Crisps&chips
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Main question : Is a Diploma in English or Art and Humanities or Education worth it to get accepted into teaching? Or should I get a Postgraduate degree is that's even acceptable with my accounting degree?

Okay, I graduated with a BA in Accounting and I want to get into teaching abroad, specifically English,Arts and maybe Maths. I had worked like 4 years in teaching before Uni and did training, one training certification.( Gonna study for a celta later)

Thought getting a diploma should be enough because I can't put up with 4 years So I at least need a relevant 2 year diploma online and I have no idea where to find one honestly besides open university lol. If you have any other suggestions then please tell me,these "level" qualifications confuse me.
(And yes it's actually worth it...worth it for my mental health can't put up with this accounting stuff anymore)

*Sorry for the bad post my brain is fried
Last edited by Crisps&chips; 1 week ago
meaghan sharp
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
Teaching abroad is a whole different kettle of fish depending on which country you want to teach in. What companies/ countries are you looking at working with?

It sounds to me like you have relevant experience and good education. My first step beyond what you have already researched would be to talk to some agencies to see what kind of role they may be able to offer you with your current certificates.

During my teacher training (to teach in the UK) we had a guy on our course who had been teaching abroad for years without a PGCE, I can't remember clearly but I don't think that he had an undergraduate qualification while teaching abroad.

Good luck
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
What age do you want to teach?

You should be okay for primary as long as you have GCSEs in English Language, Mathematics, AND Science.

For secondary, the subject you want to teach should be at least 50% of your degree. Though you may be able to do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course to teach the subject you want.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Crisps&chips)
Main question : Is a Diploma in English or Art and Humanities or Education worth it to get accepted into teaching? Or should I get a Postgraduate degree is that's even acceptable with my accounting degree?

Okay, I graduated with a BA in Accounting and I want to get into teaching abroad, specifically English,Arts and maybe Maths. I had worked like 4 years in teaching before Uni and did training, one training certification.( Gonna study for a celta later)

Thought getting a diploma should be enough because I can't put up with 4 years So I at least need a relevant 2 year diploma online and I have no idea where to find one honestly besides open university lol. If you have any other suggestions then please tell me,these "level" qualifications confuse me.
(And yes it's actually worth it...worth it for my mental health can't put up with this accounting stuff anymore)

*Sorry for the bad post my brain is fried
Hello Crisps&chips
Your experience of teaching is useful for teaching overseas but many places may be looking for formal qualifications and specify a PGCE. While this is not mandatory, it is frequently desirable.
You may find the Get Into Teaching website useful for looking at the different routes to train as a teacher. You can get yourself an adviser by clicking here.

Best wishes
Suzanne
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads