I am not sure if I should do a masters

Watch
Zee00
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I am in my third year of uni and I am unsure if I want to do a master and was hoping to get some guidance or at least pointed in the direction of getting help.

So I am a third year computer science student and I want to go in the games industry either as a 3D artist (preferred) or a programmer, but the thing is I dont know much about games development, like for my end of year project I made a game but I did struggle on certain aspects of it, and a lot of it seemed unorganised in terms of how I developed the game but I guess I could learn through youtube videos as there is a big gaming instruction videos community there.

So I was thinking of doing a masters in games development, and to try and build up an art portfollio to help with being a 3d-artist, another reason is I dont also have many friends so I was thinking to try and make some friends during my masters, because I am scared of being alone after uni, but I dont really know what the social aspect of a masters is like so I dont know if that is possible.

so would a masters be a good fit for me? I am not sure because I also dont know if I would be wasting my time at the uni getting a degree, because maybe I would have so much work where I cant get a chance to build an art portfolio and make new friends. so any guidance or perspectives would be nice
coco:)
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
hmm, that's an interesting one... I'm not sure how companies will view having a masters or if they would value work experience/ an art portfolio more? You could always try and do bits for your art portfolio whilst doing a masters or even right now but that may be hard. Have you had a look for any internships/work experience in that industry as well as graduate entry jobs from a degree in Computer Science? Try and see if you can go to an introduction/open day sort of event at a company you're interested in and see what they value - you obviously don't want to be doing a masters if you don't need to!

Also, I would suggest speaking to a careers advisor or tutor at uni if possible.
Last edited by coco:); 1 week ago
Zee00
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by coco:))
hmm, that's an interesting one... I'm not sure how companies will view having a masters or if they would value work experience/ an art portfolio more? You could always try and do bits for your art portfolio whilst doing a masters or even right now but that may be hard. Have you had a look for any internships/work experience in that industry as well as graduate entry jobs from a degree in Computer Science? Try and see if you can go to an introduction/open day sort of event at a company you're interested in and see what they value - you obviously don't want to be doing a masters if you don't need to!

Also, I would suggest speaking to a careers advisor or tutor at uni if possible.
yeah I deffo wanna talk to a career advisor as well but I also wanted to do a masters with hopes to make a few friends since I dont have any and I dont want to leave uni without any because its hard to meet ppl outside of uni
coco:)
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Zee00)
yeah I deffo wanna talk to a career advisor as well but I also wanted to do a masters with hopes to make a few friends since I dont have any and I dont want to leave uni without any because its hard to meet ppl outside of uni
I personally don't think wanting to make friends is a justifiable reason to pay for a possibly unnecessary masters.

There are many other ways to make friends - through societies, events etc. Have you really not interacted with anyone over those 3 years? Not even in groups projects? Right now I suggest focusing on what you want to do with your career, you will eventually make new friends be it at work or somewhere else.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads