Can I get into university with 2 A-Levels and a BTEC?

Watch this thread
Allexx_2306
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Is this site still active? Either way I'll ask: I sat an Applied Science BTEC in college, didn't like it, got three passes. So I went back to college, currently doing only 2 A-Levels. Do I still have a chance with my previous BTEC from the last two years and the A-Levels I will get, or not?

Should note that my career choice has changed, I'm no longer interested in science. I'm currently doing A-Level English Language+Literature and A-Level Photography, hoping to get into an English Lit course in University.
Last edited by Allexx_2306; 4 months ago
Yappie Feet
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
What BTEC was it? If it was Level 3 BTEC then it's equivalent to an A-level and so you'd have 3 A-levels in total.
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Yappie Feet)
What BTEC was it? If it was Level 3 BTEC then it's equivalent to an A-level and so you'd have 3 A-levels in total.
Not 3 A-Levels, 3 Level 3 qualifications, they are different

There's a possibility but the fact that they weren't all in the same window may be against you.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Allexx_2306)
Is this site still active? Either way I'll ask: I sat an Applied Science BTEC in college, didn't like it, got three passes. So I went back to college, currently doing only 2 A-Levels. Do I still have a chance with my previous BTEC from the last two years and the A-Levels I will get, or not?

Should note that my career choice has changed, I'm no longer interested in science. I'm currently doing A-Level English Language+Literature and A-Level Photography, hoping to get into an English Lit course in University.
You'll need to contact the unis directly as you took the qualifications over more than one sitting. In theory, many courses would accept this combination so long as the BTEC was the equivalent of at least 1 AL.

For reference:

New RQF BTEC Nationals (Pearson BTEC Level 3)
  • National Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level
  • National Extended Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level
  • National Foundation Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.5 x A levels
  • National Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels
  • National Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels
Allexx_2306
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
You'll need to contact the unis directly as you took the qualifications over more than one sitting. In theory, many courses would accept this combination so long as the BTEC was the equivalent of at least 1 AL.

For reference:

New RQF BTEC Nationals (Pearson BTEC Level 3)
  • National Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level
  • National Extended Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level
  • National Foundation Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.5 x A levels
  • National Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels
  • National Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels
So if I'm understanding, the NED is equivalent to 3 A-Levels? Because that's what I sat, and I got 3 Ps. So if I'm understanding right, that's three A-Levels at Pass level?
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Allexx_2306)
So if I'm understanding, the NED is equivalent to 3 A-Levels? Because that's what I sat, and I got 3 Ps. So if I'm understanding right, that's three A-Levels at Pass level?
Yes, the NED is the equivalent to 3 AL’s. They’re not really AL passes as such though, the grading system for BTECs is its own thing. As above, contact some potential choices and they’ll be able to let you know if your combo is okay to be considered.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Just be aware that for many subjects - especially STEM - you will need BTEC NED plus an A level, especially for top Unis. Check carefully on the course website for each Uni and if it isnt clear, email the Uni and ask, before you apply.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
The problem is a pass is a very low grade and classed as a grade E at A level. This would leave you with 2 grades at level hopefully As and an E and many top universities wont accept you with that. You need to get advice from the universities that you are interested in going to. You might be better looking at a university that accepts UCAS points which wont be a top university. Universities base their offers on your BEST 3 grades which are likely to be your 2 A levels and one pass fRom your BTEC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads