Have you ever considered a career in the Police Service? 🚔

Watch
Poll: Have you ever considered a career in the Police Service?
Yes (13)
46.43%
No (15)
53.57%
P2P - Post-Grad
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Whether it was when you were younger, or if you are currently considering policing as an option, we want to know! 😄

What interests you about policing? Or why isn't it the career for you?
Last edited by P2P - Post-Grad; 1 week ago
Advertisement
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
No, too dangerous for me.

My 14 year old son wants to be a policeman though.
P2P - Post-Grad
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
No, too dangerous for me.

My 14 year old son wants to be a policeman though.
Hi PinkMobilePhone,

Thanks for the response!

Why do you see working in the service as dangerous? And what makes your son want to join?

Thomas
Advertisement
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by P2P - Post-Grad)
Hi PinkMobilePhone,

Thanks for the response!

Why do you see working in the service as dangerous? And what makes your son want to join?

Thomas
https://news.sky.com/story/how-dange...ficer-11786665

My son just can't think of anything else. It's not so much that he loves the idea of being a copper, it's just one option he doesn't dislike, whereas everything else suggested to him he seems to dislike.
navkan
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Never thought about being a policeman, especially due to the stigma it receives around my area.
Advertisement
Paktriot
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Yes. I wanted to wear those uniforms.
P2P - Post-Grad
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
https://news.sky.com/story/how-dange...ficer-11786665

My son just can't think of anything else. It's not so much that he loves the idea of being a copper, it's just one option he doesn't dislike, whereas everything else suggested to him he seems to dislike.
It's an interesting article. There are sides to policing that of course can be dangerous, though there is so much more to policing than working on the streets and detecting crime scenes. Police staff and management roles are just as important to the running of the service and each of the forces across the country, and there are so many pathways to choose from.

It's good to hear that your son likes the sound of policing!

Thomas
Advertisement
P2P - Post-Grad
Rep:
(Original post by navkan)
Never thought about being a policeman, especially due to the stigma it receives around my area.
Hi navkan,

What kind of image does policing have for you? We understand everyone has different perspectives on the Police Service and it's significance to the public.

We work with and support recruits who want to make a difference to how policing is portrayed, especially from the way it was seen when they were growing up in their own areas.

Thomas
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It's an interesting article. There are sides to policing that of course can be dangerous, though there is so much more to policing than working on the streets and detecting crime scenes. Police staff and management roles are just as important to the running of the service and each of the forces across the country, and there are so many pathways to choose from.

It's good to hear that your son likes the sound of policing!

Thomas
Yeah well he's got his heart set on doing the Level 3 Extended BTEC in public services, and then going on to uni to do the BA in Professional Policing.~

He won't be persuaded otherwise, so I'm supporting his wish. At least he's not wanting to join the army.
Advertisement
Alyssa Drysdale
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I went through a great deal of my younger life desperate to be a police officer.

I wanted to be in the Mounted Branch due to my love for horses, but then I wanted to be a dog handler, and then just a regular constable.

It was not until I was 18 that I decided to become a journalist instead. However, I have always said that my back-up job will be the police. I like to think I am fit and somewhat academic enough to get in, but never really got around to doing it as of yet.
ReviseSleeping
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn't work as a Police Officer, no. I don't think it is the right thing for me.

Maybe as Police Staff in Accountancy or something to that effect, as that is the career path I am on. My dad has actually worked for the same police force for over 20 years (police staff) and enjoys his job. Guess it just suits some people.
Advertisement
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Not beyond the occasional day dream, nah, I broadly respect and see the need for Police but I'm not much for teamwork. I'd only be interested in investigating the things I felt important and it probably can't work like that. I'd need to stop committing petty crimes also, or it would look silly.
P2P - Post-Grad
Rep:
(Original post by Alyssa Drysdale)
I went through a great deal of my younger life desperate to be a police officer.

I wanted to be in the Mounted Branch due to my love for horses, but then I wanted to be a dog handler, and then just a regular constable.

It was not until I was 18 that I decided to become a journalist instead. However, I have always said that my back-up job will be the police. I like to think I am fit and somewhat academic enough to get in, but never really got around to doing it as of yet.
Hi Alyssa Drysdale,

Thanks for sharing! We love that you had such a broad interest in the Police Service

We know people who have moved from media backgrounds into policing through police staff roles, and then transitioned once a part of the service to become officers. It's not an uncommon pathway!

Any thoughts as to what kind of role you'd consider?

Charlie
Advertisement
Alyssa Drysdale
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi Alyssa Drysdale,

Thanks for sharing! We love that you had such a broad interest in the Police Service

We know people who have moved from media backgrounds into policing through police staff roles, and then transitioned once a part of the service to become officers. It's not an uncommon pathway!

Any thoughts as to what kind of role you'd consider?

Charlie
Thanks for the reply.

I think I would really like to do some communication/PR roles within the police. It would fit my qualifications as well as putting my foot into the door of the Police.

No such luck at the minute regarding positions of the sort near me here in Glasgow, but I am still currently searching.
P2P - Post-Grad
Rep:
(Original post by ReviseSleeping)
I wouldn't work as a Police Officer, no. I don't think it is the right thing for me.

Maybe as Police Staff in Accountancy or something to that effect, as that is the career path I am on. My dad has actually worked for the same police force for over 20 years (police staff) and enjoys his job. Guess it just suits some people.
Hi ReviseSleeping,

Thanks for sharing that!

Police staff roles are just as significant as officers, and there are so many sides to the work they do. We have just posted a discussion thread in the Public Service Forum about them - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7153231

We support police staff recruits through our work with forces and on an individual basis. There are so many ways into policing!

Great to hear your dad enjoys his work! It's a fulfilling career

Thomas
P2P - Post-Grad
Rep:
(Original post by Alyssa Drysdale)
Thanks for the reply.

I think I would really like to do some communication/PR roles within the police. It would fit my qualifications as well as putting my foot into the door of the Police.

No such luck at the minute regarding positions of the sort near me here in Glasgow, but I am still currently searching.
That's great to hear!

New roles open up regularly and I'd recommend taking a look at All Police Jobs. It's a website that posts many of the most recent available roles across the UK in policing for staff and officers.

We'd love to help you if there are any questions you have about how to get started with applications etc!

Charlie
Lucifer323
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi navkan,

What kind of image does policing have for you? We understand everyone has different perspectives on the Police Service and it's significance to the public.

We work with and support recruits who want to make a difference to how policing is portrayed, especially from the way it was seen when they were growing up in their own areas.

Thomas
They don't seem to be very bright, in my view.
That's for a good number of police officers.
Advertisement
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lucifer323)
They don't seem to be very bright, in my view.
That's for a good number of police officers.
Aha, I'm very interested to see if P2P - Post-Grad responds!

In my view it's very varied, but I've only had good experiences, 999 operators are absolute icons, the lady chatted with me to calm me down during a cardiac episode, and nothing calmed me down more than her telling me people my age don't usually just drop dead. Thanks Barbara, duly noted.
ROTL94 2
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
Aha, I'm very interested to see if P2P - Post-Grad responds!

In my view it's very varied, but I've only had good experiences, 999 operators are absolute icons, the lady chatted with me to calm me down during a cardiac episode, and nothing calmed me down more than her telling me people my age don't usually just drop dead. Thanks Barbara, duly noted.
That's almost as bad as the time the 999 operator told me to 'calm down' while I could do nothing else but watch as my family home burned down. Calm down? Calm down? Do one, pal.
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ROTL94 2)
That's almost as bad as the time the 999 operator told me to 'calm down' while I could do nothing else but watch as my family home burned down. Calm down? Calm down? Do one, pal.
Don't you know you should have just cracked open a cold one and put your feet up? It's not like your home burning down isn't a normal, daily, non-life shattering event.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (36)
21.95%
Note taking apps (5)
3.05%
Flashcards (29)
17.68%
Revision guides (5)
3.05%
Past papers (83)
50.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.66%

Watched Threads