Do universities keep track of your extensions

Watch
Slodge
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I had a quick query regarding university extensions. I have had multiple extensions over the last year and a half for a number of reasons, I've been extremely unlucky with bereavements, illnesses and broken laptops etc. I have provided evidence for all so far and all were granted to me with no dispute. However due to the amount that I have had I am becoming paranoid that this will count against me in my coming years, that I will get into trouble if I ever require one again, or that it will be flagged and they will claim that I have been dishonest. Does anyone know if universities keep track of the number of extensions we have had or are they prejudice at all against people who have required them?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
Hi Slodge do not worry, it will not be held against you. You have provided evidence for each one so you will not to flagged for dishonesty and will be able to apply for as many extensions as you like. There is no prejudice for requiring extensions, people's lives are complicated and extensions are there in order to help relieve some stress and help people achieve their best work, so getting one is entirely understandable. I think they do keep records of each person's request for an extension but this can only be accessed by extension staff and will not hinder your ability to get more extensions through the coming years. The extension team at my university have always been very kind and understanding, and it seems to be the same at yours. Remember, this is a university service like any other, meant to be used by students going through hardships.

I hope this helps, I really wouldn't worry over this

- Rosie
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Slodge)
Hi, I had a quick query regarding university extensions. I have had multiple extensions over the last year and a half for a number of reasons, I've been extremely unlucky with bereavements, illnesses and broken laptops etc. I have provided evidence for all so far and all were granted to me with no dispute. However due to the amount that I have had I am becoming paranoid that this will count against me in my coming years, that I will get into trouble if I ever require one again, or that it will be flagged and they will claim that I have been dishonest. Does anyone know if universities keep track of the number of extensions we have had or are they prejudice at all against people who have required them?
Hi

From personal experiences, the amount of extenuating circumstances you submit does not affect your grades or overall degree classification. There is also no limit of these, after all, life is full of curve balls and universities are accommodating for this. If you do feel like you need some clarification from university staff, this is something your personal tutor could clarify for you and provide you with some reassurance.

Hope this helps,

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Ambassador
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
I think Reality Check has broached this subject previously.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I think Reality Check has broached this subject previously.
Thanks for the tag, AO
(Original post by Slodge)
Short answer: yes, there will (obviously) be a record of how many extensions you have requested, along with which were granted and which were refused. If your programme leader or whoever else deals with such matters has accepted a request for an extension, this implicitly means that they have accepted any evidence which they have asked you to provide. There isn't some sort of underhand, hidden 'agenda' in the background where they're secretly keeping score. Equally, it's a bit bizarre to be asking if they will have some sort of 'prejudice' against a student for whom they have granted extensions. What sort of prejudice did you have mind?

The only time you need to be worried about this is if you have forged evidence or otherwise misled your university's authorities about the substantive nature of your repeated extension requests. I presume this doesn't apply?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Thanks for the tag, AO

Short answer: yes, there will (obviously) be a record of how many extensions you have requested, along with which were granted and which were refused. If your programme leader or whoever else deals with such matters has accepted a request for an extension, this implicitly means that they have accepted any evidence which they have asked you to provide. There isn't some sort of underhand, hidden 'agenda' in the background where they're secretly keeping score. Equally, it's a bit bizarre to be asking if they will have some sort of 'prejudice' against a student for whom they have granted extensions. What sort of prejudice did you have mind?

The only time you need to be worried about this is if you have forged evidence or otherwise misled your university's authorities about the substantive nature of your repeated extension requests. I presume this doesn't apply?
This, this and this.

OP - I have had extensions for both undergrad and postgrad and RC covers it all perfectly!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
This, this and this.

OP - I have had extensions for both undergrad and postgrad and RC covers it all perfectly!
Thank you Noodz
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.41%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.69%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (139)
26.13%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.27%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (256)
48.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.38%

Watched Threads