How hard is it to fail a uni essay

Watch
Azuree
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm going to say this with the utmost honesty, the essay I submitted was definitely not stellar.
There are definitely referencing errors in my bibliography, my points aren't always detailed enough and there are 1 or two errors in grammar/typing I missed when proofreading. My lecturer said not to be too concerned because its 1500 word essay in first year but I'm still worried, how easy is it to get a 40 for an essay? I'm fully intending to learn from this process, I know a lot more about my shortcomings in writing so I'll use my feedback well but...
any advice??
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Most of the errors you list are relatively minor. You would only fail if you didn't answer the question properly or plagiarised.
Last edited by ageshallnot; 1 week ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Azuree)
I'm going to say this with the utmost honesty, the essay I submitted was definitely not stellar.
There are definitely referencing errors in my bibliography, my points aren't always detailed enough and there are 1 or two errors in grammar/typing I missed when proofreading. My lecturer said not to be too concerned because its 1500 word essay in first year but I'm still worried, how easy is it to get a 40 for an essay? I'm fully intending to learn from this process, I know a lot more about my shortcomings in writing so I'll use my feedback well but...
any advice??
From what ive seen to fail an assignment normally comes when the submission is out of the scope of the assignment brief (i.e. students answering questions they wish they were asked not the actual requirements…), or they ignored a marking rubric outlining submission expectations.

Generally if something is appropriate just of poor quality they will still pass just with a very low mark.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It's relatively hard to fail an essay unless as above you completely answered a different question. Usually marks for essays cluster in the second class range (2:2 or 2:1) with it being relatively hard to either fail or get a very high 1st).

That said the referencing issues may be a problem as it may raise concerns about plagiarism - and if you are investigated for and found to have plagiarised (even only technically) you could be given a score of zero for the assignment among other measures.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
I generally only failed about 10% per batch, and that was usually for not answering the question or not submitting
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Azuree)
any advice??
Hi! Azuree

I made these mistakes while I was in my first year. They are minor, so they shouldn't make you fail.
To fail is usually because the student hasn't answered the question and has gone off topic completely. Or they have missed the deadline and get capped at 40%.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
gjd800
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! Azuree

I made these mistakes while I was in my first year. They are minor, so they shouldn't make you fail.
To fail is usually because the student hasn't answered the question and has gone off topic completely. Or they have missed the deadline and get capped at 40%.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
40 usually isn't a fail, it is a narrow pass.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.41%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.69%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (139)
26.13%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.27%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (256)
48.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.38%

Watched Threads