mollymuir28
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi,
I have a few upcoming university interviews who i am advised will ask me about the national curriculum and the current issues within education. Can anyone give me some tips of what to include?
Thank you!
PrimaryITE
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
Things you could find out about so you are aware: the new Core Content Framework for ITT, the Early Careers Framework, remote teaching and synchronous and asynchronous learning, Covid mentoring scheme, wider issues around attendance and covid.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Hi mollymuir28,

That is a good question.

The key thing to remember is that they don't expect you know everything or have covered everything. It is to demonstrate that you have done your research and understand some basics about what's going within the education sector and can give examples of how these issues have had an impact.

Have a look at various recent articles and news (you can google most of this) and also look at the Primary sector in general. Your mainstream news outlets will have dedicated section for education as well, i.e. the guardian, independent, etc.

Also, if you haven't already, get a Teacher Training Adviser to help you prepare for your upcoming interviews. You can get more information from the link below:

https://adviser-getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

All the best with your interview.

Zee
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mollymuir28)
Hi,
I have a few upcoming university interviews who i am advised will ask me about the national curriculum and the current issues within education. Can anyone give me some tips of what to include?
Thank you!
Hi there,

The advice you have received is correct, it is highly likely you'll be asked questions on those topics. In regards to the national curriculum, this could be around how you will make sure to follow it within lessons or how you could make cross-curricular links - bringing art into science, or music into maths for example. The national curriculum for primary can be viewed here. I know it's a very long document and no one would expect you to know this off by heart, but it would be a good idea to understand which topics are statutory and what children might learn within them. You'll find there's a lot of in depth information about targets within literacy, maths and science but much less within the other curriculum subjects.

In regards to current issues within education, TES is a great resource for finding out the most up-to-date and current issues within education. This is constantly being updated with new articles so the day before or day of your interview you could find an article on there to show you are closely monitoring changes within education - up to the minute.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Mel - 3rd Year Primary Education and Teaching Studies Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads