Uni 2nd year?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Right so I'm in my first year of university right and I'm on top of my coursework and everything. However, I don't have a job and I'm having to rely on sfe which isn't too great I mean of course it helps pf course but I don't have anything in thr way of work. If nothing comes up within this semester I'm thinking about doing an apprenticeship instead only because I can't do university without any money really. What do others think about this. Thanks
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Right so I'm in my first year of university right and I'm on top of my coursework and everything. However, I don't have a job and I'm having to rely on sfe which isn't too great I mean of course it helps pf course but I don't have anything in thr way of work. If nothing comes up within this semester I'm thinking about doing an apprenticeship instead only because I can't do university without any money really. What do others think about this. Thanks
Aren't your parents helping? They are expected to help out if you aren't getting the full amount.
super_hannah
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
See if you could get some evening bar work to help fund your studies. Lots of places will take on students looking for jobs.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

I guess it depends where you go to uni and how much money you need but I know where I go to uni there are quite a lot of job options. I had 2 jobs in first and second year and they were both flexible so I could choose the hours - one as an ambassador for the uni and the other for a catering company that sent me to places in Portsmouth! Loads of people usually have a job in the city centre or at shopping centre and I think unis have quite a few different paid jobs you could look into. It worked quite well for me but probably wouldn't have paid for all my bills etc. but it did help that I had those jobs. If you are really in need of help you could also go to your finance department and they might be able to give you financial support you don't have to pay back! But if you did find a good apprenticeship you should definitely go for it because its great to be able to get your degree and earn money at the same time!

All the best,

Jubilee UoP Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
Aren't your parents helping? They are expected to help out if you aren't getting the full amount.
I am entitled to the full amount as my parents don't have a big income so
Anonymous #1
(Original post by super_hannah)
See if you could get some evening bar work to help fund your studies. Lots of places will take on students looking for jobs.
I will do but here's the thing. I want to sort of do something I love if you get what I mean. I would love to apply for like bar work or something but you see i know other students who struggle or don't like their part time jobs. I would love to apply for a student Ambassador position but that's not till next year so. Bit of a tricky situation.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi there,

I guess it depends where you go to uni and how much money you need but I know where I go to uni there are quite a lot of job options. I had 2 jobs in first and second year and they were both flexible so I could choose the hours - one as an ambassador for the uni and the other for a catering company that sent me to places in Portsmouth! Loads of people usually have a job in the city centre or at shopping centre and I think unis have quite a few different paid jobs you could look into. It worked quite well for me but probably wouldn't have paid for all my bills etc. but it did help that I had those jobs. If you are really in need of help you could also go to your finance department and they might be able to give you financial support you don't have to pay back! But if you did find a good apprenticeship you should definitely go for it because its great to be able to get your degree and earn money at the same time!

All the best,

Jubilee UoP Rep
Well you see the thing is i don't really have a job right now so I have money from sfe but I don't want it to run out. I need to see my tutor and the student finance team. I wanted to do the student Ambassador role this year but they have closed till next year and i can't really go this year without having a job. So. plus with an apprenticeship hopefully in teaching I can earn while i learn. I volunteer at a local primary school and I love that but again it doesn't pau the bills so to speak so.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I am entitled to the full amount as my parents don't have a big income so
That should be enough without working. Write down everything you are spending to see where you could save.
super_hannah
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I will do but here's the thing. I want to sort of do something I love if you get what I mean. I would love to apply for like bar work or something but you see i know other students who struggle or don't like their part time jobs. I would love to apply for a student Ambassador position but that's not till next year so. Bit of a tricky situation.
I understand that. But you might have to do something you're not so keen on temporarily just to be able to finance your studies.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by super_hannah)
I understand that. But you might have to do something you're not so keen on temporarily just to be able to finance your studies.
Of course I mean yeah i can get that but again I mean I personally think it'd be a waste of my talent. Of course I should definitely do it but what happens if I don't get a part time job what happens if I don't succeed in gaining employment.
Anonymous #1
That should be enough without working. Write down everything you are spending to see where you could save.
I'm going without meals well i was last semester just to keep afloat. Things are not cheap.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm going without meals well i was last semester just to keep afloat. Things are not cheap.
As I said write down what you are spending - do you cook from scratch and batch bake? Can you move into cheaper accommodation next year? There are ways to live just on the loan and you can get a summer job.
Anonymous #1
As I said write down what you are spending - do you cook from scratch and batch bake? Can you move into cheaper accommodation next year? There are ways to live just on the loan and you can get a summer job.
Yeah that's very true but summer jobs is a bit precarious with the contract of my accommodation. I'm in the cheapest accommodation available at the moment aha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.49%
October 2021 (251)
45.23%
November 2021 (66)
11.89%
December 2021 (69)
12.43%
January 2021 (72)
12.97%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (44)
7.93%