AS Level Further Maths Question

Watch this thread
cloudii
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Could anyone help with this question? Any help would be very appreciated

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 16.19.30.png
Views: 25
Size:  35.3 KB
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cloudii)

From part b) you want to somehow square the equation (in u) to get a cubic as the expression is roughly the ~linear coefficient term. Any ideas how to get the cubic?
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 months ago
ZR2002
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It’s roots of a cubic equation, so if the roots were alpha beta and gamma the coefficients for ax^3 bx^2 … e are -b/a = alpha beta gamma , c/a = alpha beta beta gamma gamma alpha. Bc you get roots of alpha beta and gamma using root u, you can square those to compare it w the c coefficient for the value
cloudii
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
From part b) you want to somehow square the equation (in u) to get a cubic as the expression is roughly the ~linear coefficient term. Any ideas how to get the cubic?
No, I'm not sure on how the get the cubic. I originally tried to substitute in root u for x but realised that that wouldn't work so I got stuck.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
No, I'm not sure on how the get the cubic. I originally tried to substitute in root u for x but realised that that wouldn't work so I got stuck.
Do the substitution. Why do you think it doesnt work / is there a slightly different way to square up the polynomial in u to get a cubic?
Faith&hardwork
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 months ago

I assume the I) is simple
So ii)Try to expand(Alphabeta+alphagamma+betagamma)^2
You should get the required term.
cloudii
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
Do the substitution. Why do you think it doesnt work / is there a slightly different way to square up the polynomial in u to get a cubI
I'm not sure but could you eventually say, after substituting root u and rearranging, that u^3 = (-5u-7)^2 and then expand to get that the equation is 0 = u^3 - 25u^2 - 70u - 49? Or is that not the right way to do it?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I'm not sure but could you eventually say, after substituting root u and rearranging, that u^3 = (-5u-7)^2 and then expand to get that the equation is 0 = u^3 - 25u^2 - 70u - 49? Or is that not the right way to do it?
Correct, so part ii) is simply the linear coeff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
34.83%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.73%
It was TERRIBLE (18)
10.11%

Watched Threads