The Student Room Group

Leeds vs Birmingham vs Nottingham Sport Science

Hi! I am applying to Sport Science and I was wondering what the sporting and laboratory facilities are like in these universities and how close are teachers to students and how passionate regarding their area of study they are. If anyone could tell me something about this it would be fantastic!
Reply 1
Original post by ses2022
Hi! I am applying to Sport Science and I was wondering what the sporting and laboratory facilities are like in these universities and how close are teachers to students and how passionate regarding their area of study they are. If anyone could tell me something about this it would be fantastic!

@University of Birmingham @University of Leeds
Original post by ses2022

Hi,

I am a current Uni of Nottingham student.
So although I don't study sports sciences personally (I take Biology and psychology) there has been some overlap in modules and one of my close friends at uni takes sports science so I have a bit of an insight into it.

I have personally found the lab facilities great. In first year sports science students take a biology module that most people studying a life sciences type of degree take. The labs for this are in the life sciences building or in the med school. From what I know from my friend many of the labs from second year onwards are in the med school so as you can imagine there are great facilities there.
All the lecturers I have come across that are shared with sports science are really accessible and almost all are undertaking some research of their own which they tend to incorporate into their lectures.

The sports facilities at Nottingham are also up to a really high standard. David Ross sports village has everything you could want from a climbing wall, pool, high sports performance centre and many many courts inside and out to name a few of the facilities. Nottingham has always been a really competitive uni for sport and as a uni always do well in the competitive BUCS league.
As part of the sports science course there will also be practical/lab sessions at the sports facilities.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions about Nottingham just let me know,
Emily :smile:
Original post by ses2022

Hi @ses2022,

At Birmingham we have teaching and research labs for physiology, biochemistry, biomechanics, sport psychology, motor skills, and neurophysiology of movement. There is a full list of the labs we have here, be warned, its a lot! :biggrin:

In terms of the community in the School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences, we have one of the larger departments in the UK, and many of the staff who deliver our modules are internationally recognised in their field. This means that the lecturer are really enthusiastic and knowledgeable around the modules that they are teaching.

Current student Luke says "the lecturers are friendly and passionate about their field of research, they are also happy to help students when they have issues with course content or assignments"

Happy to answer any more questions! - Molly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending