How can i regain my high scores? (sorry in advance if this is long to read)

Watch
cxndyy
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I used to be very good in most of my subjects and have always been in set 1 for all subjects but as i’ve gone up each year i’ve realised that my knowledge has been decreasing. My scores in year 7 were probably better than my test scores in year 11. My worries aren’t my options but rather the core subjects. I want to do 4 a levels consisting of maths and physics but maths is probably my worst subject. Even though i’ve always been naturally good at english i’ve been recently failing that too so i’m lost on which a level to pick. For year 10 practice mocks i got a 4 in both maths and science and a 7 for english lang and lit but i’m in set 2 for all core subjects because i got just about a pass for every end of term assessment last year whether i tried on them or not. I know how to revise on maths and science so i feel like i can improve on those on my own but i’m really worried about english because even though i dont need it for a levels i need to pass it along with maths to get into a good sixth form/ univeristy. Additionally i have no clue how to revise on english, i’ve always been naturally talented at it so i have never revised for it but recently i’ve been getting grades i didn’t expect and in my recent mocks i didn’t get the marks i wanted. I was very disappointed because i though i had done well in my language paper because i started from the back since i thought that i could secure more marks if i done question 5 (i always choose narrative) first but i unfortunately had no time left for question 4 and my teacher said that she got lost in my story and didnt understand some parts because i used too much advanced vocabulary to the point it made no sense so im guessing i got marked down for that. I’ve been trying to write in a more simple form and focusing more on structural devices however whenever i try it sounds so boring and i start to contradict what i write and feel like it’s not worthy of a high mark and it doesn’t make me feel as confident and i don’t know how i’m going to improve because i can’t really tell the reader what’s going on but i can’t confuse them either so i don’t know how i should word my sentences…
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cxndyy)
I used to be very good in most of my subjects and have always been in set 1 for all subjects but as i’ve gone up each year i’ve realised that my knowledge has been decreasing. My scores in year 7 were probably better than my test scores in year 11. My worries aren’t my options but rather the core subjects. I want to do 4 a levels consisting of maths and physics but maths is probably my worst subject. Even though i’ve always been naturally good at english i’ve been recently failing that too so i’m lost on which a level to pick. For year 10 practice mocks i got a 4 in both maths and science and a 7 for english lang and lit but i’m in set 2 for all core subjects because i got just about a pass for every end of term assessment last year whether i tried on them or not. I know how to revise on maths and science so i feel like i can improve on those on my own but i’m really worried about english because even though i dont need it for a levels i need to pass it along with maths to get into a good sixth form/ univeristy. Additionally i have no clue how to revise on english, i’ve always been naturally talented at it so i have never revised for it but recently i’ve been getting grades i didn’t expect and in my recent mocks i didn’t get the marks i wanted. I was very disappointed because i though i had done well in my language paper because i started from the back since i thought that i could secure more marks if i done question 5 (i always choose narrative) first but i unfortunately had no time left for question 4 and my teacher said that she got lost in my story and didnt understand some parts because i used too much advanced vocabulary to the point it made no sense so im guessing i got marked down for that. I’ve been trying to write in a more simple form and focusing more on structural devices however whenever i try it sounds so boring and i start to contradict what i write and feel like it’s not worthy of a high mark and it doesn’t make me feel as confident and i don’t know how i’m going to improve because i can’t really tell the reader what’s going on but i can’t confuse them either so i don’t know how i should word my sentences…
Some punctuation would help this very breathless and panicked narrative.
cxndyy
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
Some punctuation would help this very breathless and panicked narrative.
i don’t really like using punctuation in text since some people take it weirdly i guess but it’s there for my actual work
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
i don’t really like using punctuation in text since some people take it weirdly i guess but it’s there for my actual work
Paragraphs would be helpful

Best way to revise for english is practice questions really:
https://files.schudio.com/mayfield-s..._Checklist.pdf - something to take a look at
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
would definitely advise Mr Salles and/or Mr Bruff for English
cxndyy
Rep:
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
Paragraphs would be helpful

Best way to revise for english is practice questions really:
https://files.schudio.com/mayfield-s..._Checklist.pdf - something to take a look at
sorry i usually do use paragraphs but i was in kind of a rush, and thank you for the link!
cxndyy
Rep:
(Original post by _Mia101)
would definitely advise Mr Salles and/or Mr Bruff for English
Thank you, i’ll definitely keep that in mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7%
October 2021 (116)
47.74%
November 2021 (24)
9.88%
December 2021 (32)
13.17%
January 2021 (21)
8.64%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.7%