Magnetism question

Watch this thread
Rhys_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
If you put a ball bearing in the centre of 2 bar magnets in this arrangement:

N S Ball N S

Will the ball be equally attracted to both magnets and have a net force of 0, or will it become the opposite polarity to which ever magnet interacts with it first and so will be attracted to one side?
Thank you
Lio_R6
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
I'm only an A-Level student in physics, but I believe the ball will become polarised, and be held within the two magnets, the net force being, as you said, 0

provided the magnets have the same strength, and are strong enough to overcome the force of gravity
and the ball is placed perfectly between the magnets (in the exact centre)
Lio_R6
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
A more in-depth explanation can be given, but it's not needed for this problem.
Hope that helps
Rhys_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Lio_R6)
I'm only an A-Level student in physics, but I believe the ball will become polarised, and be held within the two magnets, the net force being, as you said, 0

provided the magnets have the same strength, and are strong enough to overcome the force of gravity
and the ball is placed perfectly between the magnets (in the exact centre)
I'm an A-Level student too and assumed this would be the case but wasn't fully sure - hence felt stupid because it should be so simple.
Thanks for your reply!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.74%
The paper was reasonable (192)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.38%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
10.15%

Watched Threads