What are the ‘rules’ when it comes to women and being shirtless

Watch
Redfrost
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
You know how men and women tend to wear less/take their tops off in summer. Ive never really understood what, for women, is appropriate and inappropriate for say walking down the street or outside somewhere

I get that the breasts need to be covered.

I’m confused though as people might not like it if you walk about in a bra yet bikini tops are acceptable/cover the same amount of area

Similarly I’ve seen bra’s in the Nike shop which cover just as much area as a crop top.

So what’s the difference?

If I doing sport outside in summer and got really hot would it be appropriate for me to take my T-shirt off at the end if I had this underneath? Or would it be looked down upon as it’s classed as a bra..

https://www.asos.com/nike-training/n...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I guess it’s just more a case of bras being associated as underwear and always under some kind of top whereas bikini tops aren’t, they’re made to be worn with nothing over them. I guess you could walk around in a bra but you’d be bound to get weird looks, similar to if a guy walked around in his boxers.
Flors
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I think I get the impression that bikinis and sports bra like the one in the link are fine but like lingerie bras are a no? Also as the person above said bikinis and sports bras are viewed as actual tops compared to lingerie which is not.
Redfrost
Rep:
(Original post by Son of the Sea)
I guess it’s just more a case of bras being associated as underwear and always under some kind of top whereas bikini tops aren’t, they’re made to be worn with nothing over them. I guess you could walk around in a bra but you’d be bound to get weird looks, similar to if a guy walked around in his boxers.
Makes sense, never looked at it that way before. Even though it may be obvious to you I often miss logic like this no idea why
I
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Please just wear a t-shirt
Redfrost
Rep:
(Original post by black tea)
Please just wear a t-shirt
No one else does when training in summer most of the guys take their shirts off
cleveranimal56
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I've seen many people just wearing what you've linked in your original post, so I think it should be fine.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I've seen loads of women wearing sports bras like that. Seems pretty normal to me.

Doesn't even look like a bra it looks like an actual top lol.
Last edited by Chicken.M.; 2 weeks ago
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Redfrost)
wish they would keep their shirts on too
Jonathanツ
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Guys take off their t-shirt because they wanna create an ego, and assert their manliness to the other males.

It has nothing to do with how hot they are, a loose thin t-shirt will if anything keep you cooler than no t-shirt
cleveranimal56
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
wish they would keep their shirts on too
Why's that?
Chicken.M.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
Guys take off their t-shirt because they wanna create an ego, and assert their manliness to the other males.

It has nothing to do with how hot they are, a loose thin t-shirt will if anything keep you cooler than no t-shirt
Nah mostly it's because it's hot outside lol. You're just being insecure and projecting.
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
Why's that?
not a fan of looking at half naked people
Slx.24
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
For training yuh just wear a sports one like the nike one in the link lol
I wouldn't usually go around wearing it for no reason though
cleveranimal56
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Not a beach guy then?
Chicken.M.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
close your eyes then lol.
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
Not a beach guy then?
me? no
Jonathanツ
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chicken.M.)
Nah mostly it's because it's hot outside lol. You're just being insecure and projecting.
Nice of you to think that, but some of my mates which are professional fighters with six-packs and all the nice shiz, even they agree that guys who show off (especially in places where there are people who are fat and already feel uncomfortable with being in a place surrounded by shredded dudes) are just **** heads. Obviously, it's perfectly fine to have a nice body and show it off at the beach, in your garden, or on holiday. But as the OP is talking about sports, it's not usually that appropriate (unless you just won a footy match and want to run around the pitch like a mad man)
Chicken.M.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
Nice of you to think that, but some of my mates which are professional fighters with six-packs and all the nice shiz, even they agree that guys who show off (especially in places where there are people who are fat and already feel uncomfortable with being in a place surrounded by shredded dudes) are just **** heads. Obviously, it's perfectly fine to have a nice body and show it off at the beach, in your garden, or on holiday. But as the OP is talking about sports, it's not usually that appropriate (unless you just won a footy match and want to run around the pitch like a mad man)
I highly doubt your friends said people who take their shirts off when it's hot outside are **** heads lol. It's such a normal thing to do I see people doing it every time it's sunny at the park. Even the women do it and start sun bathing. The sun only comes out a couple times a year in UK so people make the most of it.
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chicken.M.)
It's such a normal thing to do I see people doing it every time it's sunny at the park.
And they look absolutely ridiculous doing it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%