Failed one of my essays :/

Watch
buffalod
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
long story short, I recently got my results back from one of my essays, I failed. I suspect a reason why I failed is due to me starting uni at third year and admissions screwing up which resulted in me starting on week 8, the tutor wasn’t helpful much either but quite passive aggressive when I raised this.

Anyway, I failed. I got 31%. pretty bad, this assignment weighted 40%. The next is 60%, to pass the module how much would I need? I know at this uni (Wolverhampton) for failed essays you get a max of 4 resits for an essay if failed.

Any help is appreciated, i’m very nervous as I don’t understand much considering I’ve been thrown straight to third year.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by buffalod)
long story short, I recently got my results back from one of my essays, I failed. I suspect a reason why I failed is due to me starting uni at third year and admissions screwing up which resulted in me starting on week 8, the tutor wasn’t helpful much either but quite passive aggressive when I raised this.

Anyway, I failed. I got 31%. pretty bad, this assignment weighted 40%. The next is 60%, to pass the module how much would I need? I know at this uni (Wolverhampton) for failed essays you get a max of 4 resits for an essay if failed.

Any help is appreciated, i’m very nervous as I don’t understand much considering I’ve been thrown straight to third year.
A bit of extra context would be good as a transfer into the 3rd year is extremely rare. It’s not at all surprising you are finding this tough as it’s unlikely you covered ever prerequisite 2nd year course in the same way as everyone else. An 8 week delayed start also means you have missed a lot of 3rd year material, with the best will in the world, no member of academic staff is going to be able to just fix that for you. You must have given this some thought before doing the transfer ?
buffalod
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
A bit of extra context would be good as a transfer into the 3rd year is extremely rare. It’s not at all surprising you are finding this tough as it’s unlikely you covered ever prerequisite 2nd year course in the same way as everyone else. An 8 week delayed start also means you have missed a lot of 3rd year material, with the best will in the world, no member of academic staff is going to be able to just fix that for you. You must have given this some thought before doing the transfer ?
The transfer was out of my control. I was accepted on to third year which I requested in June. Which, as I already had a distinction level certification in the same course on a HND is why they accepted me although the admissions team messed it up on their behalf.

Do you mind answering the initial question or do you not know?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by buffalod)
The transfer was out of my control. I was accepted on to third year which I requested in June. Which, as I already had a distinction level certification in the same course on a HND is why they accepted me although the admissions team messed it up on their behalf.
Ok, so it sounds like you have some relevant skills but have also done a very different course structure and been assessed in different ways previously. I would look at three things to try.

(1) Other students on your current course likely did a lot more essay writing than your HND required. Polish your “general” academic writing ability, does the new institution have “extra” courses in this. They are often aimed at 1st year overseas students, but get help where you can.

(2) Catch up with this year’s material, find out what you missed, get the notes, work through them and any exercises and problem sets. Say goodby to spare time and weekends for a while.

(3) Start looking back at the 2nd year module lists and past exam papers and use this to identify bits of the course you have missed out on or done in a different way that don’t translate well. That gives you some targets to focus your effort on and will help identify holes not to fall into.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.5%
October 2021 (251)
45.31%
November 2021 (66)
11.91%
December 2021 (69)
12.45%
January 2021 (71)
12.82%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (44)
7.94%