Been bleeding for 11 days since I started new pill

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi guys, I started a new mini pill after being on the combined and after just over half of my pill I started my period, which was fine I expected to get it at some point however I started it on the 1st and I am still on it now. It’s very light however it’s still there, it stopped for a day and started again. My friend told me you can get a long period in the beginning as your body is getting used too it but I’m a bit fed up of it now as I used to only have a 3-4 day period before the pill and on the combined pill it was nice as I could chose when I have it. Should I be concerned?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 days ago
Nothing to be concerned about, that's pretty common with the mini pill.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys, I started a new mini pill after being on the combined and after just over half of my pill I started my period, which was fine I expected to get it at some point however I started it on the 1st and I am still on it now. It’s very light however it’s still there, it stopped for a day and started again. My friend told me you can get a long period in the beginning as your body is getting used too it but I’m a bit fed up of it now as I used to only have a 3-4 day period before the pill and on the combined pill it was nice as I could chose when I have it. Should I be concerned?
Is it normal to bleed for a long time after starting birth control - yes it is.

Irregular bleeding is the most common side effect of birth control pills. It is especially common during the first three months as your body adjusts to the hormones in the medication.

Is it normal to bleed for 11 days or more on the pill.
How long does it last for vary from individual person.
Breakthrough bleeding related to most types of hormonal birth control usually stops within 3 to 6 months of starting it. Episodes of bleeding can last longer if you're taking a continuous birth control pill or if you often forget to take your pill.

Any concerns then maybe consult your GP about it and they will reassure you on thjngs.

A NHS registered midwife.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Tracey_W)

Irregular bleeding is the most common side effect of birth control pills. It is especially common during the first three months as your body adjusts to the hormones in the medication.

Breakthrough bleeding related to most types of hormonal birth control usually stops within 3 to 6 months of starting it. Episodes of bleeding can last longer if you're taking a continuous birth control pill or if you often forget to take your pill.

Any concerns then maybe consult your GP about it and they will reassure you on thjngs.

OP has said they are not on the pill or on any birth control
Anonymous #2
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by black tea)
Where did they say that? The original post is literally about being on the pill.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Hi guys, I started a new mini pill........... ( Is the mini pill a good contraceptive -
How effective is the mini pill for contraceptive - if taken correctly, the mini pill is at least 99 per cent effective at preventing pregnancy.)

Been bleeding for 11 days since I started new pill ( the title of thread ).....
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Where did they say that? The original post is literally about being on the pill.
Never mind, got confused with threads
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Is the mini pill a good contraceptive -
How effective is the mini pill for contraceptive, if it is taken correctly then the mini pill is at least 99 per cent effective at preventing pregnancy. Allowing for mistakes, it is 93 per cent effective.

Title of the thread was - about bleeding 11 days after starting new pill.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Never mind, got confused with threads
Think you owe apology.......
Anonymous #2
Report 2 days ago
Is the mini pill a good contraceptive -
How effective is the mini pill for contraceptive, if it is taken correctly then the mini pill is at least 99 per cent effective at preventing pregnancy. Allowing for mistakes, it is 93 per cent effective.

Title of the thread was - about bleeding 11 days after starting new pill.
Not sure what this post means. I was telling black tea that OP is on the pill.
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Think you owe apology.......
Sorry. I'm in hospital, my brain's not really functioning atm
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Okay that's fine

Hope you not too seriously ill ???
Hope you get better soon 😊
Yeah funny how people brains get messed up when in hospital.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Not sure what this post means. I was telling black tea that OP is on the pill.
Yeah I see that you were telling black tea this.

I'm reading the post the way I written my replies as not very good explanation on this. Think I missed out part on periods as they will come at some point as not uncommon of a late period. Like you said its common with mini pill.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hope your okay. Yes I am on the pill, no worries about the mix up
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Nothing to be concerned about, that's pretty common with the mini pill.

Thanks for your help guys, I was tempted to phone my doctor but didn’t know if it was maybe a waste of their time. My skins getting so spotty and dry on it aswell I’m really not liking it compared to the combined pill but I’m so scared about getting the coil etc.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Thanks for your help guys, I was tempted to phone my doctor but didn’t know if it was maybe a waste of their time. My skins getting so spotty and dry on it aswell I’m really not liking it compared to the combined pill but I’m so scared about getting the coil etc.
Hi hunni

You welcome for replies ok.

There are obviously side effects attached to all meditations but each of us are different in how the side effects affects us if we get any.
If you feel you getting side effects unassociated with the mini pill then I suggest you go and speak to your doctor about it rather than suffer them, as it's trial & error in getting the right pill that works best for you.

Alternatively there's the coil as you said but possibility it can move slightly which can unfortunately lead to unplanned pregnancy which you probably don't want.

So there's the other contrecptive that you can discuss with your GP and that's the implant which is same as still has a 99% preventive of pregnancy.

How was the combined pill with you when you was using this and why was you changed over to current one. If combined pill was working well for you and had no problems with it then perhaps ask if you can go back on this one or use alternative methods like the implant as no worrying about missing or taking pill each day for at least 3 years.

Consider talking all this over with your GP okay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (45)
12.36%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (7)
1.92%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (88)
24.18%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (33)
9.07%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (178)
48.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.57%

Watched Threads