Fluid on the lungs and legs

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My grandad was admitted to hospital today with fluid on the lungs and his legs swollen with fluid too.

My mum and gran have spoke to him on the phone and say he seems cheerful but they can’t remember anything that the doctors have said (or he can’t idk). He’s been given a ‘medication which will act very quickly’ and should be getting home tomorrow

He has severe athsma. I’m a student nurse and getting myself worried. That doesn’t sound like pulmonary edema does it - getting home tomorrow ?
Allyson2020
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My grandad was admitted to hospital today with fluid on the lungs and his legs swollen with fluid too.

My mum and gran have spoke to him on the phone and say he seems cheerful but they can’t remember anything that the doctors have said (or he can’t idk). He’s been given a ‘medication which will act very quickly’ and should be getting home tomorrow

He has severe athsma. I’m a student nurse and getting myself worried. That doesn’t sound like pulmonary edema does it - getting home tomorrow ?
Hi
He is in the best place to get treated and with the treatment from the staff he'll be fine and I doubt if he would get out tomorrow but it will really depends on what doctors think when they do there morning ward rounds.

Don't get yourself worried ok although it's natural for this considering he's close relative to you and you being a student nurse ( which year are you in ). Makes things even worse.
Hope he gets better soon and get home and start recovering more there.

I'm a senior charge nurse in ICU & a recent qualified midwife.

How do you remove fluid from the lungs.......
To remove the excess fluid and find out what's causing it, doctors use a procedure called thoracentesis. When doing a thoracentesis, a doctor uses imaging guidance to put a needle through your chest wall and into the pleural space. Depending on the severity of your condition, it can be a short, outpatient procedure.

If a blood clot travels from the blood vessels in your legs to your lungs, you can develop pulmonary edema. Exposure to certain toxins. Inhaling toxins or breathing in some of your stomach contents when you vomit (aspiration) causes intense irritation of the small airways and alveoli, resulting in fluid buildup

Is edema in the legs life threatening........

Most of the time, the edema is not a serious illness, but it may be a sign for one. For an example: Venous insufficiency can cause edema in the feet and ankles, because the veins are having trouble transporting enough blood all the way to the feet and back to the heart
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Hi
He is in the best place to get treated and with the treatment from the staff he'll be fine and I doubt if he would get out tomorrow but it will really depends on what doctors think when they do there morning ward rounds.

Don't get yourself worried ok although it's natural for this considering he's close relative to you and you being a student nurse ( which year are you in ). Makes things even worse.
Hope he gets better soon and get home and start recovering more there.

I'm a senior charge nurse in ICU & a recent qualified midwife.

How do you remove fluid from the lungs.......
To remove the excess fluid and find out what's causing it, doctors use a procedure called thoracentesis. When doing a thoracentesis, a doctor uses imaging guidance to put a needle through your chest wall and into the pleural space. Depending on the severity of your condition, it can be a short, outpatient procedure.

If a blood clot travels from the blood vessels in your legs to your lungs, you can develop pulmonary edema. Exposure to certain toxins. Inhaling toxins or breathing in some of your stomach contents when you vomit (aspiration) causes intense irritation of the small airways and alveoli, resulting in fluid buildup

Is edema in the legs life threatening........

Most of the time, the edema is not a serious illness, but it may be a sign for one. For an example: Venous insufficiency can cause edema in the feet and ankles, because the veins are having trouble transporting enough blood all the way to the feet and back to the heart
Please stop posting random copied and pasted information - it is very difficult to read, doesn't answer OP's question and is more than likely not relevant to OP's grandad's situation and will make them panic unnecessarily. If someone posted something about sticking needles into chest walls (which OP's relative is clearly not getting as they have said he is getting medication), it would scare the **** out of me and it is really not your place to be saying that that is something he might need when you don't know anything about his past medical history...
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

OP, I can imagine how stressful this might be for you :hugs: Would it be possible for you to call the ward yourself to ask for an update? It might help you understand what's going on and put your mind at ease. I hope you grandad is feeling better and can get out of hospital really soon.
Last edited by black tea; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%