The Student Room Group

Will there be any good unis in clearing?

What are the chances of this?
My predicted grades are decent but not enough for Law (ABB) so I'm hoping to get a good uni with better exam results.
Law at 'good' Unis = rarely in Clearing - they don't need Clearing to fill the course, and will take their existing 'Firms' fill any spare places.

'Which Uni' realltydoes matter for Law and I'd urge you to spend this year working your socks off (really working, not just pretending) to get the beat possible A level grades you can, and applying to 5 good choices next year rather than accepting something you regret this year.
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
My predicted grades are decent but not enough for Law (ABB) so I'm hoping to get a good uni with better exam results.

Can you give us some examples of universities that you consider “good”?

What are your 5 choices?

Hey, fellow law applicant here! I'd recommend just applying to unis with ABB requirements since you're more likely to get a better uni that way than through clearing. That way as well you have a better option in case clearing this year is rough (which I suspect it will be due to the higher grade requirements and more rigorous application process than last yr due to covid). To be honest, quite a lot of decent unis have ABB for law so it's definitely not the end of the world but it is quite annoying how you have to work a lot harder to get into a russell group for law than most other subjects
The simple truth this year is that Clearing is an unknown as Unis are guessing about the reality of A level results.

This is a cohort who didnt take exams at GCSE level and therefore their exam performance at A level may be poor, but with a reduced curriculum will this be enough for weaker candidates to pull it out of the fire and meet offer grades. We just don't know. Add to this that most top Unis over-recruited by default for the last two years and are keen to pull student numbers back to a manageable level. With all of this in the mix, predicting 2022 Clearing is impossible.

This is why I'm advising applicants in this position - weak predictions and late application to hold off, get the best grades you can and apply next year with good achieved grades - or resit. Anyone relying on Clearing rerally will be taking a huge gamble as both their own performance and how Unis will react are so uncertain.

It's hard to say how many unis will be in Clearing for Law. If you are predicted ABB the best thing you can do in my opinion is apply to the best unis you can in the range AAB-ABB and see what happens. If you get into a uni you are happy with you can take up the place in the summer. But if you see "better" unis in Clearing you can reject the offer you hold to apply somewhere else. Or you can decide to take a year out, but this plan keeps your options open

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending