Should I talk about mental health on my application?

Watch
randomdude121
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm doing this right. As an international student, I'm curious if it would be okay to would it be okay to mention my blog on mental health and trying to share and help people with my experiences in my UCAS personal statement I don't want a university in the uk who might reject me because of my issues with mental health. its just that im an advocate and i would like to have a blog and also list it in my application. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
tipexmaster25
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
If it's relevant to a point you're making (e.g. you're talking about developing your writing skills, being reflective, website building skills), then yes! As far as I know (even for courses like medicine which are very high workload/stress), no uni can discriminate against you for having mental health problems so it shouldn't negatively affect your application. I wouldn't make it the main focus of your UCAS application, but if you've spent a lot of time on this website then I don't see why it would be a problem to mention as an extra-curricular activity/hobby!

Just make sure that all the content on this website is stuff that you are happy sharing with the uni & stuff that you would want the admissions team to see.
jayls
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
A university isn’t going to reject you because of mental health issues. There’s an option for you to disclose mental health issues on your application. As for writing about your blog in your personal statement, if your blog isn’t relevant to your course, I’m not sure whether there is much point in writing about it, unless you can link it to your skills.
Last edited by jayls; 1 week ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
The vast majority of your PS should be about your interest and suitability for the subject at hand. If you include anything else, it should just be a passing reference to other interests.
aliaa03
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by randomdude121)
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm doing this right. As an international student, I'm curious if it would be okay to would it be okay to mention my blog on mental health and trying to share and help people with my experiences in my UCAS personal statement I don't want a university in the uk who might reject me because of my issues with mental health. its just that im an advocate and i would like to have a blog and also list it in my application. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I mentioned this in my veterinary medicine personal statement and received all my interview offers, I even mentioned it in my interview and they were super impressed. Dont just mention it for the sake of it, think about what its taught you/ what you learnt, I.e. it's given you a larger understanding on the importance of mental health which will be beneficial to you as a student to maintain a good work life balance as a student and prevent burn out, or it's allowed you to improve your written communication skills, etc. they aren't going to reject you for any mental health issues unless it could seriously affect your ability on the course or could be hazardous, but dont make it a large part of your personal statement unless its very related to the course, I would just have a couple of lines/ sentences on this and use the rest of your PS to talk about wider reading, why you're interested in the course, work experience or online courses you've done, hobbies/ extracurriculars relating to the course, etc.
Last edited by aliaa03; 1 week ago
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It depends what your subject is and how you'd link it in. Remember that UK personal statements are all about why you want to study your specific subject.

For example, if you're applying to psychology, neuroscience or other courses where mental health is a relevant topic, definitely mention the mental health blog to show that you have work experience and are doing something to extend your knowledge on your subject out of your own free will outside of lessons. It shows great passion (without having to say the word "passionate") and if you link it to a subject that you're currently studying (e.g. "I learnt about x in y class which, together with my personal experiences, inspired me to do a mental health blog where I ... etc."). Mention both the transferrable skills you've gained but also any key knowledge you've gained e.g. through general research or any books etc. you've read while making the blog.

However, if your subject is unrelated to psychology/etc. do still mention it, but place less emphasis on the knowledge and focus more on the skills that you've gained e.g. independent learning, time management, discipline etc.

Don't write about your own mental health in detail though and don't mention how it's impacted your studies/life. This is something that should be mentioned in the teacher's reference section, not your PS. Your personal statement is about you and your passion for your subject only.

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads