#anonymous_user
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, hope whoever’s reading this is well!
I’m currently in year 12 and have been considering my options after I sit my a levels (I’m very indecisive lol so I thought if I try finding stuff out now rather than in y13 I have more time to pick what’s best for me etc). I’m currently studying bio, chem and Spanish.
I’m thinking about applying for medicine but I’m not sure, because at the same time I would love to do something where I can learn Spanish fluently - (even though my grades in Spanish aren’t the best atm 😬 - hopefully I improve 😭).
I’ve been trying to find info about studying medicine abroad for one year, but I can’t find any links etc. and the ones I’ve come across don’t really explain much. I’ve seen a couple people online who’ve studied / are studying abroad for six months to a year, but they’ve not really clarified how they’ve applied etc or which unis they attend.
I was wondering if anyone has any info / website links / or their own experiences that they can share to help me understand the whole application process, which unis offer it, and basically anything that might be useful. Also is it even possible to study abroad whilst doing medicine, or is the whole thing limited to certain courses?
Thanks so much for any help or advice!!
P.S. I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn’t entirely sure where to place it
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
There are no year abroads available for medicine afaik.
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
QMUL malta
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
QMUL malta
Enlighten me
#anonymous_user
Rep:
oh no 😭 okay thanks so much for letting me know and thank you for your reply!!
#anonymous_user
Rep:
QMUL malta
thanks so much for this, I’m going to try finding info about it! If you have any links etc pls lmk! Thank you!
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by #anonymous_user)
thanks so much for this, I’m going to try finding info about it! If you have any links etc pls lmk! Thank you!
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate...ear-programme/

Just realised you wanted only 1 year! Sorry! this is all abroad, sorry hungrysalamander
There are also some final year electives in some unis that you can go abroad for
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

Just realised you wanted only 1 year! Sorry! this is all abroad, sorry hungrysalamander
There are also some final year electives in some unis that you can go abroad for
No worries! Besides, I don't think they speak Spanish in Malta. It depends on what the situation with covid will be like in 5 years tbh, most electives have been cancelled due to the pandemic.
lamia_bts
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I’m currently in year 12 and have been considering my options after I sit my a levels (I’m very indecisive lol so I thought if I try finding stuff out now rather than in y13 I have more time to pick what’s best for me etc). I’m currently studying bio, chem and Spanish.
I’m thinking about applying for medicine but I’m not sure, because at the same time I would love to do something where I can learn Spanish fluently - (even though my grades in Spanish aren’t the best atm 😬 - hopefully I improve 😭).
I’ve been trying to find info about studying medicine abroad for one year, but I can’t find any links etc. and the ones I’ve come across don’t really explain much. I’ve seen a couple people online who’ve studied / are studying abroad for six months to a year, but they’ve not really clarified how they’ve applied etc or which unis they attend.
I was wondering if anyone has any info / website links / or their own experiences that they can share to help me understand the whole application process, which unis offer it, and basically anything that might be useful. Also is it even possible to study abroad whilst doing medicine, or is the whole thing limited to certain courses?
P.S. I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn’t entirely sure where to place it
Most want maths for ur third subject to get into medicine... Very few get lucky and manage it with psychology...but every year the competition becomes harder... So maths is the way to go.
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lamia_bts)
Most want maths for ur third subject to get into medicine... Very few get lucky and manage it with psychology...but every year the competition becomes harder... So maths is the way to go.
Nope, only cambridge wants it, OP please refer to medicine threads! ecolier can help
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
That's false. The only medical school that requires 3 sciences is Cambridge. The 3rd subject does not matter as long as you have biology and chemistry.
#anonymous_user
Rep:

Thanks so much, honestly!! Just wondering if you know, but does studying medicine the whole five years abroad make the qualification “less valued” or something when trying to find a UK based job than if you were to study the whole thing in UK?
I have no idea if this made sense but idk how else to phrase it
lamia_bts
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Nope, only cambridge wants it, OP please refer to medicine threads! ecolier can help
Only cambridge..? I'm so sure that the top unis all wanted maths...
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
What are you on about? Rankings/prestige does not matter for medicine as they are all regulated to a strict standard by the GMC, and the NHS will not care about the medical school you attended.
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Nope, most want bio+chem + other
lamia_bts
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
What are you on about? Rankings/prestige does not matter for medicine as they are all regulated to a strict standard by the GMC, and the NHS will not care about the medical school you attended.
Nope, most want bio+chem + other
Wow... My life has been a lie...
edofromitaly
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I know this is likely not what you are looking for, but I know that the university of Milan (public) has a relatively highly ranked medicine course entirely in English (https://www.unimi.it/en/education/in...cal-school-ims) as well as Humanitas university (private) (https://www.hunimed.eu/course/medicine/)
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
This is inaccurate info. Maths can help with Bio and Chem A levels but Maths being your 3rd subject isn't needed nor favoured.

hungrysalamander and CatInTheCorner are right.
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 week ago
lamia_bts
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
This is inaccurate info. Maths can help with Bio and Chem A levels but Maths being your 3rd subject isn't needed nor favoured.

hungrysalamander and CatInTheCorner are right.
I'm actually pretty shook by this new piece of info. 😔😔
Every teacher tells me Dat u need maths for medicine EVERY person ik Dat aims for med all go for bio, Chem, maths..
Bcs maths apparently... Makes u stand out...
Do medical skools care wat u do in ur alevel?
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Wow... My life has been a lie...
Would you like to hear about how Cambridge doesn't look at GCSE's much beyond their minimum requirements?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads