed