The Student Room Group

help!! my gf thinks she can write good poetry

hi,
my gf thinks she can write good, very meaningful poetry... but can't...
How do I have the conversation with her that it is just not a viable thing for her to go into as a career?
I want to talk to my friends, but as we have the same friends I am worried it will get back to her.
I actually think a few times she's sent me her 'latest work' and its actually something she's found on the internet or Pinterest or something.
Surely that would mean she knows her own work isn't any good?
thanks for any advice, of course I don't want to hurt her feelings...
Don't say anything. Writers won't improve their craft unless they practice. You run the risk of just turning her off her passion and she'll resent you for that later.
Reply 2
Original post by 1582
Don't say anything. Writers won't improve their craft unless they practice. You run the risk of just turning her off her passion and she'll resent you for that later.

thanks for advice :smile:
If you tell her your relationship won’t stanza chance.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
hi,
my gf thinks she can write good, very meaningful poetry... but can't...
How do I have the conversation with her that it is just not a viable thing for her to go into as a career?
I want to talk to my friends, but as we have the same friends I am worried it will get back to her.
I actually think a few times she's sent me her 'latest work' and its actually something she's found on the internet or Pinterest or something.
Surely that would mean she knows her own work isn't any good?
thanks for any advice, of course I don't want to hurt her feelings...

I once gave honest feedback on a specific piece of writing (after I was explicitly asked for it) to a girl I was dating. Didn't go down well. That might well have been my-ex but I turned into a fight.
But on the other hand, if you have a sensitive way to convey what you think, it may benefit her. Although it should be focused on the particular work and not on what she wants to do as a career and her general ability- because that's not your place.
Reply 5
Original post by Son of the Sea
If you tell her your relationship won’t stanza chance.

but not being honest is killing me? i plan on being with her forever, do I keep this lie up for the rest of my life?
don't bother saying it, as practice will improve her writing skills, like myself, i write songs which is similar and i'm not that good at it but i do it to release stress and help my hurt and it's pretty addicting. love writing!! for her, if she keeps writing and writing poetry and she may not be good now, but she'll get better !!! just tell her how she could improve perhaps?

Quick Reply