Can jobs be flexible to uni schedules?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

I’m in my first year of uni and looking to get a job. There are a couple part time ones that look good at large corporations (e.g., Tesco, Iceland etc) but I was wondering if they are flexible to uni schedules?

I had a job previously at a tescos back home and loved it, but am unsure if it would be possible whilst at uni? Would it be possible to have one in term time that would be able to not work/transfer one closer to home (I live 3 hours away) during Easter/summer/Christmas ? Or is that unlikely?

If possible, any job recommendation?
Just any experience you may have of your uni employment would be brill, thanks!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Potentially but there is no guarantee. My current job was able to allow me to work around my timetabled hours but it is an admin job which is working from home so more scope to work flexibly. For service roles they often need certain levels of staff during particular times and so they can be less flexible for students if those times overlap with your lecture times. You're probably best off looking for roles that advertise hours that specifically are suitable for you, and then see if you can pick up overtime during the holiday periods.
Cancelled Alice
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Zero hours contract jobs might be better suited to you.
You would have to talk to the hiring manager about their expectations though to make sure you were both on the same page. You might have a legal right to turn down a shift, that doesn’t mean it’ll go down well though.
nom06
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I’m in my first year of uni and looking to get a job. There are a couple part time ones that look good at large corporations (e.g., Tesco, Iceland etc) but I was wondering if they are flexible to uni schedules?

I had a job previously at a tescos back home and loved it, but am unsure if it would be possible whilst at uni? Would it be possible to have one in term time that would be able to not work/transfer one closer to home (I live 3 hours away) during Easter/summer/Christmas ? Or is that unlikely?

I'm not sure about supermarkets, but I know a lot of big fast food chains are good for students

McDonald's are super good at working around education, since most of the employees are at school, college or uni. I work there atm and I'm at college and the schedule is very flexible, you can change your availability whenever you need in accordance to uni schedule changes and you can also change the number hours you wish to work if you find you can't keep up with uni work due to the job. Also the pay is good for a student, they pay the national living wage for all employees over 18
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It's possible... some employers are certainly sympathetic ... but at the end of the day they care about their business needs more than your student ones, A manger with the options of 2 workers, one who comes with availability problems, and one that doesn't... that can be an easy choice to make at interviews
coco:)
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Honestly, tutoring is really great for me - only a few hours a week, pay is pretty good depending on what you can offer and you can cancel a lesson if you have exams/other commitments coming up. However, you have to be committed to actually teaching and helping them improve - this may mean you have to plan lessons and provide homework/extra resources. Instead you good join an online tutoring company for university students. I think there's a few that provide you with all the resources, you only have to do a minimum of 1 hour a week and the times are pretty flexible.

Hope you find something!
Last edited by coco:); 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by nom06)
I'm not sure about supermarkets, but I know a lot of big fast food chains are good for students

McDonald's are super good at working around education, since most of the employees are at school, college or uni. I work there atm and I'm at college and the schedule is very flexible, you can change your availability whenever you need in accordance to uni schedule changes and you can also change the number hours you wish to work if you find you can't keep up with uni work due to the job. Also the pay is good for a student, they pay the national living wage for all employees over 18
Oh that’s great, thank you for telling me!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
It's possible... some employers are certainly sympathetic ... but at the end of the day they care about their business needs more than your student ones, A manger with the options of 2 workers, one who comes with availability problems, and one that doesn't... that can be an easy choice to make at interviews
Thank you for saying, suppose I’ll just have to look at the companies and managers
Anonymous #1
(Original post by coco:))
Honestly, tutoring is really great for me - only a few hours a week, pay is pretty good depending on what you can offer and you can cancel a lesson if you have exams/other commitments coming up. However, you have to be committed to actually teaching and helping them improve - this may mean you have to plan lessons and provide homework/extra resources. Instead you good join an online tutoring company for university students. I think there's a few that provide you with all the resources, you only have to do a minimum of 1 hour a week and the times are pretty flexible.

Hope you find something!
Thank you! I didn’t consider tutoring but that seems like a consideration
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

Hi,
I had a part time job in my first year of university where I would only work a few hours a week on a Saturday and Sunday so it is definitely possibly. I would suggest just being honest about your availability in interviews and applications. The company I previously worked for did allow transfers for university students so they could work at the branch at home and the branch closer to their university. It just depends on the company. Also if you find you are working too much make sure you do prioritise university and don't put yourself behind to work instead.

Hope this helps.

Kasey - University of Law Student Ambassador
LittleBear04
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Some employees are very good at accommodating students others not so - it's important to be upfront about it straight away rather than waiting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.41%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.69%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (139)
26.13%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.27%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (256)
48.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.38%

Watched Threads