Wheresthecake
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I feel like I may possibly be working in a toxic place but I don’t know what I can do to help myself while I’m there.

I’ve had students become aggressive, swear at me and my manager watch and do nothing or try to act helpful and not being helpful to me, or if you ask a question the response is almost always snide. A child once called me a tw*t and I had enough at that point and explained I’m human and it’s not on at all. And my manager walked in saying “ I can hear you both outside student x just go” I felt like I wasnt even a professional in thr room at that point

I asked today if I may be allowed any extra credit to print. We are given £10 for 6 months. I was told “uhhh you can’t have run out yet. Really are you sure??” I said “oh sorry i believe I had it since September and I wasn’t told how it works here and I’m a bit low” to which I was told “yeah you need to be making that last a lot longer than just September to now that needs to be at least till feb” so there I have been printing a fair bit not knowing at all.

It wasn’t really what was said. It was the way it was said like I’m a juvenile or just plain stupid? I honestly stood in a bit of disbelief. My last school told me clearly what the printing rules were on insset here I was just not told. So of course I just kept printing assuming I’d be allowed more. It was a genuine error and I actually have recently started to feel scared of my manager. I never know what I’m walking into. Initially they were great but slowly I’ve just seen something about them unveil.

I’ve contacted my unions over the lack of support. Am i doing this all wrong? Also before anyone thinks I don’t love teaching. I do and I really have warmed to these ones in so many ways so no I don’t hate teaching at all.
meaghan sharp
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
It sounds like they are being unclear with you about what their expectations are, in terms of printing. It does not sound like you reacted poorly to the student. I think reminding them that you are human and that their actions have consequences can be a good thing in the right circumstances.

I have found that using the/a teaching union very useful in the past, so I would encourage you to keep working with that avenue. Are you a classroom teacher or a TA? if so there should be laws and regulations that entitle you to a certain amount of support.

Are there any other members of staff that you can ask for advice, obviously you must feel comfortable and confident that they will be supportive?
Wheresthecake
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by meaghan sharp)
It sounds like they are being unclear with you about what their expectations are, in terms of printing. It does not sound like you reacted poorly to the student. I think reminding them that you are human and that their actions have consequences can be a good thing in the right circumstances.

I have found that using the/a teaching union very useful in the past, so I would encourage you to keep working with that avenue. Are you a classroom teacher or a TA? if so there should be laws and regulations that entitle you to a certain amount of support.

Are there any other members of staff that you can ask for advice, obviously you must feel comfortable and confident that they will be supportive?
I’m a teacher. I’ve contacted the union and waiting for a support caseworker. I have tried turning to others for support. Initially I was being helped but not so much now and it’s really frustrating because if I do try and offload how certain things are making me feel the response is either they’ll talk about their issues with that thing or it’s just “yeah” I said so many times there’s a lack of support and the response is “yeah I get that” it isn’t useful I’m exhausted I’m not getting the support I actually need
meaghan sharp
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
So what are the problems? As far as I can tell they are:

1) Unclear communication with expectations on funding/stationary
2) Potentially critical managers, though as you have written your account of the incident with the student it doesn't sound like they were reprimanding you.
3) You feel scared of my manager, why is this? How do you feel threatened by them?

What if any other problems do you feel arise at work? Would you consider looking for alternative jobs if this one clearly is not a good personality fit?
Wheresthecake
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by meaghan sharp)
So what are the problems? As far as I can tell they are:

1) Unclear communication with expectations on funding/stationary
2) Potentially critical managers, though as you have written your account of the incident with the student it doesn't sound like they were reprimanding you.
3) You feel scared of my manager, why is this? How do you feel threatened by them?

What if any other problems do you feel arise at work? Would you consider looking for alternative jobs if this one clearly is not a good personality fit?
Been a few issues to be honest, I felt reprimanded by my manager because really it should have been a situation whereby the student should have been dismissed and I shouldn’t have been told “I can hear you both” because it comes across as demoralising in front of a student.
My manager always tells me to speak if there’s an issue but if I do, she shuts me down.
Finally, yes I am looking for a new job but it’s hard as I can’t see much around
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads