Studying in cafes?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
With uni exams around the corner, I thought it might be a nice change of scene to study in a cafe for a change (also hopefully not as busy as the libraries haha), but I've never really done it before. Is it weird if I pull out my laptop in a cafe? I don't want the business owners to think I'm being cheeky for sitting in the same spot for 2-3 hours.. I would definitely buy a couple of things, so would that seem acceptable?
legit help
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
it is always wise to prepare well before writing a paper.
Queenbee1323
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah that is fine, I work at Greggs and I see people doing that. No one is bothered about it, don't overthink. Good luck with exams, currently doing mine now haha
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Perfectly normal to do that and most places will be ok with it, esp if buying a few top up drinks or whatever.
Cloudiii
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I study a lot in cafes with a friend when exams are coming up. No one has ever said anything and we do buy a couple drinks/ snack while we are there.
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
With uni exams around the corner, I thought it might be a nice change of scene to study in a cafe for a change (also hopefully not as busy as the libraries haha), but I've never really done it before. Is it weird if I pull out my laptop in a cafe? I don't want the business owners to think I'm being cheeky for sitting in the same spot for 2-3 hours.. I would definitely buy a couple of things, so would that seem acceptable?
Hey

That sounds lovely! I'm hoping to start doing the same soon and to be honest I don't think business owners will mind at all. A lot of people do it. If you're unsure you could always ask when being served if they mind you doing some work. I've done it a couple times in Waterstones cafe and I found that a really nice environment to work in. Hope you find somewhere that you enjoy, and good luck in your exams!

Danielle
Film and Television Studies
Last edited by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle; 2 weeks ago
legit help
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Queenbee1323)
Yeah that is fine, I work at Greggs and I see people doing that. No one is bothered about it, don't overthink. Good luck with exams, currently doing mine now haha
wishing you good luck in your exams , get composed and boldly handle it .
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Just study at home
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I love to work in cafes! I like to choose one that isn't a major chain so that the atmosphere is calmer and there are less people around. People go to cafe's for all sorts of reasons, people go to them to write their essays, they go to read, they go just to relax for a few hours without anyone else around. Whatever the reason, cafe's are used to people staying for long amounts of time and will have no problem with you using your computer. Most cafe's have free Wi-Fi these days, but just make sure the café you go to provides it if you are going to be working there on your computer. Cafe's often provide charging ports as well, and why do this if they do not expect their customers to stay for a while.

Best of luck revising for your exams!

- Rosie
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hia

Studying in cafes is usually a good change of scenery for me personally. I also get nervous about upsetting the workers/owners of cafes. I tend to scan the room and if there are other students working I feel more comfortable. If there arent however I usually ask one of the workers if it's alright to work there, you can also this opportunity to ask for the wifi password. This calms me down personally and means I can just focus on my work without the fear of upsetting anyone.

Hope this helps

Ben - Uop rep
legit help
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hia

Studying in cafes is usually a good change of scenery for me personally. I also get nervous about upsetting the workers/owners of cafes. I tend to scan the room and if there are other students working I feel more comfortable. If there arent however I usually ask one of the workers if it's alright to work there, you can also this opportunity to ask for the wifi password. This calms me down personally and means I can just focus on my work without the fear of upsetting anyone.

Hope this helps

Ben - Uop rep
Respect each other .Mutual respect is critical to the co-teaching relationship. You'll have to share ideas openly and do much of your work facing students together, so respecting each other is paramount. Findings reveal that mentor teachers and support staff understood their roles to be that of facilitating socialization of student teachers into the teaching profession, by assisting them to gain competence in the various areas of the school functioning, including lesson planning and presentation; classroom management and appropriate use.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hiya,

Studying in cafés is one of my favourite areas to study. It's totally common for people to do work in such environments for hours. As someone who's worked at cafés where students do this, I always find it really nice to see. Sometimes, though, I feel like I do it just because it feels good to be out and about rather than stuck in my dorm revising. Also gives me an excuse to workshop with my friends and meet up afterwards.

Hope this helps!
-Quinn
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
Studying in cafes in completely normal. Sometimes its good to get out and about and move study areas. It is all about finding where works best for you.
Best of luck with your exams!

Kasey - University of Law Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
6.97%
October 2021 (116)
47.54%
November 2021 (24)
9.84%
December 2021 (32)
13.11%
January 2021 (21)
8.61%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.66%