emilytakesonlife
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
Wondering if anyone knows how competitive it is to get on a primary PGCE course? Applying for September 2022 and looking to apply to courses in Yorkshire.
Also if anyone knows how competitive primary school teaching jobs are that'd be really helpful.
For context I have experience working with children (but only 2 days in schools, been hard to get with covid) and am on track for a high 2:1 from a top university. Do I have much chance without school experience?
Thanks so much
Last edited by emilytakesonlife; 1 week ago
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Hi Emily,

The Department for Education does not make it mandatory to have school experience in order to get onto a teacher training course.
I would make sure that you have signed up to the Get into Teaching programme so that an advisor can help you with key application preparation.
Use this link:
https://getintoteaching.education.go...st/signup/name
Your experience is highly relevant and you should proceed with confidence, there will always be a requirement or good quality primary teachers
Good luck
Meg
Last edited by Get into Teaching; 1 week ago
PrimaryITE
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hi Emily,

The Department for Education does make it mandatory to have school experience in order to get onto a teacher training course.
It is not mandatory to have school experience to get on a teacher training course.
"Prior experience in a school is not required. However, where candidates have been able to gain experience in schools, providers might find reports from those schools helpful. Lack of school experience should not be a reason for rejecting an otherwise suitable applicant."(DfE ITT Criteria section 1.3 )

You can use the DfE website to help find a school placement for some more experience -https://schoolexperience.education.gov.uk/] https://schoolexperience.education.gov.uk/ [/url]however ITT providers do understand the limitations due to covid. I can't speak for others but having just 2 days experience would not be enough on its own for us to reject an applicant.

Primary teacher training courses are very competitive and you should try and get your application in as soon as possible in order to give yourself the best chance to start in September 2022
emilytakesonlife
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PrimaryITE)
It is not mandatory to have school experience to get on a teacher training course.
"Prior experience in a school is not required. However, where candidates have been able to gain experience in schools, providers might find reports from those schools helpful. Lack of school experience should not be a reason for rejecting an otherwise suitable applicant."(DfE ITT Criteria section 1.3 )

You can use the DfE website to help find a school placement for some more experience -]https://schoolexperience.education.gov.uk/] https://schoolexperience.education.gov.uk/ [/url]however ITT providers do understand the limitations due to covid. I can't speak for others but having just 2 days experience would not be enough on its own for us to reject an applicant.

Primary teacher training courses are very competitive and you should try and get your application in as soon as possible in order to give yourself the best chance to start in September 2022
Thanks for all your help. I have lots of experience working with young people just only 2 days in school. Do you think it is worth trying to be strategic with where I apply or is it fairly standardly over subscribed everywhere?
Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PrimaryITE)
PrimaryITE is absolutely correct. Classroom experience is not part of the eligibility criteria for entry onto a teacher training course. However, it can be useful to strengthen an application for a course, as you may develop an awareness.

I've edited the original post to make it accurate.

Thank you.
PrimaryITE
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emilytakesonlife)
Thanks for all your help. I have lots of experience working with young people just only 2 days in school. Do you think it is worth trying to be strategic with where I apply or is it fairly standardly over subscribed everywhere?
Thanks again for all your help and advice.
From my experience there doesn't seem to be a shortage of applicants to Primary.

When applying I would suggest going for providers you would like to train with. There are differences between content for everyone (there is a core content everyone has to offer but it's what's given on top of that) so it's what you think best meets your needs. This includes location of your placements as well. For a PGCE it can be beneficial to train in the roughly same geographical areas you want to end up living in, however for financial reasons it may be better to train near 'home'. You definitely want to be living somewhere you are happy with as you won't be training/teaching all the time. If you're not happy where you are living then it can make training to teach significantly harder
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads