How much do first year grades matter when applying for MSc Comp Sci?

Watch
usernameforme
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, current second-year BSc Computer Science student applying for MSc Computer Science next year and wondering how much will my first year grades matter? I got poor grades (57%), so when applying all that the university will have to judge me on will be this year's and last years grades.

Maybe if they do matter I could take a year out before doing the MSc such that I could also use my third-year grades in the application?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by usernameforme)
Hi, current second-year BSc Computer Science student applying for MSc Computer Science next year and wondering how much will my first year grades matter? I got poor grades (57%), so when applying all that the university will have to judge me on will be this year's and last years grades.

Maybe if they do matter I could take a year out before doing the MSc such that I could also use my third-year grades in the application?
They will want a transcript, so they will be able to see them, but they will also give you an offer based on a final grade, like A levels for undergrad.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
With postgrad, each uni will have its own method of assessing candidates. As above, they will want a full transcript, but it's not unusual to have a weaker first year before finding your feet.

I'm not an admissions tutor for COMPSCI, but I do assess postgrad apps. Predominantly we are interested in your year 2 onwards and your general grade trajectory. I might comment on some wobbly grades but 57% overall in yr1 isn't shocking.
stevenball
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I believe it'll only matter if you're applying to competitive universities with limited places. If you do plan on taking a year off, you should definitely consider working for a year. That'll definitely increase your chances, probably enough to ignore your first year grades.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by usernameforme)

Hi usernameforme - I saw your post and just thought I'd give you some thoughts/advice from my perspective!

I work at the University of Strathclyde and for our MSc in Computer Science we would be looking at your overall degree qualification/result (or predicted result) rather than individual years, even though you may have to provide transcripts for each year, so while it might be noted that you didn't have such a great 1st year, as long as you keep your good work up for the next year or two it *hopefully* shouldn't affect you too much. Now obviously I can't comment for other institutions as it will differ from one university to the next, so if you are applying for a very competitive course at certain institutions they could view this differently. My advice would be to contact the admissions teams at the university(ies) you are considering, and they should be able to advise or potentially provide some reassurance Best of luck with your application!

Sarah - University of Strathclyde rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%