The Student Room Group

Personal statement - Do I include this?!?!

I have autism and went all throughout school undiagnosed and unaware of why I struggled so much with so many different things. Because of this, I couldn't handle another year of school and left after S5 to go to college and get an HND, and I was diagnosed just as I started it.

So here's the thing, I was advised by the Edinburgh admissions to include the reason I left school to get an HND in my "personal statement/reference".

The slash is really throwing me off lmao, I don't know if that is something that is meant to even go in your personal statement?! I have spoken to my referee and she's happy to include it all in my reference, so idk if I need to put it in my personal statement as well or not?

Edinburgh is my top choice so I would really appreciate your help! :smile:
Depending on what you're applying for, you could try and link it to that maybe? Idk if it would work for you - in mine I said that it helped me to see the world differently to most other ppl - I'm applying to do art. As long as your referee is going to include it in your personal statement, you might not want to waste characters by putting it in your personal statement, and you can use those to focus on other stuff. You might say that it has helped you to develop further... etc. and that you were still able to continue your passion, despite the challenges that you have faced to get there. You could always put it in, even if you go over the character limit, and get someone to check it over before you send it in, and see what works etc. As said before, if you have been advised to include it, I would definitely follow that and include it in one way or another. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Wibble04
Depending on what you're applying for, you could try and link it to that maybe? Idk if it would work for you - in mine I said that it helped me to see the world differently to most other ppl - I'm applying to do art. As long as your referee is going to include it in your personal statement, you might not want to waste characters by putting it in your personal statement, and you can use those to focus on other stuff. You might say that it has helped you to develop further... etc. and that you were still able to continue your passion, despite the challenges that you have faced to get there. You could always put it in, even if you go over the character limit, and get someone to check it over before you send it in, and see what works etc. As said before, if you have been advised to include it, I would definitely follow that and include it in one way or another. Hope this helps.

thank you so much! I'm applying for law, so I sometimes worry that they won't want me in their course because I'm Autistic, but that's probably silly. I think I maybe won't mention it.
Do you think it will definitely be taken into consideration by unis if its only in my reference?
Reply 3
Original post by nom06
I have autism and went all throughout school undiagnosed and unaware of why I struggled so much with so many different things. Because of this, I couldn't handle another year of school and left after S5 to go to college and get an HND, and I was diagnosed just as I started it.

So here's the thing, I was advised by the Edinburgh admissions to include the reason I left school to get an HND in my "personal statement/reference".

The slash is really throwing me off lmao, I don't know if that is something that is meant to even go in your personal statement?! I have spoken to my referee and she's happy to include it all in my reference, so idk if I need to put it in my personal statement as well or not?

Edinburgh is my top choice so I would really appreciate your help! :smile:

I think you should maybe read the course information that Edinburgh gives out because they may mention that they don't take your reference into account! I think you should definitely include it and spin it as a positive thing - perhaps say how it lets you see things in a different light? Your personal statement is all about hyping yourself up :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by twahaa
I think you should maybe read the course information that Edinburgh gives out because they may mention that they don't take your reference into account! I think you should definitely include it and spin it as a positive thing - perhaps say how it lets you see things in a different light? Your personal statement is all about hyping yourself up :biggrin:

Omg I read that first sentence wrong and thought you said that they don't take references into account, my stomach dropped hahaha. I checked and I'm pretty sure they do, it's more a question of whether they'll take the circumstances into account lol.
You're right, I definitely have a lot of positives to talk about when it comes to my autism, it's just about finding the ones that make me more suitable for the course. There are a bunch of things I feel are positive about it, like a near perfect memory, being very logical, super detail oriented, but really I have no idea how these make me a good candidate for a Law degree hahaha
Reply 5
Edinburgh’s website says they use the reference to ‘support the information provided in the personal statement.’ For this reason I’d mention it in your personal statement as well
Reply 6
Original post by Khfhgdd
Edinburgh’s website says they use the reference to ‘support the information provided in the personal statement.’ For this reason I’d mention it in your personal statement as well

oooh this was super helpful thank you
Original post by nom06
oooh this was super helpful thank you

Extenuating circumstances are generally best left in your reference unless there is something specific it can add regarding your interest in the course
Reply 8
Original post by Interrobang
Extenuating circumstances are generally best left in your reference unless there is something specific it can add regarding your interest in the course

Yeah that's what I've been told for ages, which is why I'm so conflicted. I was also told by my lecturer at college (also referee) to maybe add a bit into my personal statement as well... I have my final draft written and there is one sentence about why I went to college to get an HND instead of doing a final year at school, but it doesn't say anything about not getting the grades because of it etc. Is this a good middle ground?
Original post by nom06
Yeah that's what I've been told for ages, which is why I'm so conflicted. I was also told by my lecturer at college (also referee) to maybe add a bit into my personal statement as well... I have my final draft written and there is one sentence about why I went to college to get an HND instead of doing a final year at school, but it doesn't say anything about not getting the grades because of it etc. Is this a good middle ground?

If that's all you're saying in your PS I would just remove it and let your referee mention it. All your grades should be in your application
Reply 10
Original post by Interrobang
If that's all you're saying in your PS I would just remove it and let your referee mention it. All your grades should be in your application

Do you think I would be at a disadvantage by mentioning it? I have also got one more sentence near the end that links to it, and I have worded it to be a positive thing. Should it all be taken out? I have the space for it anyway so idk. Thank you for helping btw
Original post by nom06
Do you think I would be at a disadvantage by mentioning it? I have also got one more sentence near the end that links to it, and I have worded it to be a positive thing. Should it all be taken out? I have the space for it anyway so idk. Thank you for helping btw

I don't see how you could be at a disadvantage by not mentioning it. And remember that your PS is likely to reach the line limit first, so it depends on what you're checking it with

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending