Accidentally made an open application to Durham

Watch this thread
grace04935
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I made an open application to Durham as I was so bogged down with worrying about my Oxford application that I didn’t even think about the different Durham colleges. What should I do? There are a few colleges I really wouldn’t like to be allocated to is it too late for me to contact the University and express a college preference before I (hopefully) receive an offer?
Thank you
Georgeshe/her
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by grace04935)
I made an open application to Durham as I was so bogged down with worrying about my Oxford application that I didn’t even think about the different Durham colleges. What should I do? There are a few colleges I really wouldn’t like to be allocated to is it too late for me to contact the University and express a college preference before I (hopefully) receive an offer?
Thank you
Don't worry- you never end up with the college you put first anyway. I haven't met anyone who even got any of there top 3 colleges, so don't stress.
grace04935
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Georgeshe/her)
Don't worry- you never end up with the college you put first anyway. I haven't met anyone who even got any of there top 3 colleges, so don't stress.
Reallyyy? That’s crazy. Is there any chance of being randomly allocated to University college? I know it’s probably super popular but I like the look of that one a lot.
Georgeshe/her
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Reallyyy? That’s crazy. Is there any chance of being randomly allocated to University college? I know it’s probably super popular but I like the look of that one a lot.
people that get there are considered really lucky and never shut up about it lol.
it would probably be very unlikely, it seems pretty 50/50 people loving their college or hating it
existentialtears
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
As a person currently in University College, it's a great college but every place has its good and bad. None of my friends in other colleges have felt that they've missed out on something and I frankly think the social life is much better in other colleges, say Collingwood or Cuths. Whichever college you get allotted to, I'm sure you'll love it and find your people. After your first year, colleges don't matter because you end up interacting with people from your course and not accommodation since you don't live in dorms.
You can obviously email the University, I'm sure they'd be able to help you out, if not, don't worry, Durham is a great place where you end up trying to ignore casual classism and microaggressions.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by existentialtears)
As a person currently in University College, it's a great college but every place has its good and bad. None of my friends in other colleges have felt that they've missed out on something and I frankly think the social life is much better in other colleges, say Collingwood or Cuths. Whichever college you get allotted to, I'm sure you'll love it and find your people. After your first year, colleges don't matter because you end up interacting with people from your course and not accommodation since you don't live in dorms.
You can obviously email the University, I'm sure they'd be able to help you out, if not, don't worry, Durham is a great place where you end up trying to ignore casual classism and microaggressions.
Is JoBo a nice college?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I think like 90% of applicants put Castle as their first choice so the chance of being randomly allocated there, or even getting there if you DID put it as your first choice, are pretty low.
existentialtears
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is JoBo a nice college?
I've been to JoBo once to drop off a girl who had drunk a little too much but apart from the distance that I seemed to have had to walk from Paddy's at 3 in the morning, I think the college by itself is really nice. I've seen the common kitchen and that was really big and the rooms are cosy and I believe a lot of them have ensuites so that's nice too. The people I interacted with in my short time over there were lovely so I think it's a great college.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by existentialtears)
I've been to JoBo once to drop off a girl who had drunk a little too much but apart from the distance that I seemed to have had to walk from Paddy's at 3 in the morning, I think the college by itself is really nice. I've seen the common kitchen and that was really big and the rooms are cosy and I believe a lot of them have ensuites so that's nice too. The people I interacted with in my short time over there were lovely so I think it's a great college.
Thanks!!
michaelamatthew
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Georgeshe/her)
Not necessarily true, myself and most of my friends were allocated to our first choice.

OP I'd recommend emailing [email protected] and ask to update your preference to the college of your choice on your internal app - this worked for me last year, but just remember it is only a preference
2021HisPol
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thank you
This might help, it shows you how popular each college was year on year. I kinda used something like this to game the system into getting a place in one of the bailey colleges.

https://www.palatinate.org.uk/wp-con...s/image-57.png
Durham Students
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thank you
Hi grace04935

I might be a little late to the convo but if it helps, I filled an open application too on my UCAS but it doesn't affect you. This is because Durham sends out a preference form in February (which you must've gotten by now) that asks you to rank your colleges. You have until April to respond to it. I put South as my first choice and got it, so don't worry about not getting your first choice. Castle is definitely always oversubscribed so there's a 50-50 chance of you getting in.

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads