The Student Room Group

How important are the elat results?

I’ve applied to Cambridge for English. I just received my Elat score which is really low (36) but I’ve already had my interview. How much would the admissions test effect my application?
(edited 2 years ago)
I've also applied this year so I have no actual experience with this process before I start haha! To my understanding, the college you applied to have already seen this mark and they still decided that you were worthy enough to interview - which is super positive. The ELAT is such a small part of the application process, I have heard people with as low as 27 get into Cambridge last year and someone who scored 58 didn't get an offer. This just shows how little weighting the ELAT actually is (something which i have had to drill into my head after receiving my score as well) so don't let your score put you off or dampen your confidence! regardless of what happens, we've all done super well to get to where we are, but i wish you the best of luck for the big day :smile:
Original post by leahholland
I've also applied this year so I have no actual experience with this process before I start haha! To my understanding, the college you applied to have already seen this mark and they still decided that you were worthy enough to interview - which is super positive. The ELAT is such a small part of the application process, I have heard people with as low as 27 get into Cambridge last year and someone who scored 58 didn't get an offer. This just shows how little weighting the ELAT actually is (something which i have had to drill into my head after receiving my score as well) so don't let your score put you off or dampen your confidence! regardless of what happens, we've all done super well to get to where we are, but i wish you the best of luck for the big day :smile:

i got my elat results today, i got 27/60 :frown:

does anyone know how much the elat counts towards the final decision? i thought my interviews went really well too, so now im feeling quite confused
how do you know if the college has already seen this mark? :smile:
Original post by jas03
i got my elat results today, i got 27/60 :frown:

does anyone know how much the elat counts towards the final decision? i thought my interviews went really well too, so now im feeling quite confused
how do you know if the college has already seen this mark? :smile:

I have just seen a lot of people from last year say that the college has already seen your mark and this goes towards the weighting of whether they want to interview you, rather than towards giving you an offer, however, i could be completely wrong this is just what I've been told :smile:
I have just seen a lot of people from last year say that the college has already seen your mark and this goes towards the weighting of whether they want to interview you, rather than towards giving you an offer, however, i could be completely wrong this is just what I've been told :smile:

thank you for your reply :smile:
may i ask how you did in the elat? i just feel really demotivated and less hopeful for the 25th :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jas03
thank you for your reply :smile:
may i ask how you did in the elat? i just feel really demotivated and less hopeful for the 25th :frown:

I got 42! But it's definitely really good to have a look around and the ELAT threads from last year or even the Oxford ones from this year and see what other people got in the ELAT and also received offers. It completely changed my perspective on the meaning of the number and you have no reason to feel demotivated, especially if you think your interview went well and you provided written work which you were proud of!
I got 42! But it's definitely really good to have a look around and the ELAT threads from last year or even the Oxford ones from this year and see what other people got in the ELAT and also received offers. It completely changed my perspective on the meaning of the number and you have no reason to feel demotivated, especially if you think your interview went well and you provided written work which you were proud of!

wow thats amazing, well done! did you apply for cambs or ox? :smile:
yes i've had a look at some other forums and its really interesting to see the results. some scored very high but still were rejected? so strange. please could you link me to any active forums about the elat for this year? would really appreciate it!
thank you so much for your kind words, means a lot <3
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jas03
wow thats amazing, well done! did you apply for cambs or ox? :smile:
yes i've had a look at some other forums and its really interesting to see the results. some scored very high but still were rejected? so strange. please could you link me to any active forums about the elat for this year? would really appreciate it!
thank you so much for your kind words, means a lot <3

No worries whatsoever! I just have spoken to someone who got an offer from Cambridge last year who got 26 and I want to calm as many people's nerves as possible! I applied to Cambs Sidney, so fingers crossed for the both of us :smile: <3
No worries whatsoever! I just have spoken to someone who got an offer from Cambridge last year who got 26 and I want to calm as many people's nerves as possible! I applied to Cambs Sidney, so fingers crossed for the both of us :smile: <3

oh wow really? that's interesting!
wow, good luck! thats great! yes fingers crossed for the both of us <3
how did your interview(s) go?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9

Thank you!
Original post by jas03
oh wow really? that's interesting!
wow, good luck! thats great! yes fingers crossed for the both of us <3
how did your interview(s) go?

Sorry for the late reply! I think my second interview went so much better than the first, however i actually really enjoyed the experience, wbu?
Sorry for the late reply! I think my second interview went so much better than the first, however i actually really enjoyed the experience, wbu?

no worries! aw that's great to hear :smile:
yeah i think both my interviews went really well and im super happy - i enjoyed my experience too!
Hi! I’m applying for English at Churchill -Cambridge and my Elat is in a week. I feel super nervous and i was wondering how did you prepare and write/structure your answer. I would be grateful for any advice :smile:

Quick Reply