lillyth0mas
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm looking to do an EPQ on a history topic but I can't narrow down my ideas into potential questions. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for questions on the topics of Ancient Greece/mythology or key female figures from history (I was thinking of Catherine the great maybe something to do with the influences of the enlightenment).
hamlethoratio
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lillyth0mas)
I'm looking to do an EPQ on a history topic but I can't narrow down my ideas into potential questions. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for questions on the topics of Ancient Greece/mythology or key female figures from history (I was thinking of Catherine the great maybe something to do with the influences of the enlightenment).
The great thing about the EPQ is that you can really be free with it, first I would narrow it down to the topic you want to focus on - would you like to do Catherine the Great or Ancient Greece/mythology more? You could even try and combine the idea of female figures from history with the mythology.

Something like 'To what extent has female stereotyping throughout history been based upon notions of Ancient Greek mythology?' or 'To what extent is female identity embraced in Ancient Greek mythology?'

I would say the Ancient Greek mythology route is more like Classics however so if you wanted to do history specifically maybe this would be a problem? I'm in Y13 btw and got an A* on my History EPQ (I looked at Queen Mary I for mine) so if you want any help in regards to approaching a History EPQ, do just ask!!
lillyth0mas
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by hamlethoratio)
The great thing about the EPQ is that you can really be free with it, first I would narrow it down to the topic you want to focus on - would you like to do Catherine the Great or Ancient Greece/mythology more? You could even try and combine the idea of female figures from history with the mythology.

Something like 'To what extent has female stereotyping throughout history been based upon notions of Ancient Greek mythology?' or 'To what extent is female identity embraced in Ancient Greek mythology?'

I would say the Ancient Greek mythology route is more like Classics however so if you wanted to do history specifically maybe this would be a problem? I'm in Y13 btw and got an A* on my History EPQ (I looked at Queen Mary I for mine) so if you want any help in regards to approaching a History EPQ, do just ask!!
Hi thank you so much!! I really like the idea of the female identity in greek mythology, for this do you think separating it into topics of goddesses, normal women (can’t think of a better term atm) and maybe priestesses or another faction would be ok? I am not sure how to approach the actual layout of my EPQ can i ask how you did yours?
hamlethoratio
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lillyth0mas)
Hi thank you so much!! I really like the idea of the female identity in greek mythology, for this do you think separating it into topics of goddesses, normal women (can’t think of a better term atm) and maybe priestesses or another faction would be ok? I am not sure how to approach the actual layout of my EPQ can i ask how you did yours?
You’re welcome! And I think that will be a really interesting topic. Btw I have a book recommendation for that topic actually, it’s ‘Pandora’s Jar: Women in Greek Myths’ by Natalie Haynes’ if you haven’t read it already. I separated mine into chapters exploring Mary I and they were: trauma, cruelty and villainhood, success and popularity, and legacy. Don’t feel like you have to stick to 3 ideas as I know most essays are like that and just split it how you feel is best (and if that is those 3 then go for it!) instead of normal women maybe you could say mortal women or something? It’s difficult to word definitely.

I put the project proposal forms at the start of the project, then did my abstract (which basically was an intro that just stated my line of argument in the essay), then an introduction (this didn’t state my argument but gave background contextual info that wasn’t part of my argument but important to know to understand the essay), then did my chapters, a conclusion, an evaluation, a bibliography, and then a research review at the very end.

Let me know if you want me to explain any bits in more depth and good luck with your EPQ!
lillyth0mas
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
You’re welcome! And I think that will be a really interesting topic. Btw I have a book recommendation for that topic actually, it’s ‘Pandora’s Jar: Women in Greek Myths’ by Natalie Haynes’ if you haven’t read it already. I separated mine into chapters exploring Mary I and they were: trauma, cruelty and villainhood, success and popularity, and legacy. Don’t feel like you have to stick to 3 ideas as I know most essays are like that and just split it how you feel is best (and if that is those 3 then go for it!) instead of normal women maybe you could say mortal women or something? It’s difficult to word definitely.

I put the project proposal forms at the start of the project, then did my abstract (which basically was an intro that just stated my line of argument in the essay), then an introduction (this didn’t state my argument but gave background contextual info that wasn’t part of my argument but important to know to understand the essay), then did my chapters, a conclusion, an evaluation, a bibliography, and then a research review at the very end.

Let me know if you want me to explain any bits in more depth and good luck with your EPQ!

Again thank you very much! These are very helpful tips and I’ll look into various chapter ideas i could explore.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed