How to get an A in A level German? (ik it's a common question, but I need specifics)

Watch this thread
t0rschlusspan1k
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(This is my very first post on TSR)

Hi so I obviously take A level AQA German, along with Edexcel B Biology and AQA Chemistry. I would like to do Medicine in uni, hence why I need that A. I'm currently in Year 12, and although I'm not sure which uni I want to go to, I want to just do my best so even if plans change, my grades can still apply.

What I already do is daily vocab on Quizlet, and add half a page's worth each time but sometimes with breaks so I don't burn out. I'm working through the Grammar and Translation Workbook (however I should do more) and have started to do daily listening exercises along with a comprehension on the ThisIsLanguage site. It doesn't sound like much, and feels as though even less. I do extra stuff beyond the syllabus such as subscribing to EasyGerman on YT, listening to German music frequently along with the lyrics and occasionally searching up German news articles ( a habit I should take up more). I also am starting to do the worksheets and revision given on the Kerboodle website.

So far I have obtained alright results in German, as we haven't had many tests at alllllll e.g. a recent Reading test on Family I got 16/27, I believe without silly mistakes I could have got approximately 20 or more / 27, and in translation, 8/15, with the average being 7/15. I'm not sure what rigid revision routine I should use with a rigid revision technique either, as for GCSE I easily cruised through the subject which I am aware is definitely not the case for A Level.

Please give any advice at all, especially if you yourself obtained an A/A* in A Level German
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by t0rschlusspan1k)
(This is my very first post on TSR)

Hi so I obviously take A level AQA German, along with Edexcel B Biology and AQA Chemistry. I would like to do Medicine in uni, hence why I need that A. I'm currently in Year 12, and although I'm not sure which uni I want to go to, I want to just do my best so even if plans change, my grades can still apply.

What I already do is daily vocab on Quizlet, and add half a page's worth each time but sometimes with breaks so I don't burn out. I'm working through the Grammar and Translation Workbook (however I should do more) and have started to do daily listening exercises along with a comprehension on the ThisIsLanguage site. It doesn't sound like much, and feels as though even less. I do extra stuff beyond the syllabus such as subscribing to EasyGerman on YT, listening to German music frequently along with the lyrics and occasionally searching up German news articles ( a habit I should take up more). I also am starting to do the worksheets and revision given on the Kerboodle website.

So far I have obtained alright results in German, as we haven't had many tests at alllllll e.g. a recent Reading test on Family I got 16/27, I believe without silly mistakes I could have got approximately 20 or more / 27, and in translation, 8/15, with the average being 7/15. I'm not sure what rigid revision routine I should use with a rigid revision technique either, as for GCSE I easily cruised through the subject which I am aware is definitely not the case for A Level.

Please give any advice at all, especially if you yourself obtained an A/A* in A Level German
Hi there.

I didn't study German at A level but did do French so I'll give some general advice.

Ensure you're familiar with all topical vocab (quizlet is a great site to use - as you do) and grammar rules. For Speaking I recommend you have some topical facts for the photo card so you can support your opinions and show an understanding of German culture. You can also implement set sophisticated phrases into your speaking and do the same with essay phrases also.

I also did Biology and Chemistry A level too but never met an aspiring medic who also did a language alongside those subjects!

Wish you all the best with your studies and application.
t0rschlusspan1k
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

I didn't study German at A level but did do French so I'll give some general advice.

Ensure you're familiar with all topical vocab (quizlet is a great site to use - as you do) and grammar rules. For Speaking I recommend you have some topical facts for the photo card so you can support your opinions and show an understanding of German culture. You can also implement set sophisticated phrases into your speaking and do the same with essay phrases also.

I also did Biology and Chemistry A level too but never met an aspiring medic who also did a language alongside those subjects!

Wish you all the best with your studies and application.
Thanks so much for the advice!
sciencegcsesss
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I don’t take German but I know Eve Bennett on YouTube did so maybe you can find some advice there?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
16.36%
The paper was reasonable (164)
49.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (80)
24.24%
It was TERRIBLE (32)
9.7%

Watched Threads