isobeln
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone!
Sorry I know you must be fed up of all this questions by now but I'm struggling to pick my last option for A Levels. I don't know what I want to do in the future, even for uni as I kind of love humanities + science. So I'm in my GCSE year and studying English Lit + Language, Maths, Additional maths, bio, chem, physics, Spanish, Latin and Textiles. I'm predicted straight 9s (apart from an 8 in English language) and I am in the unique position of acc loving all of my subjects (apart from textiles and english language).
I definitely want to do Maths + Further Maths + Chemistry but for my last slot I'm deciding between English Lit, Politics and Biology! I kinda want to keep an essay subject in to keep my options open for the future since idk what i want to do but I'm not sure if I should do English or Politics. If it helps for English we study Twelfth Night, A Streetcar Named Desire, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Mrs Dalloway and Christina Rossetti and Politics we do AQA so UK and US comparative politics.
Do you do either of these subjects? How do you find them?
Thank you so much!!
111mimi
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
chemistry, maths and english lit!
georgiac2
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by isobeln)
Hi everyone!
Sorry I know you must be fed up of all this questions by now but I'm struggling to pick my last option for A Levels. I don't know what I want to do in the future, even for uni as I kind of love humanities + science. So I'm in my GCSE year and studying English Lit + Language, Maths, Additional maths, bio, chem, physics, Spanish, Latin and Textiles. I'm predicted straight 9s (apart from an 8 in English language) and I am in the unique position of acc loving all of my subjects (apart from textiles and english language).
I definitely want to do Maths + Further Maths + Chemistry but for my last slot I'm deciding between English Lit, Politics and Biology! I kinda want to keep an essay subject in to keep my options open for the future since idk what i want to do but I'm not sure if I should do English or Politics. If it helps for English we study Twelfth Night, A Streetcar Named Desire, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Mrs Dalloway and Christina Rossetti and Politics we do AQA so UK and US comparative politics.
Do you do either of these subjects? How do you find them?
Thank you so much!!
Hey! I remember the stress of deciding what to do for reference I'm now in year 13 studying history, English and biology. Now i may be biased but I adore English Lit as for me it comes quite naturally and is one of my favourite subjects i study however there can be points where it is challenging but it is so worth it - Any questions feel free to ask
Last edited by georgiac2; 4 months ago
isobeln
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by georgiac2)
Hey! I remember the stress of deciding what to do for reference I'm now in year 13 studying history, English and biology. Now i may be biased but I adore English Lit as for me it comes quite naturally and is one of my favourite subjects i study however there can be points where it is challenging but it is so worth it - Any questions feel free to ask
Hi, thank you so much, that's so useful. English essays and everything come naturally to me too. How do you find the whole revision aspect coz it can get quite stressful sometimes because the books and everything are long and there's a lot to remember if that makes sense? I do enjoy reading and i mean i've read my gcse texts 3 times already which should help but yeah, does that make sense about revision lol? Like it's one of the hardest subjects to revise rn. also, this is random but what have you applied to do at uni out of interest?
georgiac2
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by isobeln)
Hi, thank you so much, that's so useful. English essays and everything come naturally to me too. How do you find the whole revision aspect coz it can get quite stressful sometimes because the books and everything are long and there's a lot to remember if that makes sense? I do enjoy reading and i mean i've read my gcse texts 3 times already which should help but yeah, does that make sense about revision lol? Like it's one of the hardest subjects to revise rn. also, this is random but what have you applied to do at uni out of interest?
Hi, while I do struggle with the revision aspect I think that it is mainly due to doing three content-heavy subjects and I also have a part-time job and travel for about 1hr30 to get into my sixth form. Balance really is everything and it is not easy to achieve now I watched all of the 'what to do in year 12/13' or the 'what I wished I had done videos' and took none of it on board - like most use your frees and I cannot stress this enough it helps with the balance aspect. I myself find it incredibly hard to be able to stick to a timetable for revision as my head is all over the place however A-Levels require organisation but that isn't the only thing your balancing a lot externally e.g. becoming an adult, maybe learning to drive and then deciding what to do in the future. Not to scare you but I used to think I was very academic and A-Levels have worn me down to the bone and I am struggling considering I still have months left but it is manageable if you have balance - I go through phases where I love my subjects and periods of hatred but it all works out ok I'm on track to achieve BBB which may not seem like great grades but in my year 12 mocks I got UUE and you come to realise getting an A or even an A* is so hard and it's ok.

Revision - Now make your revision materials as you go along, now my methods of revising changed when i got to A-Levels and you may find this too and that's ok. What I did and still do is test out different methods on my end of module tests in biology and this has been a great help while they are important I found using a different method every time has actually helped me a lot. There is so much content while the step from GCSE to A-Level is big the one between yr 12 and 13 is way bigger but the content is manageable - I used Year 12 to have a social life while still keeping up relatively good grades the odd one dropped here or there but it wasn't too major in the end.

Uni - As I have said I am burnt out and trying to decide what to do next as I have no idea - I played around with the idea of doing law for ages but come to realise that iI don't think going into 3 more years of stress would be good for me mentally. - I also looked into English Lit and my teachers said that I would be more than capable but during my whole A-Level process and the last two tears even with Covid I've come to realise there is more out in the world than going to uni and I am thinking of maybe taking a year out and travelling around the USA and interning at a few places and seeing where that takes me - I know that I want to hopefully end up in the film industry but who knows at this point, that being said I applied to Uni for an acting (BA) as this is a creative degree and I am a creative person and it's in the industry I want to be in yet it is an uncertain degree hence me toying around with the idea of taking a year out and then reevaluating.

Any more questions please ask
Last edited by georgiac2; 4 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
How to Choose Sixth Form Subjects - lots of info and advice - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
23.08%
The paper was reasonable (61)
46.92%
Not feeling great about that exam... (26)
20%
It was TERRIBLE (13)
10%

Watched Threads