The Student Room Group

Most of the stages of respiration take place in the mitochondria...

Most of the stages of respiration take place in the mitochondria rather than rest of cell. Idk why is this advantageous?
Original post by zuzannasendor18
Most of the stages of respiration take place in the mitochondria rather than rest of cell. Idk why is this advantageous?

Think of two arbitrary cell types: one a resting interstitial cell that doesn't do very much; the other a muscle cell. Can you think of an advantage of locating respiration, the fount of energy production for the cell, in a separate organelle?

Hint: think about mitosis
Original post by Reality Check
Think of two arbitrary cell types: one a resting interstitial cell that doesn't do very much; the other a muscle cell. Can you think of an advantage of locating respiration, the fount of energy production for the cell, in a separate organelle?

Hint: think about mitosis

It is where the energy (ATP) is produced in the cell
so it is therefore advantegeous?
(edited 2 years ago)
It is where the energy (ATP) is produced in the cell
so it is therefore advantegeous?

No. What if I tell you that mitochondria are able to replicate independently of the cell?
No. What if I tell you that mitochondria are able to replicate independently of the cell?

Something to do with protein synthesis or am i on wrong track
Something to do with protein synthesis or am i on wrong track

No, not really - but you've come up with some good suggestions. :smile:

It's to do with energy requirements of the cell - this is why I gave you the examples of a quiescent interstitial cell and an energy-hungry muscle cell. Due to the fact that mitochondria can multiply independently of the cell results in a cell being able to increase its ability to produce energy without having to itself replicate via mitosis. So, for an active muscle cell which requires lots of ATP, the cell can massively increase the number of mitochondria present and still remain a single cell.
No, not really - but you've come up with some good suggestions. :smile:

It's to do with energy requirements of the cell - this is why I gave you the examples of a quiescent interstitial cell and an energy-hungry muscle cell. Due to the fact that mitochondria can multiply independently of the cell results in a cell being able to increase its ability to produce energy without having to itself replicate via mitosis. So, for an active muscle cell which requires lots of ATP, the cell can massively increase the number of mitochondria present and still remain a single cell.

tysm :smile::smile:
tysm :smile::smile:

No problem :smile: I'm sure there are lots more, and better examples, but this is the one that immediately came to mind.
Reply 8
It also helps to separate anaerobic and aerobic respiration within a cell :smile: but that's not very relevant to the question haha
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending