Year 7 Math set 3

Watch
Karmaisasin
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ok so i make a lot of contributions to my class, ask for advice getting better at math, ask for more worksheets, and generally get on with my tasks. And then my teacher puts me in set 3. Now, im not the smartest but i do learn from my mistakes and do math pratcise a lot. So if im good at math, why aren't i at set 2 or 1, but 3?
lesgo21
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
you are in year 7, please just have fun and don't worry so much about these things. It is probably because you are not doing well enough in tests (sets are determined by ability, not necessarily how enthusiastic you are)

as long as you are enjoying your learning, you are fine
Karmaisasin
Rep:
(Original post by lesgo21)
you are in year 7, please just have fun and don't worry so much about these things. It is probably because you are not doing well enough in tests (sets are determined by ability, not necessarily how enthusiastic you are)

as long as you are enjoying your learning, you are fine
Well I do good in tests. I awalys get excelling (which is like A grade) but in my last one i got a B- (securing in my school) And second, i do enjoy my education but i also try to make the best of it.
lcvedingdong
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Karmaisasin)
Well I do good in tests. I awalys get excelling (which is like A grade) but in my last one i got a B- (securing in my school) And second, i do enjoy my education but i also try to make the best of it.
You should ask that to your teachers, but, sets genuinely dont matter considering how you are still in year 7.
Karmaisasin
Rep:
(Original post by lcvedingdong)
You should ask that to your teachers, but, sets genuinely dont matter considering how you are still in year 7.
I did. But im just looking for other people's opinion and recommendations.
lcvedingdong
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I did. But im just looking for other people's opinion and recommendations.
What have your teachers said then?
Everyone has been giving a similar feedback, but dont worry about sets that should be one of the least of your concerns. Trust me. You're getting amazing grades!
tipexmaster25
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Ok so i make a lot of contributions to my class, ask for advice getting better at math, ask for more worksheets, and generally get on with my tasks. And then my teacher puts me in set 3. Now, im not the smartest but i do learn from my mistakes and do math pratcise a lot. So if im good at math, why aren't i at set 2 or 1, but 3?
Don't panic too much! I remember feeling the same as u in year 7 (I was in set 3 and my SATs results were the same as the kids in set 2 and some of set 1). Some schools are really stubborn with the sets, and they probably won't move you until you've done multiple tests and got high scores on them (so it'll probably be the end of the year that you'd change sets anyhow).

But as the person above said, you're only in year 7 now and as long as you're doing your best, you don't have to worry about what set you're in! Your set doesn't determine what grade you will get in your year 11 exams or A-Levels.

Spoiler:
Show
Despite starting in set 3, I ended up with a 8 at GCSE and A* in A-level maths! would love to see my year 7 teachers face rn hahah
Karmaisasin
Rep:
(Original post by tipexmaster25)
Don't panic too much! I remember feeling the same as u in year 7 (I was in set 3 and my SATs results were the same as the kids in set 2 and some of set 1). Some schools are really stubborn with the sets, and they probably won't move you until you've done multiple tests and got high scores on them (so it'll probably be the end of the year that you'd change sets anyhow).

But as the person above said, you're only in year 7 now and as long as you're doing your best, you don't have to worry about what set you're in! Your set doesn't determine what grade you will get in your year 11 exams or A-Levels.

Spoiler:
Show
Despite starting in set 3, I ended up with a 8 at GCSE and A* in A-level maths! would love to see my year 7 teachers face rn hahah
I mean yes. But this isnt about school, its for my own gains. Me being in set 3 dosen't feel like the end of the world to my friends, but to to me, this is equivalent to failing a college.
aliaa03
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I was bottom set for English throughout year 7 and 8, but worked really hard outside class to improve, e.g. reading books, spelling tests, creative writing, etc, and ended up with a grade 9 in GCSE English lang and lit.

you are still so far away from GCSE's and you have SO much time to improve. please please don't stress about being in a lower set in year 7. Often the higher sets or the set above are full up so they can't move you, or perhaps you aren't scoring well enough in your exams. Revise for any upcoming tests you have, ask teachers for feedback and how you can improve, work on your mistakes and take into account the feedback you get after any tests. Ask any friends you have in higher sets if you can read examples of their work or if you could revise together for any upcoming tests. Im sure if you work hard they'll recognise this and you'll be able to move up.

Even if you dont get moved up, it doesn't neccessarily show what you'll get in your GCSE's. I was in middle set for GCSE science and achieved a higher grade than students in the top set, so please dont worry too much. I understand it can be really annoying or make you feel stupid when you're in a lower set compared to your friends, but keep trying hard for your tests or go to your teacher at lunch and ask how you could improve, and im sure you'll work your way up !!!!!
tipexmaster25
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I mean yes. But this isnt about school, its for my own gains. Me being in set 3 dosen't feel like the end of the world to my friends, but to to me, this is equivalent to failing a college.
Man, I know it can make you feel down when you're trying your best and you're still stuck in the same set. But I think maybe you're being too harsh on yourself here? This definitely isn't the equivalent of failing college, and you still have so much time to develop your skills and grow before your exams. In year 7 you're still so young, you shouldn't be fretting about this stuff now. And set 3 isn't the worst set, it may not be the best but isn't it the middle/average set?
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tipexmaster25)
Man, I know it can make you feel down when you're trying your best and you're still stuck in the same set. But I think maybe you're being too harsh on yourself here? This definitely isn't the equivalent of failing college, and you still have so much time to develop your skills and grow before your exams. In year 7 you're still so young, you shouldn't be fretting about this stuff now. And set 3 isn't the worst set, it may not be the best but isn't it the middle/average set?
Depends how big the school is, set 3 could very well be the bottom set

As has been said, your teachers will have a reason, if you can ask them for that reason and work on that, also check to see that the sets above you aren't full as that is a valid reason to not be able to move anyone, especially since it's still the 1st term I wouldn't worry too much about it

Also to say it's equivalent to failing college is a bit of a stretch, you're going to need to learn how to deal with disappointment if I'm being honest, being in set 3 will by far not be the worst experience you have in secondary school
lesgo21
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
at the end of the day marks are what matters. I am sure you would rather be in a lower set with higher grades than in a higher set with lower grades. I understand how you feel but what set you are in has no real meaning. You should measure how well you are doing by your actual results.
Parinoor
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
i had the same problem but in yr8!

so i asked my teacher that could u give me a test and if i do well ill go to set 1! and thats what happened moved straight from set 3 to 1, and the test paper was moderately challenging but i moved up and stayed in set 1 since, hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.94%
Note taking apps (5)
2.94%
Flashcards (30)
17.65%
Revision guides (5)
2.94%
Past papers (85)
50%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.53%

Watched Threads