gcse history

Watch this thread
Alina...
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
im considered an able student in school and get mostly 8s and 9s in all mu subjects but HISTORY IS THE ONE SUBJECT I STRUGGLE SO MUCH WITH
!!!!!!

its not necessarily the content, more the actual exam, its so difficult to get marks and i end up with a grade 5 or 6

i do so many exam questions and still get TERRIBLE in the exam and I revise so much for it
i do
aqa power and the people, aqa elizabthan england and aqa conflict and tension inter war years
siahateskwl
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
have you tried working on your paragraphing structure, you need content that flows in a chronological order and links to every other paragraph! also if you struggle with writing a lot of content down, bullet point at the end, they can give marks for that
ArcticChimera
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I flew through GCSE History. However I did History A Level (I came out fine in the end) but struggled sooo much at first!

What question types are we dealing with here? I did Edexcel, not AQA, at GCSE, so I just want to get a rough view of the essay structures.

What I will say, is that History is so much to do with the argument you are putting across in the essay and not the content itself. You only really need a few facts to get by (I wish I had known this at the time). Your ability to write essays with a clear statement of your argument in the intro, a few sentences which link back to your argument in each paragraph and a consolidatory conclusion bringing everything together at the end is very important.
Alina...
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by ArcticChimera)
I flew through GCSE History. However I did History A Level (I came out fine in the end) but struggled sooo much at first!

What question types are we dealing with here? I did Edexcel, not AQA, at GCSE, so I just want to get a rough view of the essay structures.

What I will say, is that History is so much to do with the argument you are putting across in the essay and not the content itself. You only really need a few facts to get by (I wish I had known this at the time). Your ability to write essays with a clear statement of your argument in the intro, a few sentences which link back to your argument in each paragraph and a consolidatory conclusion bringing everything together at the end is very important.
tysm!
its questions like
source questions (8)
explain the significance of xxx (8)
compare xxxx with xxxxx (8)
xxx has been the main factor causing protest since the medieval period (16+4)

elizabeth
interpretation question - like a source -8
explain the importance of - 8
write an account -8

i find the explanation hard, they want us to link factors together and yada yada yada but its just so complex!
sciencegcsesss
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Alina...)
tysm!
its questions like
source questions (8)
explain the significance of xxx (8)
compare xxxx with xxxxx (8)
xxx has been the main factor causing protest since the medieval period (16+4)

elizabeth
interpretation question - like a source -8
explain the importance of - 8
write an account -8

i find the explanation hard, they want us to link factors together and yada yada yada but its just so complex!
Well done for already putting so much effort into your history studies! Based on what you’ve posted, I would ask the person who had marked your exam questions specifically why you got those grades, what you need to improve and hot to actually improve. If you’re struggling with explaining and linking things together, then ask your teacher what the actual effect of these events were - this will help develop your understanding of the impact. Also as an exam tip, I would say that adding an evaluation can be a really easy but effective way to boost your grade. By evaluation I mean a counter-argument. For example, you could say that with the Northern Rebellion of 15(78 ish? - it’s been a while since my gcse haha) where the Catholic earls tried to rebel against Elizabeth I the leader of the rebellion would marry the Protestant Mary Queen of Scots. However, although the earls were Catholic the leader was Protestant. Therefore, the rebellion was not motivated by religion because even if it had succeeded the rulers of England would be Protestant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads