How do you accept not getting perfect grades?

Watch
noodlestopshop_
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am in my first year of As-Levels, and tests/exams/assignments are killing me. I am putting my all into these assessments and it kills me when I don't get either an A or the max grade. It's not that I need good grades for university it's more to prove to myself/others my capabilities, but when I don't get what I know I can achieve it really knocks me. I feel really under pressure in exams because I want to make my parents proud. I go to a private school which is quite expensive (my mom pays for it), and all I want is to achieve the top grades to show her that her money is worth it. The other thing is when I achieve high grades my teachers accuse me of cheating/using the mark scheme/plagiarising - all things that I have never done. So either way, I just end up feeling unbelievably de-motivated. I am not planning on going to university, because there is no course for the job I want to train for, so achieving the best A-Level grades feels like my only option to prove myself to others.

Edit: I sat my mocks this week, I don't know my grades yet, but I can't help but feel like I've failed. I know I didn't put in the maximum amount of effort just because I have really lacked the motivation. I'm worried that if I receive a really bad grade it will just push me off the edge, and I'll completely give up. I understand that not everyone's perfect, but it's hard to see that when everyone around you seems to be better than you.

How do you deal with getting a worse grade than you would've liked/expected?
Last edited by noodlestopshop_; 2 weeks ago
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by noodlestopshop_)
I am in my first year of As-Levels, and tests/exams/assignments are killing me. I am putting my all into these assessments and it kills me when I don't get either an A or the max grade. It's not that I need good grades for university it's more to prove to myself/others my capabilities, but when I don't get what I know I can achieve it really knocks me. I feel really under pressure in exams because I want to make my parents proud. I go to a private school which is quite expensive (my mom pays for it), and all I want is to achieve the top grades to show her that her money is worth it. The other thing is when I achieve high grades my teachers accuse me of cheating/using the mark scheme/plagiarising - all things that I have never done. So either way, I just end up feeling unbelievably de-motivated. I am not planning on going to university, because there is no course for the job I want to train for, so achieving the best A-Level grades feels like my only option to prove myself to others.

Hi there.
Perhaps take it one step at a time. The jump from GCSEs to A levels is a big one and no one should be expected to be getting straight A/A* grades so relatively early on. If you put the work in gradually you're likely to see the results and it may just be from a grade D to a grade C but it's a sign of progress - we all have to start off somewhere.

I was awarded a grade D in A level Chemistry and went from that to an A* less than a year later. The key is to recognise progress and be proud of it otherwise you're likely to remain demotivated. I recommend being well organised and prioritising revising topics where you've lost marks on in assessments and past papers etc.

If you work your hardest then you can't regret not trying. I understand you want to make your parents proud however all anyone can ask of you is to try your best.

Best wishes.
Last edited by TriplexA; 2 weeks ago
Jazzmac
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago

Edit: I sat my mocks this week, I don't know my grades yet, but I can't help but feel like I've failed. I know I didn't put in the maximum amount of effort just because I have really lacked the motivation. I'm worried that if I receive a really bad grade it will just push me off the edge, and I'll completely give up. I understand that not everyone's perfect, but it's hard to see that when everyone around you seems to be better than you.

If this is your first year, just take some pressure off of yourself. This is your first round of mocks and A Level is hard. Accept that youre trying as hard as you can and just remember there are people around you who want to help.
I would also recommend not focusing on what others think. Work hard for you, put the effort in for you. The more pressure you take off of yourself the better.
Now, going forward, look at the feedback you have been given, study the grade boundaries and any other queries you have, speak to your teachers. Write improvements, go over material, and as someone who didnt revise as they went along... DO!
Everyone is rooting for you so just use the resources you have and seek advice on how you can eleviate pressure. But dont worry. Its your first year, and your first set of mocks. Just take the feedback and use it as a spring board to go further x
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
...How do you deal with getting a worse grade than you would've liked/expected?
Spend less time on TSR, and you'd suddenly realise that not everyone has all A*s and go to Oxbridge etc.
noodlestopshop_
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.
Perhaps take it one step at a time. The jump from GCSEs to A levels is a big one and no one should be expected to be getting straight A/A* grades so relatively early on. If you put the work in gradually you're likely to see the results and it may just be from a grade D to a grade C but it's a sign of progress - we all have to start off somewhere.

I was awarded a grade D in A level Chemistry and went from that to an A* less than a year later. The key is to recognise progress and be proud of it otherwise you're likely to remain demotivated. I recommend being well organised and prioritising revising topics where you've lost marks on in assessments and past papers etc.

If you work your hardest then you can't regret not trying. I understand you want to make your parents proud however all anyone can ask of you is to try your best.

Best wishes.
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate someone else's opinion. When you say you achieved a grade D and then went up to an A* was the grade D received from say a mock exam? I'm really worried that in my AS-Level I will achieve a lower grade and then because it accounts for a percentage of the official A-Level it will really weigh the final grade down. I have about 3 months 10 days until my official exams, and I'm terrified that if I get a lower grade, it will ruin my chances to achieve a better grade for A2.
noodlestopshop_
Rep:
(Original post by Jazzmac)
If this is your first year, just take some pressure off of yourself. This is your first round of mocks and A Level is hard. Accept that youre trying as hard as you can and just remember there are people around you who want to help.
I would also recommend not focusing on what others think. Work hard for you, put the effort in for you. The more pressure you take off of yourself the better.
Now, going forward, look at the feedback you have been given, study the grade boundaries and any other queries you have, speak to your teachers. Write improvements, go over material, and as someone who didnt revise as they went along... DO!
Everyone is rooting for you so just use the resources you have and seek advice on how you can eleviate pressure. But dont worry. Its your first year, and your first set of mocks. Just take the feedback and use it as a spring board to go further x
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely take your advice on how to relieve the pressure and improve. I think one major thing that panics me is the grade boundaries, I have no idea what they are Do you know of any way to find these?

Edit: Corrected spelling mistake
noodlestopshop_
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Spend less time on TSR, and you'd suddenly realise that not everyone has all A*s and go to Oxbridge etc.
I think that's one reason why I'm suddenly panicking. I don't spend much time on TSR or student forms, but the past few days I've been reading some posts, and it feels like everyone is going to some prestigious university, and has all A*s
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I think that's one reason why I'm suddenly panicking. I don't spend much time on TSR or student forms, but the past few days I've been reading some posts, and it feels like everyone is going to some prestigious university, and has all A*s
Exactly my point, don't read those posts!

In the real world, not everyone has A*s, and not everyone have been to Uni!
Jazzmac
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely take your advice on how to relieve the pressure and improve. I think one major thing that panics me is the grade boundaries, I have no idea what they are Do you know of any way to find these?

Edit: Corrected spelling mistake
Hey! You're so welcome. Trust me if i could do my A Levels again i would, i have so much advice from my own mistakes aha. And from one overthinker to another, pressure is your worst enemy I am terrible for it haha. As for you grade boundaries, ask your teachers if they can print them off for you. You'll usually have to go off of the previous years boundaries but if you can get your teacher to give you them, and even give you one with your marked work, youll find that helps.
Hope this made sense haha x
Little pecker
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
You don’t really you just fail and give enough time to acclimatise to your new normal which is being yourself without xyz grades unfortunately.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
You just fail and that's that.
Food!!
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
then there is me getting D's tbh i dont care anymore
Last edited by Food!!; 2 weeks ago
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
To be fair, recently, there’s been significant grade inflation and you’ll see a lot of people with a raft of A*s/ 9/ 8s from TAGs/CAGs, so I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on grades you see from 2020 and 2021.
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate someone else's opinion. When you say you achieved a grade D and then went up to an A* was the grade D received from say a mock exam? I'm really worried that in my AS-Level I will achieve a lower grade and then because it accounts for a percentage of the official A-Level it will really weigh the final grade down. I have about 3 months 10 days until my official exams, and I'm terrified that if I get a lower grade, it will ruin my chances to achieve a better grade for A2.
My grade D was the official exam result grade in 2020. I'm not sure about AS I didn't do AS levels however I thought that AS grades didn't contribute in any way to your actual A level grades?
Last edited by TriplexA; 2 weeks ago
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago

There's a huge difference from GCSEs to Alevel and from Alevel to Uni.

You can't expect yourself to get perfect grades or near perfect grades in every single exam and assignment. You have to learn to accept that you're human. Lower your standards for yourself, but push yourself to study hard. Aim to learn and understand, not just memorise.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
AS in England are stand alone qualifications - they don't count towards the final A level grade.
noodlestopshop_
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
AS in England are stand alone qualifications - they don't count towards the final A level grade.
I study with the Cambridge International Examinations board. I have to sit two papers at the end of year one that individually contribute 50% to the As-Level and 25% to the A-Level

Edit: This is for all except one subject which I study for with OCR.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I study with the Cambridge International Examinations board. I have to sit two papers at the end of year one that individually contribute 50% to the As-Level and 25% to the A-Level
Where did you say that?
noodlestopshop_
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Where did you say that?
I forgot to mention it, sorry. I thought all exam boards followed this approach, except for ones which require coursework.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I forgot to mention it, sorry. I thought all exam boards followed this approach, except for ones which require coursework.
No, A levels are linear in England.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (18)
7.29%
October 2021 (117)
47.37%
November 2021 (25)
10.12%
December 2021 (32)
12.96%
January 2021 (21)
8.5%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.53%