The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance of getting into med school? (mental health)

I have schizophrenia but I am also bright. I hope to work in healthcare one day. I am psychotic and have EUPD. No one will accept me will they.
on the optimistic side they may have to keep your schizophrenia confidential or it may be used to lower your offer entrance - i don’t think it should effect your offer as long as it doesn’t impair your ability to work well. good luck 😅
Your application for any course will depend on many aspects. Your mental health issues may have an impact on your success but the main thing to consider is how you will cope with future education/job options.
Perhaps medicine is not the right route for you, it’s extremely stressful and pressured.
Put your mental health first and think of a future career that suits your strengths.
There may be more occupational health checks. might have more insight on this.
Reply 4
Original post by Greebo85
Your application for any course will depend on many aspects. Your mental health issues may have an impact on your success but the main thing to consider is how you will cope with future education/job options.
Perhaps medicine is not the right route for you, it’s extremely stressful and pressured.
Put your mental health first and think of a future career that suits your strengths.

Is nursing just as stressful?
Believe it or not, as long as your attending psychiatrist has evaluated you as functional; you will be accepted subject to meeting all the other requirements.

The only careers that aren’t an option, are security roles like in the Police, Armed Forces and Intelligence Agencies
Reply 6
Original post by EconomicsStud3nt
Believe it or not, as long as your attending psychiatrist has evaluated you as functional; you will be accepted subject to meeting all the other requirements.

The only careers that aren’t an option, are security roles like in the Police, Armed Forces and Intelligence Agencies

So I can’t work for the police or MI5! :eek: :frown:
Original post by Honeyrain
So I can’t work for the police or MI5! :eek: :frown:

Yeah, not for certain roles. Like police officer or detective, other options are probably not going to decline though. Same with intelligence agencies. Anything that has to minimise risk as much as they can usually denies patients with a history of mental illness.

(EDIT) Pilots and air traffic controllers are also another example i’m pretty sure.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Well that’s great.

Quick Reply