The Student Room Group

British Informatics Olympiad 2022

How did everyone find it !!!

Scroll to see replies

not too bad what about you! how much did you complete?
Reply 2
Original post by iris_weaver
not too bad what about you! how much did you complete?

It was fine. Q1 and Q3 went well but I always mess up the Q2. Just wondering how did you find Q3, I don't know if I misunderstood the Q, but I didn't find it as hard as the other year's Q3s?
I think we can start discussing problems now as the competition has finished. How was q2 question for everyone? I found Q2 harder than last year's Q2 though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jamhead2000
Q1 and Q3 went well but I always mess up the Q2.

Same for me. There's something about the implementation type questions that really bugs me, compared to other problem solving.

@ElonMusk69
I found the opposite to be true. It was difficult and I don't think I got it right, but I didn't even feel like I could attempt last year's Q2. Maybe it's just because I've improved in general programming.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by g++98
Same for me. There's something about the implementation type questions that really bugs me, compared to other problem solving.

I found the opposite to be true. It was difficult and I don't think I got it right, but I didn't even feel like I could attempt last year's Q2. Maybe it's just because I've improved in general programming.

I found Q3 to be quite simple though, how about you? What method did you use?
Original post by ElonMusk69
I found Q3 to be quite simple though, how about you? What method did you use?

@Jamhead2000 @g++98 What method did you end up trying to use for Q3?
(edited 2 years ago)
I found Q1 very hard. @ElonMusk69 @g++98 @Jamhead2000 did it take you long?
British Informatics final is overlapping with Maths Trinity Camp this year.
Reply 9
Original post by FairAboutUK
British Informatics final is overlapping with Maths Trinity Camp this year.

Are the results out? Why are the BIO organisers so unorganised? The exam was in December and 3 months later they can't even be bothered to properly release the results. The chairperson never replies to anyone's emails - students or teachers, and I have heard that he is super rude to everyone. They should let somebody else run the competition given they can't seem to be bothered to run it properly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jemseal
Are the results out? Why are the BIO organisers so unorganised? The exam was in December and 3 months later they can't even be bothered to properly release the results. The chairperson never replies to anyone's emails - students or teachers, and I have heard that he is super rude to everyone. They should let somebody else run the competition given they can't seem to be bothered to run it properly.

Invitation for the final was sent out two weeks ago.
Original post by jemseal

I got 79/100 this year and haven't been invited to the final, and haven't heard anything from emails sent by myself or my head of CS. A response email in January from the organiser suggested the cut off was high 70s, so not sure what's happened here.

I do however know there's a new programming olympiad being formed this year, I believe it's called the British Algorithmic Olympiad (BAO). I know the organiser(s) and they seem like they'll do a good job at keeping everyone up to date and I think they're providing a sample paper as this is the first year.
Original post by henrybhudson
I got 79/100 this year and haven't been invited to the final, and haven't heard anything from emails sent by myself or my head of CS. A response email in January from the organiser suggested the cut off was high 70s, so not sure what's happened here.

I do however know there's a new programming olympiad being formed this year, I believe it's called the British Algorithmic Olympiad (BAO). I know the organiser(s) and they seem like they'll do a good job at keeping everyone up to date and I think they're providing a sample paper as this is the first year.

Wow, the cut-off this year for the BIO final must be very high (higher than 79 then). Not heard of BAO, no google result. Can you share the BAO link?
I don't believe there's a website yet - from what I remember they want to make sure they've got everything planned before they say anything. I'll paste the link here when I find out.
I believe I found the website link: @henrybhudson and @FairAboutUK
https://bao.org.uk/
However, it is quite empty and none of the links work for me at the moment
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ron0studios

After doing a quite scrape of the site I can confirm it is 100% empty, there's no files available in it.
It looks wayy better than the BIO site though, which is a plus
(edited 1 year ago)

Thanks.
if any of you guys are preparing for next year, I made a thread for it, just like the one for 2017/18
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7243102&p=97471724#post97471724
After doing a quite scrape of the site I can confirm it is 100% empty, there's no files available in it.
It looks wayy better than the BIO site though, which is a plus

The BAO website is down now. I don't know who organize this competition.
Original post by FairAboutUK
The BAO website is down now. I don't know who organize this competition.

Looks like it's back up and you can register for it now. Looks interesting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending