Struggling to choose a degree

Watch this thread
lopeetsa
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So. I haven’t applied to university yet since I still haven’t chosen a course. I’m torn between options and I’m not even sure if I know what course is best for my career choices. If I come off as bored or not entirely ambitious it’s because its 2am not because I’m disinterested in my choices.

I like the thought of one day becoming a criminal profiler or something around that area. Homici dal detective did interest me but we don’t really have them in the UK so I’m being more realistic. I’ve looked into it and psychology and masters in forensic psych seems like the degrees I would need to do (I like psychology but I haven’t done it since secondary school). However, I’ve had a few people tell me that psychology is useless unless you do like an extra 3 years of education after undergrad just to get a decent job. This worried me a little bit since yk.. what if I change my mind? I’m then stuck with a degree no employers want or care for? I honestly thought it would have been quite a good degree to have but apparently I was wrong for thinking so.

I wanted to do a Masters degree at cardiff after uni in broadcasting journalism since you don’t need a specific undergrad degree and more just experience to do it and entertainment journalism is my other top career choice. I wanted psychology as a degree to POSSIBLY fall back on (well not really to fall back on since I’m torn between the two careers right now and I love the idea of them both) if journalism went rough. However, it seems as though i wouldn’t be able to do this and instead prioritise psychology during post grad.

I know im probably over paranoid about this since I can’t possibly know what I’d want in 3 years time, but after hearing people call it useless i am worried. I want to move out of the UK to the USA when I finish education, and also want to go to sussex as my firm (looks good for psych but not sure if I should be looking for any specific accreditations or Russell groups) if either of those are any use at all.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
"Criminal profiling" isn't really a thing that exists/happens outside of TV programmes. Mostly because the practice has been found to have zero correlation with crime prevention/solving crimes and largely just magnifies whatever implicit biases are present in that society through profiling. Forensic psychologists do not "profile" criminals in the sense you are perhaps thinking - they will assess the psychological needs of offenders for example, to develop programmes to help them with a long term aim of rehabilitation and reintroduction to society, or to advise parole boards. If you want to become a forensic psychologist you need a BPS accredited degree, be it an undergraduate psychology degree or a conversion masters. It would be simplest to just do psychology as an undergrad in that case. However it doesn't seem your interests are really aligned with the realities of that career, so it may not be the best option.

You can in principle go into journalism and the media with any degree subject background (or potentially even none), although most major publications in the UK seem to draw their numbers from a very small range of universities. In fact by and large most employers don't care what subject you studied in uni - they care that you just have a degree at all, in any subject, that is a 2:1 or above. Beyond that they care MUCH more about what relevant work experience you obtained during your degree years, through internships, placements, vacation schemes, etc, etc. If you go to uni for 3 years and do nothing except attend lectures and sit for exams then you aren't going to be employable no matter what you studied (or where). A couple of areas tend to recruit from target unis - this is mainly investment banking and management consulting, although there does seem to be an over-representation of these unis in some other areas like broadcast journalism and the bar.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
If you are this vague about what you want to do at 2 weeks before the UCAS deadline then you need to take a year off from education and do some serious thinking. Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school. A degree will cost you £60k+ - not something to be decided lightly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (86)
67.19%
No (29)
22.66%
I didn't use it to prepare (13)
10.16%

Watched Threads